Report: ISIS, Syrian rebels reach ceasefire

Moderate Syrian rebels and the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) reportedly struck a cease-fire deal on Friday, according to a group that has monitored Syria’s civil war.

The groups agreed to a non-aggression pact in which they promised not to attack each other.

The development could influence members of Congress to vote “no” on an authorization to train and equip moderate rebel groups as early as next week. The White House has requested the authorization, but some lawmakers have already been skeptical the opposition groups can be trusted.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group based in the United Kingdom, said the groups reached the agreement in a suburb of Damascus, Syria’s capital.

Under the deal, "the two parties will respect a truce until a final solution is found and they promise not to attack each other because they consider the principal enemy to be the Nussayri regime,” Agence France-Presse reported.
Nussayri is a negative term for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s Alawite regime.

This comes as House lawmakers mull over the option to provide Obama with the authorization to train and arm the Syrian rebels. A vote on a short-term spending bill was delayed this week after the White House asked House Republicans to attach the authorization to the bill.

It’s possible GOP leaders might decide to hold a separate vote on the authorization to equip the rebels.

Some Republicans and Democrats have long called on the administration arm the rebels, but other lawmakers in both parties are afraid the weapons could wind up in the wrong hands.

thehill.com/policy/international/217645-syrian-rebels-isis-agree-to-non-aggression-pact

Which merely goes to show that there isn’t a good option in Syria.

Whomever we support with weapons, will be turned against us and those we’re trying to protect, i.e. Christian minorities.

Fact is, Assad protected the Christians and Putin supports Assad.

So does Iran.

We support the rebel groups and support terrorists groups who will turn against us in doing so.

Jim

Granted its disturbing, but the Iran, Syria path Putin path humm. Thats why I keep saying Congress, UN. The blind are leading the blind. Looks like Obama just wants Assad gone when really he could be worked with, they all kill Christians. Now it could be some are easier to work with than others. But when he have China and Russia saying…UN I have to agree. Who are we to ignore the other two world powers. Everyone wants Isis gone, that all agree on.

They can’t be too smart. They could have kept it quiet until they got to share out the $1/2 billion. :slight_smile:

This is a surprise. I wonder if Putin and Assad had a discussion.

Or did Obama’s speech scare ISIS?

I remember hearing about side-switching going on in the early stages in Afghanistan.

The US has been supporting the FSA all along, and now it appears that the FSA is in some sort of agreement with ISIS, the declared enemy of the USA.

The FSA has a number of fronts. One is in the suburbs of Damascus. This must be the area they are talking about.

Believe it or not, I’m not the least bit surprised.

I think the United Nations should have a central role in this. What exactly that role would be, I don’t know.

Listening to the experts on Meet The Press, this morning, especially Richard Engel, there is no coalition of Sunni Nations to take on ISIS as President Obama stated.

Turkey which is a key nation for this to have any chance, is not going to commit itself and Engel’s stated that the recent beheading of the British Journalists by ISIS, was a message to Turkey not to take up the fight with the US and Britain. ISIS has 49 Turkish diplomats as prisoners, who they will kill if Turkey aids the West.

Also, Engels said the Iraqi army is under control of Iran, and is not able to take out ISIS because they are reluctant to go into Sunni areas of Iraq to help them.

Also, former Sec of State James Baker explained that after Saddam was forced out of Kuwait, critics said we should’ve taken out Saddam Hussein. Baker said, the reason the H.W. Bush administration chose not to, is because what we’re seeing today is what they knew would happen if Saddam was taken out.

The problem is, when Baker was asked if George W. Bush should not have taken out Saddam, he changed the subject to what we need to do now, which he really didn’t have an answer on.

After listening to the program, I’m convinced, the US needs to get out of the Middle East, 100%.

Stop providing military weapons to Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and other Arab nations. If they won’t fight ISIS, what good are they to us anyway ?

Let them fight on their own and if ISIS becomes the power of the Middle East, those Arab nations will have to learn to live with what they were unwilling to stop.

Lastly. Turkey should be kicked out of NATO.

Jim

I don’t see any way around the UN. We need to re-think this for sure. We need to stay at max where we are at, and not escalate this situation. We are being drawn into bull as usual. I would highly advise that we all agree to stop this and rethink our plan.

The US government is saying this report of a ceasefire is bogus.

I thought the news a little unbelievable.

But if ISIS becomes the main power in the Middle East then religious freedom for Christians and other minorities in the Middle East will become pretty much extinct. That’s not to mention that if they become the main power in the Middle East then they will be a much bigger threat to the rest of the world as well.

I honestly believe that somehow the United Nations or some coalition of nations must intervene and stop ISIS or else we’re going to face a very scary future.

Maybe the two groups can start holding joint beheadings.

Please don’t give them any ideas!!! :eek:

Holly

But if ISIS becomes the main power in the Middle East then religious freedom for Christians and other minorities in the Middle East will become pretty much extinct.

It already has in Syria and Iraq.

That’s not to mention that if they become the main power in the Middle East then they will be a much bigger threat to the rest of the world as well.

That will depend. They’ll have to sell oil, it’s the only commodity that has value on world markets. They won’t be able to sustain themselves on religious ideology alone.

I honestly believe that somehow the United Nations or some coalition of nations must intervene and stop ISIS or else we’re going to face a very scary future.

It’s a Middle East problem which the UN is pretty much incompetent on.

Even the Israeli’s told the UN get out of Gaza, before they invaded that area back in 1967.

Jim

Regardless of whether or not the Free Syrian Army has a truce with Isis, there have already been numerous reports of FSA units now working with the Al-Nusra Front, who are almost as bad as Isis, and they’re also pretty openly allied with the Islamic Front, who admit to having at least some hardline Salafists in there ranks.

Lastly. Turkey should be kicked out of NATO.

This would be a more viable option if Russia wasn’t invading the Ukraine and harassing our allies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.