Report finds Australian troops unlawfully killed 39 Afghans

Report finds Australian troops unlawfully killed 39 Afghans

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — A shocking Australian military report into war crimes has found evidence that elite Australian troops unlawfully killed 39 Afghan prisoners, farmers and civilians.

Australian Defence Force Chief Gen. Angus Campbell said Thursday the shameful record included alleged instances in which new patrol members would shoot a prisoner in order to achieve their first kill in a practice known as “blooding.” He said the soldiers would then plant weapons and radios to support false claims the prisoners were enemies killed in action.

Campbell told reporters in Canberra the illegal killings began in 2009, with the majority occurring in 2012 and 2013. He said some members of the elite Special Air Service encouraged “a self-centered, warrior culture.”

One thing that happens if we stay in Afghanistan, our soldiers can be vulnerable to attacks, we try to minimize that but also, war crimes can occur.

There has been talk of these potential war crimes for a few months now.

One might note, many countries have been in Afghanistan, international community, NATO. I think most countries have withdrawn now leaving us and not many others at this point.

While I’m sorry to see this as the Oz forces have a generally very high reputation I also commend them for having the integrity to do it and not hide the matter.

1 Like

They’re still trying to send the whistleblower that revealed many of these crimes to prison.

That happened as I recall with one of the blokes who revealed a massacre during the Vietnam War. Of course if the whistleblower had some involvement himself I’d say some punishment is due but the sentence should be mitigated if he revealed what was going on.

Wish the US had the same integrity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.