Republican

Someone told me that 73% of Republicans are murders? don’t know if this is true. But, i told her that i was a Republican, and she responded with “eww”. She is a Catholic, and when i stated that liberals support gays and abortion, she said “you act like that’s so bad, what about the other things”? It’s amazing to me how people think abortion is not a big deal.

So very sad:(

What is this I don’t even.

Abortion is a big deal, but what about Republicans supporting capital punishment? You chose a lesser of two evils, but it is still that, evil. Please don’t make the Republican party the “Catholic party”.

Really? You can’t identify that statement as absolutely false?

Pax,
OA

Please catechize yourself. Abortion is an intrinsic evil, capital punishment is not. In the eyes of the Church, there is a difference. As far as “Catholic parties” go, they are both sorely lacking. Don’t think I saw anyone say that the GOP is a “Catholic party”. Let’s not put words in people’s mouths.

Ummm… if 73% of Republicans are murderers, I think the U.S. would be out of prison space…

I’mma Republican that doesn’t own guns…Can you believe that?:smiley:

That info is false:thumbsup:

I do have a couple liberal opinions on some things though;)

It sounds like she has put her political views before her religion. I will pray for her on this Good Friday.

Could she elaborate on that? I mean that just seems a ridiculous claim.

somebody told me
is not a reliable source for a statistic
tell her to prove it
what about the liberals who have aided, abetted, funded, and supported the deliberate murder of millions of helpless babies through abortion?

capital punishment has killed 12K to 15K at broadest estimates, and all of them had the benefit of due process of law and were judged by their peers guilty of capital crimes. the babies killed by abortion had no protection under the law and are the most innocent persons imaginable, and the most conservative estimate is 4 million killed since it became legal in this country. perspective indeed

any one who works to enable abortion is an accessory either before or after the fact to outright murder and will be judged on that basis when he faces his Maker.

57% of all statistics are made up :rolleyes:

Catholics support gays and all other people. We don’t support sinful acts including homosexual acts or abortion.

Hopefully we are Catholic first and Democrat or Republican a distant, and fully subordinated, second. That means viewing political candidates through the eyes of the faith - particularly on life issues such as abortion which is an intrinsic evil. We fail big-time as Catholics when we vote our party, justifying with Church teaching where we can and overlooking the the problems where we can’t. If one candidate is pro-abortion and the other pro-choice, only placing politics first could justify voting for the pro-abortion candidate. Similarly if both were pro-choice but one was anti-marriage / anti-family in their support of gay “marriage” and other similar homosexual “rights”, they could not be seriously considered.

What did your friend mean saying “what about the other things?”

No, not true. There could be other “proportionate reasons”. This is perhaps the 60th time this issue has come up here. Otherwise, merely uttering the “magic words” would be enough to secure the entire Catholic vote. Not a world we want to live in, folks. I’m sorry, but I’m not voting for an anti-environment, pro-corporate capitalist domination, anti-labor, anti-poor every-man-for-himself war-mongering death-penalty sweatshop-subsidizing libertarian just because he smiles at me and says “I’m pro life.”

And that ain’t politics talking, that’s faith.

God gave us brains so that we could use them.

Is the list of bogeymen supposed to comprise the “proportionate reasons” you refer to earlier? Right, it doesn’t sound at all political but faith in what?

While I disagree with your characterizations, I understand your point. The teachings of the Church still give highest priority to life issues and abortion is an intrinsic evil. It can’t be said stronger than that.

If one politician has a stated position - and is backed up by their voting history if they have one - that opposes all legislation that supports, funds, or promotes abortion and another has lesser opposition (or worse), then only the first is acceptable. This is true even if they are in a political party you detest.

We hold that a fetus is not just a collection of cells dividing, somehow different than we are. It is a life, a baby - created by a man, a woman, and God. A politician who accepts its termination (killing it) BUT is ideal to you in his/her positions on everything else is still unacceptable to a well formed Catholic conscience. If this was unclear before, it should be especially clear now after the numerous statements from our bishops during and following the healthcare debate. Life is paramount.

God did not give us brains to rationalize against the truth of his law.

thank you! I was not saying that at all.

Capitol punishment is not a good, and no matter what you try to say about it it is not, and never will be. This is why the Church generally opposes it, out side of certain special cases where it is completely unavoidable (i.e. in nations which lack the resources to permenantly incarserate an individaul).

Capital punishment, particuarly in the context of American politics should always be opposed. The OP has a good point, the republican party isn’t the Catholic party. We should be wise enough to evaluate all the options, and choose the option which will best match Catholic moral teaching. First and formost, is that the candidate be genuinly pro-life.

I think she probably meant the economy. I know it was nothing to do with religion, because if it were, she would think that abortion was a big deal.

The question that is more pertinent is:

i43.tinypic.com/157ceo7.jpg

Now, as to whether a Catholic can be a good Republican is a fair question…but I, for the life of me, absolutely do not comprehend how Catholics can be registered Democrats…particularly considering the pro-abortion plank that has been in the Democratic Party’s platform for decades. The current position:
[INDENT][INDENT]The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to choose a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay, and we oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right.

[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][RIGHT]Democratic Party Platform, 2008, p 50.
[/RIGHT]
[/INDENT][/INDENT]It just doesn’t make sense to me how a Catholic could support that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.