Report: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking

Ice is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.

The results of ice-core drilling and sea ice monitoring indicate there is no large-scale melting of ice over most of Antarctica, although experts are concerned at ice losses on the continent’s western coast.
Antarctica has 90 percent of the Earth’s ice and 80 percent of its fresh water, The Australian reports. Extensive melting of Antarctic ice sheets would be required to raise sea levels substantially, and ice is melting in parts of west Antarctica. The destabilization of the Wilkins ice shelf generated international headlines this month.
However, the picture is very different in east Antarctica, which includes the territory claimed by Australia.
East Antarctica is four times the size of west Antarctica and parts of it are cooling. The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research report prepared for last week’s meeting of Antarctic Treaty nations in Washington noted the South Pole had shown “significant cooling in recent decades.”

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517035,00.html

A paper to be published soon by the British Antarctic Survey in the journal Geophysical Research Letters is expected to confirm that over the past 30 years, the area of sea ice around the continent has expanded. Read story here.

see this detailed analysis that puts the Wilkins in perspective to the massive Antarctic ice sheet and this analysis by John McLean showing why the so called Wilkins collapse was another NSIDC, BAS and mainstream media con job.

See full image from Cryosphere today here.

See also this story from the Australian where a Russian sea captain says “I see just more and more ice, not less ice.”

Global sea ice extent (red line is this year, yes, it is above the others):

ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/seaice/extent/AMSRE_Sea_Ice_Extent.png

I’m sure some environmentalist will patiently explain that global warming sometimes causes global cooling.

Wow, the sad thing is…I’m too ignorant to understand if you are being sarcastic or not.

I think there was some sarcasm there, but also the truth. They have to cover their tail on the millions they have milked out of people on global warming.

I was being sarcastic. It seems that data which tends to contradict the global warming belief usually gets ignored or explained away.

Either that, or they have no idea what they’re talking about.

“When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout.”

Or maybe just maybe…it doesn;t contradict warming. People need to realize that not every instance of cooling or ice gaining or what not means global warming is ending or never happened or whatever. Interestingly enough it seems the Australian twisted the actual views of scientists harryrclarke.com/2009/04/18/propaganda-scepticism-toward-climate-science/
Anyway as for explanations here is one possible one. skepticalscience.com/Why-is-Antarctic-sea-ice-increasing.html Link to the paper mentioned here. psc.apl.washington.edu/zhang/Pubs/Zhang_Antarctic_20-11-2515.pdf

I would recommend reading these as well. nsidc.org/seaice/characteristics/difference.html

wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1178

[quote=Calliso]Or maybe just maybe…it doesn;t contradict warming. People need to realize that not every instance of cooling or ice gaining or what not means global warming is ending or never happened or whatever.
[/quote]

:rotfl:

We have about as much of an effect on the warming and cooling stages of this planet as ants do.

Ants breathe, don’t they? Shame on them. :rolleyes:

I second that:p

Important to keep collecting and studying these data.

Volcanic activity has been discovered in Antarctica which likely contributed to the collapse of the ice shelf known as Larsen B.

nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=100385

There was also a recent volcanic eruption in Alaska. Greenland has been experiencing increased underground heating.

But, global warming needs to be kept at the near hysteria level since fear leads to funding. Hopefully, a large group of people who make decisions regarding this bring up the rest of the facts.

Peace,
Ed

Ed,

Your last paragraph is right absolutely on the mark.

Here is an article in which the humongous amount of Indonesian natural gas being developed might have a bearing on why domestically produced U.S. fuels are being kept off the market … using hysteria as the device.

Remember that President Clinton removed large U.S. coal deposits from the market; then we learned that the Riady family has huge coal deposits in Indonesia.

