Republicans call for removal of Obama supporter leading IRS targeting probe

Republicans claim the Justice Department's investigation of the IRS targeting scandal is "compromised," after revealing that it's being led by one of President Obama's political supporters.

In a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, the lawmakers said they've learned trial attorney Barbara Kay Bosserman is leading the probe. They detailed federal campaign finance records showing she's given more than $6,000 to Obama's two presidential campaigns -- and urged Holder to remove her from the case.

"By selecting a significant donor to President Obama to lead an investigation into inappropriate targeting of conservative groups, the Department has created a startling conflict of interest," Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, wrote in the letter. "It is unbelievable that the Department would choose such an individual to examine the federal government's systematic targeting and harassment of organizations opposed to the President's policies.

foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/09/obama-supporter-reportedly-leading-probe-irs-targeting

Talk about the fox guarding the hen house!

Again with the absolute lack of integrity. Someone please try and defend this...

I can only imagine in one of the Koch brothers had been chosen to investigate the firing of the federal attorneys under Bush.

[quote="pnewton, post:2, topic:350881"]
Talk about the fox guarding the hen house!

[/quote]

:thumbsup: nothing surprises me anymore with this administration and what they are able to get away with! :( :mad:

Again with the silence from the people who spent months defending this failure of a President.

Where are the Catholic Answers supporters of this guy, now? I figured there would be a few posters with integrity who would admit this is seriously wrong. We'll get pages and pages on Chris Christie, but pick and Obama scandal, and they run like scared rabbits. Why is that?

The topics with Obama doing something egregious or stupid are numerous and tend to clutter the board, so I realize it can be hard to keep up.

That's the problem with the internet. In real life, I simply print off the latest screw-up by the admin and hand it to my more liberal friends and ask them to explain it. At least then, they are forced to either admit the truth, or admit they don't care about the truth, and would prefer to live in their made up world of Fantasia. It is too easy to hide on the internet.

[quote="HappyCatholic01, post:5, topic:350881"]
Again with the silence from the people who spent months defending this failure of a President.

Where are the Catholic Answers supporters of this guy, now? I figured there would be a few posters with integrity who would admit this is seriously wrong. We'll get pages and pages on Chris Christie, but pick and Obama scandal, and they run like scared rabbits. Why is that?

The topics with Obama doing something egregious or stupid are numerous and tend to clutter the board, so I realize it can be hard to keep up.

That's the problem with the internet. In real life, I simply print off the latest screw-up by the admin and hand it to my more liberal friends and ask them to explain it. At least then, they are forced to either admit the truth, or admit they don't care about the truth, and would prefer to live in their made up world of Fantasia. It is too easy to hide on the internet.

[/quote]

Well I'm not an Obama supporter. But let's remember that this came from Fox news. So, it's nothing to get excited about. :) But I do wonder how you are so sure this person will not do right by their job. Simply because a bunch of political enemies say so. :shrug:

This would be hard to defend. Why don't you give it a try?

ATB

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal_government/obama-donor-leading-justice-departments-irs-investigation/2014/01/09/980c010a-796a-11e3-8963-b4b654bcc9b2_story.html

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbbkNSp1NXfZkk2mmpNc3pMeGngmAsHEXDTAfTQaqgHBteNAsoVA

[quote="estesbob, post:10, topic:350881"]
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbbkNSp1NXfZkk2mmpNc3pMeGngmAsHEXDTAfTQaqgHBteNAsoVA

[/quote]

:thumbsup: that cartoon says it all!

(I couldn't get the link to work in the earlier post)

[quote="HappyCatholic01, post:5, topic:350881"]
We'll get pages and pages on Chris Christie, but pick and Obama scandal, and they run like scared rabbits. Why is that?

[/quote]

Because this is not a scandal. If Obama's deputy chief of staff had sent an e-mail to Lois Lerner saying "Time for some audits of tea party groups" then the Republican's would be calling for Obama's head on a pike from now until the end of the time. Not that they aren't doing already over a policy which also involved progressive groups and a practice which has been in place for many many years.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:12, topic:350881"]
Because this is not a scandal. If Obama's deputy chief of staff had sent an e-mail to Lois Lerner saying "Time for some audits of tea party groups" then the Republican's would be calling for Obama's head on a pike from now until the end of the time. Not that they aren't doing already over a policy which also involved progressive groups and a practice which has been in place for many many years.

[/quote]

Something like 98% of the organization targeted were conservative. What you are claiming is like saying there is no scandal with the bridge closing because some conservatives got stuck in traffic also.

[quote="estesbob, post:13, topic:350881"]
Something like 98% of the organization targeted were conservative. What you are claiming is like saying there is no scandal with the bridge closing because some conservatives got stuck in traffic also.

[/quote]

That is not an accurate statement or comparison. Both progressive and tea party groups were "targeted" in the same way that other Administrations before them "targeted" progressive and conservative groups. The Obama Administration had no way of knowing how many in each category would apply for tax-exemption and therefore be subject to scrutiny based on the criteria outlined. Its just a fallacy of wishful thinking on the part of conservatives. Tea Party groups applying for tax exemption were not treated differently than progressive groups applying for exemption.

:eek: you really believe that??!!!

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:15, topic:350881"]
:eek: you really believe that??!!!

[/quote]

Yes, because its the truth.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:14, topic:350881"]
That is not an accurate statement or comparison. Both progressive and tea party groups were "targeted" in the same way that other Administrations before them "targeted" progressive and conservative groups. The Obama Administration had no way of knowing how many in each category would apply for tax-exemption and therefore be subject to scrutiny based on the criteria outlined. Its just a fallacy of wishful thinking on the part of conservatives.

[/quote]

“Tea Party Matter very dangerous,” Ms. Lerner wrote in the 2011 email, saying that those applications could end up being the “vehicle to go to court” to get more clarity on a 2010 Supreme Court ruling on campaign finance rules.

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/12/emails-ois-lerner-specifically-targeted-tea-party/#ixzz2q7Pd3wrI

IRS agents singled out dozens of organizations for additional reviews because they i*ncluded the words "tea party" or "patriot" in their exemption applications, said Lois Lerner*, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups. In some cases, groups were asked for lists of donors, which violates IRS policy in most cases, she said.

The IRS targeting of conservative groups is far broader than first reported, with nearly 500 organizations singled out for additional scrutiny, according to two lawmakers briefed by the agency. IRS officials claimed on Friday that roughly 300 groups received additional scrutiny. Reps. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, said Tuesday that the number has actually risen to 471. Further, they said it is "unclear" whether Tea Party and other conservative groups are being targeted to this day.

IRS agents also singled out organizations for additional reviews because they included the words “progressive” or “blue” or “occupied territory advocacy” in their exemption application.

All that means is that more conservative groups applied for tax exemption than progressive groups.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:18, topic:350881"]
IRS agents also singled out organizations for additional reviews because they included the words "progressive" or "blue" or "occupied territory advocacy" in their exemption application.

All that means is that more conservative groups applied for tax exemption than progressive groups.

[/quote]

Could you provide some evidence to back up your assertions? I have show that 500 conservative groups were targeted. i believe then number of liberal groups targeted was under 10.

[quote="estesbob, post:19, topic:350881"]
Could you provide some evidence to back up your assertions? I have show that 500 conservative groups were targeted. i believe then number of liberal groups targeted was under 10.

[/quote]

The BOLO list which includes "progressive," "blue," and "occupied territory advocacy." I'm not the one alleging a vast conspiracy here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.