REPOST: Why did God not call the second day of creation "good?"

Did God forget, or does the omission contain deep religious meaning?

LOVE! :heart:

I think because he said two things were good on the third day.
Or, day two and the first half of day three equaled the creation of “heaven and earth”.
Or, because day 2 was the creation of “space”, which is just an empty expanse between or dividing water already created.

And you realize I am making all this up.

:hmmm:

While I don’t necessarily endorse this interpretation, some scholars note that the term “good” in the first creation story is in relation to things that are beneficial for humanity. Therefore, since nothing was created on the second day that was specifically beneficial to humanity (the land was still submerged under the deep) it is not called good.

I somehow think that the ‘Our Father’ provides a hint.

One thing we know is that God created us out of His love. But there must a purpose. My guess is that some of us will become His adoptive children in Heaven, while others will become servants. Perhaps interesting is that in much of Judaism, believe that they will inherit the earth in the world to come. Today they see that this world the absolute lowest in terms of good spirit, but they believe things are going to change so drastically that the best spirit, much higher than the other three heavenly worlds, will take place here. This is where the righteous, whether Christian or Jew or any other religion will inherit.

Today, it is clear to see that it’s a work in progress.

As for me, I’m not worried where I’m at in this hierarchy just as long as it’s governed the highest order of love. Heck, even if I was a lowly shoe-shine boy, I would love my occupation for all the good spirit God that He bestows on me.

I asked a Rabbi. Here is what he said.

Hi Robert,

That is a great observation, and is discussed by the sages of the Talmud!

The Rabbis explain, that something can only be considered good once it is completed, meaning thatit has reached its ultimate goal an purpose. On the second day of creation, God created the firmament and separated the waters, yet there was not yet dry land, which was to be ultimate goal of creation. So long as there is no dry land for man to live on, the stage has not yet been set for man to fulfill his purpose in this world, and to bring the world to its completion.

It is specifically on the third day, when God separated the dry land from the waters, that the creation of the waters is considered “good” as well. Now that everything is in place for man to fulfill his mission, the water and firmament are “good” as well.

If you look again you will see, that on the third day of creation it says that it was good twice. Based on the above this is explained as well. There was one “good” for the special creation of the third day, dry land and vegetation, and a second “good” for the completion of yesterdays creations, the separation of the waters and the heavens. It is only following the creation of the third day, that the second days achievements are considered good as well.

The spiritual significance in this idea is clear.

The entire purpose of creation was for man, and for the mission that God had in store for him. Everything else that was created was merely in order to assist man in achieving his purpose, and was but a prelude to the creation of man. As human beings in this world, we have the unique responsibility in bringing the world to its completion, and fulfilling the purpose for which God created it in the first place.

Please let me know if this was clear, and if there is anything else I can help you with.

All the best,

Shaul Wolf

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.