Reporting cheating

A while ago I asked a question about a girl who was cheating on a French test by writing down the spelling of a couple words, but this is kind of different. I have a friend who found the teacher’s answer key for a quiz and photographed all the answers the day before taking it. he showed them to me. I know we’re supposed to think the best of everybody but I don’t think there’s any way around having photographs of the answer key on your phone before taking the quiz. I don’t want to report it, I don’t want to be “that” person (because he’ll know it was me, I’m the only one who would, and we’re normally friends so that would absolutely suck), but I’m wondering if I’m obligated to.

I don’t know whether it’s your responsibility to report this person or not. I lean on the side of not because they are only cheating themselves and will never actually profit from it. On the other hand, it could help them if they were caught because it might be the thing that will help to steer them onto the road of honesty.

I assume that if someone is willing to cheat on a test, they are also dishonest in other aspects of their lives.

It’s a difficult call, is there someway you could alert the instructor anonymously?

I know that when we were in college, students had a student-enforced honor code to deal with cheating and plagiarism issues. We policed ourselves on it, basically. It was actually a very good system.

I think it might depend on your school policy. If you have agreed to abide by school policies, then I would take a look at your student handbook or wherever you might find that policy to see what the requirement is.

Even if you are not required to tell, I lean towards telling, even if it means you lose a friend. It does no good to enable someone in dishonest behavior, IMO.

An obligation is something that is not to be taken lightly. I would discuss these kinds of situations with a priest/Confessor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.