Repository of Catholic Facts?

(Hopefully, this is the correct forum in which to ask this question.)

I volunteer to work on a parish electronic newsletter, which includes a “Did You Know” section containing one or two short paragraphs of Catholic-related facts: aspects of the Church, background of the Mass, etc. that might not be common knowledge.

Right now I am having troubles finding facts that might not be well-known, but which may be interesting to readers.

Is there a convenient repository of Catholic-related facts from which I could gather material for this section? A web site or book recommendation would be nice.

[quote="David2010, post:1, topic:197115"]
Is there a convenient repository of Catholic-related facts from which I could gather material for this section? A web site or book recommendation would be nice.

[/quote]

The Catechism? ;)

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that fits with exactly what you're looking for. If you're browsing the net, you might look for places that offer weekly bulletin inserts. I know they're out there, and some of them may have something like what you describe. You would then just have to contact the publisehr about using any of their material in your newsletter.

Another possibility is Catholics United for the Faith. They have a large collection of hundreds of "Faith Facts" that answer a number of the questions people most frequently ask in regards to the Catholic faith. Each "Faith Fact" is a few pages long once printed out, but it usually begins with a one or two paragraph summation before going into the details.

For example, their Faith Fact on Indulgences starts out thus:

ISSUE: What is an indulgence? How do you obtain them? For whom can an indulgence be gained?

RESPONSE: An indulgence remits temporal punishment[1] or consequences due to sins for which we have already been forgiven. The Church dispenses indulgences when, as a minister of Christ’s Redemption, “she dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfaction won by Christ and the saints.”[2] We gain an indulgence when we are properly disposed and perform prescribed penitential actions. Indulgences are either partial or plenary, so named because they remove either part (partial) or all (plenary) of the temporal punishment due to actual sin.[3] Through God’s grace and the intercession of the saints, indulgences magnify the power of our penitential actions, remitting the temporal consequences of some or all of our sins.

Christians living on earth and in the state of grace can obtain indulgences, and they may do so only for themselves or a deceased member of the Body of Christ.

After the "Response" comes the "Discussion." So, perhaps you could use the "Issue" and "Response" and direct the reader to CUF for a more detailed discussion. I would definitely contact CUF and ask permission before doing this, though. I would think they'd be happy to let you use their material provided you give them credit.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know! :thumbsup:

quote="David2010, post:1, topic:197115"

I volunteer to work on a parish electronic newsletter, which includes a “Did You Know” section containing one or two short paragraphs of Catholic-related facts: aspects of the Church, background of the Mass, etc. that might not be common knowledge.

Right now I am having troubles finding facts that might not be well-known, but which may be interesting to readers.

[/quote]

The Aggie Catholics blog has a list today that may help: What Every Catholic Should Know

The Treasury of Catholic Wisdom, edited by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J. contains a great deal of information and it is nice because it is in one place.

You could check the Catholic Almanac. It is equivalent to the World Almanac, and also comes out in updated form every year. A copy may well be in your local library.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.