Report: Some Cardinals Want Pope Francis to Resign, Fear Schism Worse Than The Reformation

According to a report in The London Times and best selling Catholic author and journalist Antonio Socci, about 12 cardinals who have supported Pope Francis since his election in March 2013 now fear that his controversial reforms may cause a schism in the Church, and so they hope to pressure the Pope to resign.

cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/report-some-cardinals-want-pope-franics-resign-fear-schism-worse-reformation

What can one say other than this has become extremely serious? But I believe it has been a long time coming, at least for half a century. Whatever the truth of the article might be, it cannot be a good sign that articles like this are appearing.

I don’t pay much attention to what secular papers write. They usually get it wrong or deliberately deform statements given and have a tendency to play “chicken little”.

They do not exist,Thomas. Faceless,nameless gossip and trashing.
And the pride to feel above a worm.
It isn t even serious. It is pathetic .
And more pathetic still to devote the time to gather obscure and anonymous info .If there is any.
Guess it is high time to let go of all this surreality.

Understood that P. Francis is mischaracterized by the secular press; we are used to that and have learned how to test fact sources.

Understood that P. Francis speaks occasionally (actually quite often) from his own personal understanding and feelings (as we all do) and gets reported as “The Pope Says!”

Understood there is enormous context of language, culture, and context that needs to be understood.

Therefore, because your two millennia of history cannot be ignored nor should it, do not take for granted that just any cultural opinion that leaks from the Vatican is needful of vigorous defending.

Well so what? I have similar problems in my own ecclesia. At this point in time when it may be needful for the Christian community to draw closer to each other in the name of our savior Jesus Christ public statements from the top are causing disconcertion. Yes, some (even many) of the protestant leaders are exercising poor judgment. I’ll do my best to keep my dogs curbed will you please exercise similar vigilance.

Beloved in Christ, us poor covenant, or dispensational protestant believers wouldn’t be able to articulate the most minimal thoughts if the early church had not preserved the Word of God to Christ’s glory. And the fundamentals of the faith were canonized under great duress such that even today we can say amen to the Nicene and Apostles creed. Please keep your standards Godwards and resist the accommodation of the du jour. Any seeming accommodation of the du jour will not serve well with my side and it really shouldn’t serve well with yours. When any of our beloved leaders make proclamations that confuse the faith we need to react appropriately.

Because we are servants of Jesus Christ let us draw closer to each other in the creed we all confess so that me may rejoice together when He comes for us in His glory.

I will wait until this report is confirmed to be true before commenting directly on the matter at hand. I have my doubts because I wonder how such a serious plan could find its way to a secular paper before others so close to the church are aware of it? In any case, prayer is the best response. Whatever happens, my thought has always been that it would take a miracle to undo the effects of the problems that have arisen: something to fully restore the confidence of those whose faith has been rocked not just by this but by the sexual abuse scandal. I pray something happens ala Fatima, to aid the faith of many weak souls like me! that the church is and always will be the pillar and foundation of truth.

Christ Jesus is still on the throne, subsequent manifestations may not be on the same level as Jesus. Keep your faith, pray with an earnest and joyful heart.

Wouldn’t that be great?- Yet another Pope breaking with tradition and resigning. So what then- TWO POPES EMERITUSs? Why not go for three or four more Popes EMERITUSs? Looks like Peter’s captain’s chair is going through a high turnover rate lately and the boat’s-a-rocking in the secular waves!

Non RC Christians should be the last (outside of seculars and anti Christians) to interject voting opinions on Vatican leadership. None of us outsiders ever were asked and our opinions never were considered. This is well as it should be.

Please try as best as you can (and you have enormous ability) to comprehend the Christian non Catholic view of P. Francis news reports. Please understand, to those of us protestants who want to somehow reconcile with you all; P. Francis seems to want to resonate with world politics. This is anathema to us even if were to come from our own (non Catholic) leadership.

You are wise to resist emotion and await documention.