Well, there are much larger deposits of Indonesian natural gas than we thought:

seekingalpha.com/article/133253-natural-gas-is-heading-to-1997-levels-should-stay-there-awhile

Right… and no where in that quote did I say that cooling or ice gaining is evidence of global warming. I donlt actually think that. My point is deniers seem to jump on just about every instance of so called cooling or snowfall or what and like to claim it disproves global warming. And many times they donlt even ask themselves why these things occur. Like the Antartic sea ice gain. It seems many skeptics just automatically assume it contradicts warming without asking WHY it is happening.

Right… and I am sure you know more the the majority of the major scientific organizations on the planet and the majority of the climate scientists right? I mean clearly your grasp of how climate works is beyond what those who have studied this issue for years right?

And I mean last time I checked ants werent burning fossil fuels and putting billions of tons of co2 into the atmosphere every year.
But these sort of silly responses are one reason I have such a hard time taking most things deniers say seriously. I mean many of them can;t even make a serious argument!

Another post I would recommend reading. skepticalscience.com/How-to-cherry-pick-your-way-to-Antarctic-land-ice-gain.html

Some friends on another forum complained that the link got broken in translation.

Here is the link again:

seekingalpha.com/article/133253-natural-gas-is-heading-to-1997-levels-should-stay-there-awhile

Here’s the deal:

From about the year 1000 10,000 Vikings lived in Greenland, which was warm enough for agriculture at the time. They had to move in 1340 because it got too cold. In the 1600s they had so-called Frost Fairs on the river Thames in London, because the ice was thick enough to support thousands of people and ox carts.

Right now the planet is about 1 degree Fahrenheit warmer (on average, whatever that means) than the late 1800s. 1871 was the coldest year since the last Ice Age according to GISP II, one of the Greenland Ice core projects. Temperatures went up until the 1940s (before we started releasing much CO2), then down until 1980 (when we did release a fair amount of CO2), then up again until 1998. Now it’s flatlining or going slightly down (as we are releasing even more CO2.)

Plants need about 200 PPM of atmospheric CO2 to survive. In 1900 there was about 280 PPM in the atmosphere, after the little Ice Age. Now we are at 380 PPM. In greenhouses they keep the concentration at around 1,500 to 2,000 PPM, because plants grow really well with more CO2 in the air. CO2 becomes toxic to human beings at 80,000 PPM. The Earth is basically a CO2-eating ecosystem.

Global temperatures before the 1930s were measured by the British Navy, who would roam the seven seas and go out on the bridge and read the thermometer every morning. One day the thermometer would be in the sun, the next it would be in the shade. The next day it would rain. The next day the mate was hung over and got it wrong.

The only country that has any kind of decent temperature measurements over the last 100 years is the United States. Measuring stations in the States that have not been engulfed by cities (heat island effect) show little or no temperature increases.

In 1958 and 1959 the nuclear submarine USS Skate surfaced at the North Pole in open water, or through very thin ice. The Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen sailed through the Northwest Passage in 1926, when it was ice free.

Please contact Al Gore if you want his side of the story.

Your exactly right, I mean you nailed it. I was afraid peope would not be able to extract the amount of scientific thought that went into my statement. It must have taken you hours of examination on my comment to come up with a reply like that.

I subscribe to Common Sense weekly, ever heard of it? I miss an issue now and then but I do my best.

And I mean last time I checked ants werent burning fossil fuels and putting billions of tons of co2 into the atmosphere every year.
But these sort of silly responses are one reason I have such a hard time taking most things deniers say seriously. I mean many of them can;t even make a serious argument!

Well, lets see. The compilation of data that I have studied showed that the atmosphere is about 98 percent water vapor and through that and sun beams from heaven is how this earth is warmed. I’m not going to go into the details of it because I dont remember them. So that leaves us with about 2 percent of gases, which I’m not exactly sure how much is natural and how much is man made but the percentage is insignificant so I dont really care.

The bottom line is, man has nothing to do with global warming. And, Al Gore needs your money so he can lie to you about it. There is plenty of facts out there that pretty much sum his movie up as a joke.

My belief is that the sun is the primary decision maker in what our earths climate is like.

I can provide links if you would like, but Google would probably produce a few million more results than I will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.