Republican Race Puts Donald Trump and Paul Ryan on Collision Course

NY Times:

Republican Race Puts Donald Trump and Paul Ryan on Collision Course

WASHINGTON — Speaker Paul D. Ryan, chairman of the Republican National Convention, recent vice-presidential candidate and the highest elected Republican in the country, has one goal for this year: to form a conservative policy agenda for the Republican presidential nominee to embrace.

If that nominee is Donald J. Trump, that may be a waste of time.
Panicked Republicans question whether Mr. Trump will be able to unite a Republican-controlled Congress that would normally be expected to promote and promulgate his agenda, an internal crisis nearly unheard-of in a generation of American politics. On nearly every significant issue, Mr. Trump stands in opposition to Republican orthodoxy and his party’s policy prescriptions — the very ideas that Mr. Ryan has done more than anyone else to form, refine or promote over the last decade.

If the billionaire New York businessman captures his party’s nomination — which seemed increasingly possible after a decisive victory in Nevada on Tuesday night — he will become the titular head of the Republican Party, and lawmakers like Mr. Ryan will be expected to fall in line for the balance of the campaign. It is something that many in the party think may be impossible.

“You’re hitting on a very big problem, which is that Trump is not a Republican,” said Senator Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina Republican who dropped out of the race for the White House in December “I have no idea how we reconcile a Donald Trump agenda with a Republican agenda. How do we write a platform?”

If trump is not a republican, and Paul Ryan is a true republican, some of us will not want to be republican.

Indeed. You have captured the heart of the matter with crystal clear simplicity. I am with Paul Ryan on this one.

Speaker Paul D. Ryan, chairman of the Republican National Convention, recent vice-presidential candidate and the highest elected Republican in the country, has one goal for this year: to form a conservative policy agenda for the Republican presidential nominee to embrace.

How 'bout a conservative policy agenda for the House of Representatives to embrace?

Prior to the 2014 elections, Republicans ran millions of dollars in ads lying to voters about how they were going to defund Obamacare, fight unconstitutional amnesty, etc. Soon after voters elected a Republican majority to the Senate and increased the Republican majority in the House, Republican leaders worked with President Obama to secure the votes to pass a $1.1 trillion budget bill to avert a government shutdown; they handed the President the trade deal he wanted; they have kept up a steady stream of efforts to try to limit Obamacare’s reach and delay its implementation knowing they did not have the votes to override the President’s expected veto; they have done nothing to fight President Obama’s executive actions to grant legal status to millions of illegal aliens; and they passed yet another $1.1 trillion budget bill that gave the President almost everything he wanted while disenfranchising the very voters who delivered the GOP victory.

Offhand I can’t think of any votes on any major legislation that would have turned out differently had Democrats been in the majority!

I have no faith that Paul Ryan, or any of the Republican leadership, will form a conservative policy agenda.

There is no mandate for a Republican congressman to support a Republican president if his constituents do not want him to. If we have a president elected with a minority of the vote, which is very likely this year. He will have no mandate from the people (and thus Congress) and he will have less say. Perhaps this election year may at least have the effect of reversing the trend of an ever more powerful Chief Executive, if nothing else good can come from it than another Clinton in the White house.

The Republicans do not have enough votes/seats to override Obama vetoes. They CAN’T pass legislation; it is not that they don’t want to. They are also highly vulnerable to Democratic challenges and losing their seats if they alienate the voters in their district (in most cases not solid GOP blocks). This dilemma isn’t going away anytime soon; governing by shutdown is not going to work. They didn’t have enough votes to defund Planned Parenthood (override Obama).

Besides a lot of this is moot. Trump has no more desire to shut down Planned Parenthood than the man on the moon, or more than Hillary Clinton does for that matter. Trump in the White House - Planned Parenthood is sitting pretty.

Nevertheless, I predict a Democrat will take the White House and the Senate in 2016.

Nothing to do with Paul Ryan. Trust me, he is the least of our worries at this point.

And this is why we are dealing with a very possible Trump nomination.People feel let down,duped by the very ones they voted into office to represent their needs.There is a saying that goes something like"We don’t always get the candidate we want but we usually get the one we deserve! :frowning:

Instinctively,I find this funny and concise but would like someone to explain why

Good logic. If they can’t work with Trump (a conservative), then they sure as heck can’t work with HRC;)

And this is why I am having a very hard time not wanting to campaign for Trump. The conservative pro-life pols have left me with nowhere to go. They didn’t stop PP. They funded it.

I’m stumped and may be Trumped.

They had a pulpit during budget time to press their point and they could deal. They could have shut down government. Should have shut down government until PP was defunded AT A MINIMUM.

They did nothing and got nothing.

Well, you won’t have that problem with Trump; he won’t even try to defund PP. If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em.

You don’t/can’t know this. I admit that I am absolutely voting for Trump in the general, so maybe I am a bit sensitive, but it appears that you are giving scandal. He has said that if they don’t stop doing abortions, that he would defund them. I heard him say it, myself.

But he doesn’t really mean what he says.

By that logic, you can’t trust what any candidate says, then.

Donald Trump waffles on totally defunding Planned Parenthood

Trump’s comments drew praise from Planned Parenthood, which said in a statement that the rest of the GOP field should follow his lead.

“Donald Trump seems to have realized that banning all abortions, shutting down the government, and defunding Planned Parenthood are extreme positions that are way too far outside the mainstream for even him to take,” Planned Parenthood’s vice president of communications, Eric Ferrero, said in a statement.

“We hope that the rest of the GOP field will wake up and reconsider their extreme and unpopular positions on defunding preventive care, abortion bans, and the other economic issues that women and their families care about.”

Trump drew heat from some anti-abortion leaders like Lila Rose, president of Live Action, and Brent Bozell, the president of ForAmerica, who has endorsed Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas.

cnn.com/2015/08/11/politics/donald-trump-planned-parenthood-abortion-defunding/

But is it really true that Trump and Ryan would butt heads to any serious degree?

Trump reminds me of a local millionaire, the only millionaire I knew when I was a kid. He was pushy and aggressive as a construction contractor, and he knew how to deal with politicians. But when it came to actually performing, he had the talent of recognizing talent when he saw it. That was just about his only talent. He, himself, didn’t do the planning, engineering, cost accounting, and so on. He hired really good people who did know how to do those things.

I doubt Trump would, as president, ever master the intricacies of designing and pushing legislation. He would rely on others for that, and Ryan is the perfect guy to rely on. “Hey Paul, I want to reduce the deficit by $X. Get me a plan for that and go over it with my PR people to see if and how we can sell it.”

I can just hear it now.

I think Paul Ryan may still want to defund Planned Parenthood…;):smiley:

He was asked Tuesday. The question was (paraphrase): Some are unclear as to your position on PP. What is it?

He said that unless they get out of the business of abortion, he would absolutely defund them.

There is absolutely no wiggle room there.

Oh, that was last Tuesday! My bad. No worries. It’s all good.
:smiley:

They don’t seem able to work with anyone. That’s the problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.