I have seen the view and sentiments you describe shared by many catholics. I dont think this a protestant thing. A big part of it has to do with media distortions from day 1. But the imbalanced (in my opinion) way in which the pope has treated “traditionalist sinners” and their emphases versus sexual sinners in the midst of a move in the church to undermine the teaching of marriage has also contributed a great deal to that view.

Wow! your effectual concerns evoke our generation.

Catholics have their own historical and immediate concerns in this regard. It is significant! So I won’t brush it aside. Now other equivalent (non Catholic) issues have arisen. I am not RC however as an elder I have had to deal with these problems. Beloved in Christ leadership all too often uses their authority and adulation to acquire for themselves convenient pleasures. Such is the nature of man, while ecclesia is supposed to be the nature of God it unfortunately acquires the nature of man.

Here it is (whether Catholic or not); if a challenge against your faithful leader is made or proved; the natural inclination is to deny (who would charge the parish priest). "Would the gracious and faithful proclamation of God’s Holy word fail in the minimal judgment? Would we or anyone else fail as well? Failure in this regard is the record of humankind. Catholic perversion is not excused. Other so called Christian (or even Cstholic) pervesersions are also not excused.

Priests and non Catholic protestants have failed as well by my witness! They were all (hopefully) servants of God who failed miserably in personal constraint. Before we give an easy pass to possible perversions, let us ever endear the requirements even of us all. We must hold our early leaders to task for the sake of our immediate families but for the the eternal sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ in its entirety.

So here it is (whether Catholic or not); if a challenge against your faithful leader is made or proved; the natural in clination is to deny (who would charge the parish priest). "Would the gracious and faithful proclamaitor of God’s Holy word fail in the minimal judgment? Would we or anyone else fail as well? Failure in this regard is the record of humankind.

Priests and non Catholic protestants have failed as well by my witness! They were all (hopefully) servants of God who failed miserably in personal constraint. Before we give an easy pass to possible perversions, let us endear the requirements; even of us all. We must hold our early leaders to task for the sake of our immediate families but for the the eternal sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ in its entirety.

Trust in pope Francis! He knows things that are well beyond us! Pope Francis is very gospel orientated.

I will place my trust in Jesus. Pope Francis is a human being whose heart only God can read.

Francis won’t resign and they just want another liberal Pope they can control.

We would do better to have a traditional Cardinal like Burke if these Cardinals are so worried he’s going to destroy the church.

Maybe they should resign they voted Francis in its their fault.

All I can do is pray for the Pope and all the clergy I have no control of where this ship sails.

Getting angry at Pope Francis or the clergy is like getting angry at a wall.

Im just a lay person there is nothing I can do or say to control what our leaders do.

The best thing I can do is pray for them.

Do you think that Pope Francis is following Christ’s Gospels?

The problem is why are most Catholics, and everyone else, so glued to the media? This is the Tyranny of the Urgent. It’s bad enough when we lurch towards relatively credible sources for the Information of the Moment. But now even second and third hand sources will suffice.

When responsible parties don’t have anything to say, we lurch towards anyone. Various people are ordained by the Media as “Friends of the Pope”. Apparently this is a new title created in the Church hierarchy. Apparently papal infallibly carries over to them, too, at least when speaking ex cathedra to the media. And of course we gobble up the words of every press release, leaping to conclusions. Time for another CAF thread.

Can you imagine in Catholics would cut their media time in half, and spend that time in prayer and the bible?

I doubt this is real. If anyone is floating this idea its probably a small group, maybe even just a couple of Cardinals. This is simply a trial balloon to see if they can find anyone with similar ideas.
However, I doubt its even that much. Probably just a writer trying to get clicks and ad revenue.
Pope Francis is enormously popular amongst the faithful. Forcing him to resign would cause more problems than they’re hoping to avoid.

“Schism worse than reformation”?

I kinda doubt that.

What exactly is so terrible that Pope Francis changed? :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.