Reports emerge of teens convulsing from 'Charlie Charlie' game

Bogotá, Colombia, Jul 15, 2016 / 06:24 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A Colombian news outlet has reported convulsions and other strange behaviors in 22 local teenagers who allegedly played “Charlie Charlie,” a simplified version of Ouija that became popular a year ago.

The game consists of a pair of pencils or pens, a piece of paper and the invocation of a demonic spirit named “Charlie” who answers “yes” or “no” to questions put to him.

Several days ago, almost two dozen young people between 12 and 15 years-old from the same school started to convulse and behave strangely. They were taken to the health center in the town of Nóvita in Colombia, not far from the Pacific coast and Panama border.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/reports-emerge-of-teens-convulsing-from-charlie-charlie-game-95597/

Because all teens who actually strange are possessed by demons:rolleyes:

This is likely just kids seeking attention.

The article doesn’t claim that. You are the only one who claims that. Do you care to back up your claim?

I think you missed the joke. :slight_smile:

OP - check out Snopes. People - especially teens - can be very suggestible.

Demons are very real, and messing around with occult ways of obtaining knowledge is a way of inviting them in. It’s not something to take lightly.

I don’t take demons lightly - but I don’t take the silly games of teens seriously.

Demons, or possessions, or by whatever name such phenomena goes by, teenagers have traditionally been very susceptible to such negative spiritual energy.

Teenagers would be the group that we ought to be most concerned about when it comes to demons, I think.

By adulthood, people actively choose the dark side. For teenagers, they get swept up by it.

From: csicop.org/si/show/mass_delusions_and_hysterias_highlights_from_the_past_millennium

Mass hysteria is characterized by the rapid spread of conversion disorder, a condition involving the appearance of bodily complaints for which there is no organic basis. In such episodes, psychological distress is converted or channeled into physical symptoms. There are two common types: anxiety hysteria and motor hysteria. The former is of shorter duration, usually lasting a day, and is triggered by the sudden perception of a threatening agent, most commonly a strange odor. Symptoms typically include headache, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, and general weakness. Motor hysteria is prevalent in intolerable social situations such as strict school and religious settings where discipline is excessive. Symptoms include trance-like states, melodramatic acts of rebellion known as histrionics, and what physicians term “psychomotor agitation” (whereby pent-up anxiety built up over a long period results in disruptions to the nerves or neurons that send messages to the muscles, triggering temporary bouts of twitching, spasms, and shaking). Motor hysteria appears gradually over time and usually takes weeks or months to subside (Wessely 1987; Bartholomew and Sirois 1996). The term mass hysteria is often used inappropriately to describe collective delusions, as the overwhelming majority of participants are not exhibiting hysteria, except in extremely rare cases. In short, all mass hysterias are collective delusions as they involve false or exaggerated beliefs, but only rarely do collective delusions involve mass hysteria as to do so, they must report illness symptoms.

There are more articles if you google “mass delusions.”

Reminds me of the Salem Witchcraft Hysteria. Probably very similar to what the girls experienced in Salem. Mass hysteria is not unknown, and teenagers are susceptible to this type of thing, as their emotions are volatile.

And the more recent accusations of day care workers practicing witchcraft & sexually abusing the children in their care. Not a shred of truth in any of the accusations - yet innocent people went to prison. At least 2 of the cases were instigated by mentally ill people.

This is why, back in the 90’s, I insisted on a gate for the childcare room so I could leave the door open. I knew it would be impossible to counter accusations of abuse if the door was closed.

The devil is so much stronger than a man.

Charlie Charlie,” a simplified version of Ouija that became popular a year ago.

That looks like “Charlie Charlie” spells “Ouija Ouija”.
And there are gobs of threads on what Ouija has done.

I wouldn’t play Carlie Charlie nor Ouija because to me they sound like divination.

BUT the vague claims of “girls behaving strangely” sound just like the sort of thing that kicked off the Salem witch trials.

Wikipedia:

In Salem Village, in February 1692, Betty Parris, age 9, and her cousin Abigail Williams, age 11, the daughter and niece, respectively, of Reverend Samuel Parris, began to have fits described as “beyond the power of Epileptic Fits or natural disease to effect” by John Hale, the minister of the nearby town of Beverly.[25] The girls screamed, threw things about the room, uttered strange sounds, crawled under furniture, and contorted themselves into peculiar positions, according to the eyewitness account of Rev. Deodat Lawson, a former minister in Salem Village.[26] The girls complained of being pinched and pricked with pins. A doctor, historically assumed to be William Griggs, could find no physical evidence of any ailment. Other young women in the village began to exhibit similar behaviors. When Lawson preached as a guest in the Salem Village meetinghouse, he was interrupted several times by outbursts of the afflicted.[27]
The first three people accused and arrested for allegedly afflicting Betty Parris, Abigail Williams, 12-year-old Ann Putnam, Jr., and Elizabeth Hubbard, were Sarah Good, Sarah Osborne, and Tituba. Some historians believe that the accusation by Ann Putnam Jr. suggests that a family feud may have been a major cause of the witch trials. At the time, a vicious rivalry was underway between the Putnam and Porter families, one which deeply polarized the people of Salem. Citizens would often have heated debates, which escalated into full-fledged fighting, based solely on their opinion of the feud.[28]
Good was a homeless beggar, known to seek food and shelter from neighbors. She was accused of witchcraft because of her appalling reputation. At her trial, she was accused of rejecting Puritan ideals of self-control and discipline when she chose to torment and “scorn [children] instead of leading them towards the path of salvation”

I have 2 teenagers.
Perhaps not demons.

Aliens.

Perhaps we don’t.
But creatures on the other side of the game do.

We should be cautious the silly games we allow.

Maybe we should approach this phenomenon like the Church does.

First the Church seeks to find a natural explanation first before attributing it to the actions of demons.

We must not hurriedly jump to conclusions without a sober consideration of the facts. To do otherwise would give us witch hunts where innocent people and animals suffered and died.

The only problem is, our modern day church pretty much agrees with modern secular science on just about everything, I cant remember the last topic on which the church disagreed with the secular ‘experts’. Secular science will NEVER credit something as truly supernatural or demonic.

I have a feeling people back in the times when demons were blamed for everything, I feel they may have been right all along about most of these things, and its only our ‘modern’ world who no longer wants to have anything to do with the supernatural.

I would even go as far to say when the second coming happens and Jesus is coming down surrounded by angels, our secular science experts will try to explain it as ‘something else’ entirely! lol

Faaaaaake. Or the kid has an actual neurological problem.

I was thinking drugs. Maybe they were nibbling on the wrong kind of mushroom or datura plants or something.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.