Republicans hit all-time low in Gallup poll. Is shutdown to blame?

csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2013/1009/Republicans-hit-all-time-low-in-Gallup-poll.-Is-shutdown-to-blame-video

Anyone still think blame is being spread equally? Democrats drop 4% to 43%, but Republicans drop 10% (!!!) to 28%, a 15% differential. The good news is that Republicans are expected to cave and pass a short-term CR; I hope it’s at least 3 months.

I thought it came out that certain republicans had the shutdown planned since Obama got elected the 2nd time? I don’t see how you could honestly spread the blame equally.

Most Americans disapprove of the way Obama is handling his job, the poll suggests, with 53 percent unhappy with his performance and 37 percent approving of it. Congress is scraping rock bottom, with a ghastly approval rating of 5 percent.

bigstory.ap.org/article/poll-gop-gets-blame-shutdown

We need Nate Silver back to help us make sense of all these poll numbers. After what happened in the 2012 election I do not trust the GOP or the media to either crunch the numbers or report on them accurately. The Karl Rove meltdown on election night 2012 says so much about the delusional capacity of both.

For instance, I can’t find any recent polling that considers how Republican men vs Republican women feel about the shutdown or the idea of defaulting on the national debt. The best I could find was from this from the DailyBeast:

"In an early August survey conducted for GOP members of Congress, Winston found that Republicans nationwide opposed the shutdown, 53 percent to 37 percent. When he sliced the responses by gender, however, he found a whopping disparity: Republican men favored the shutdown 48 to 44 percent; Republican women overwhelmingly opposed it, 61 to 29 percent. " thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/10/03/america-s-women-hate-the-government-shutdown-blame-republicans.html

Those numbers are from August. Has there been any polling that considers the gender gap within the Republican party since?

The implications of ignoring what appears to be the opinion of Republican women are spelled out nicely in this commentary:

"The Mike Lees and Ted Cruzs of the Republican world are not speaking for all Republicans. They are Republican men speaking to other Republican men and ignoring the views of, what this survey suggests, is the view of the vast majority of Republican women…

As Congress reconvenes after the summer recess, elected Republican men, you have been warned. Defy the silent majority of women in your party at your own peril (and voter base)." secularwoman.org/gop_should_worry

I read somewhere that the Republican base is only 49% women - whereas the national electorate is 53% women. If I were a conservative, I would be very worried about this.

If I handled my household finances like America allows the government to handle theirs - I would be without a home a car all credit cards and maybe even worse.

Bi-partisan? Not!

If I were a democrat I’d be very worried the media might begin reporting facts like these:

In an effort to fight back against Democratic claims of a Republican “war on women,” the Republican National Committee has rolled out a new and startling fact—that under Obama, women have lost seven times as many jobs as men.

washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/are-obamas-job-policies-hurting-women/2012/04/09/gIQAGz3q6S_blog.html

I agree. This is no way to run a whelk stall!

Not so much - these are numbers for Obama’s entire term in office, meaning they really reflect the depression brought on by the Republicans under GWB. “Facts” like these simply remind me of Baghdad Bob saying all was OK during the First Iraq war and R Scrushy belittling those who took over Healthsouth after him saying he had done so much better though all the numbers under Scrushy were made up and fraudulent.

If this is all the GOP can do, they are in big trouble. Not only have they proven they are willing to play brinksmanship with the entire economy, they are delusional as well.

Funny how you do not mention the polls that show President Obama’s approvals at the lowest in his tenure as president as well…:cool:

All three should be at the lowest ever, House members, Senate members, and the President. None are doing their jobs.

Back when the number was 7%, Rush Limbaugh remarked: “You can get 7% of the people to say that Metamucil is yummy.”

:):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

You know who did they poll and where? I think you have an agenda to push because you are not mentioning the approval rating of Obama.

Hmmm, when you get the insurrection of a few bad apples, what happens ???

It says that the poll was performed by Gallup. I have no agenda; I just don’t see how Obama’s approval rating is relevant to this thread. Should I have to post a poll of Obama’s approval rating whenever I discuss any national political issue?

For the record, if you want crosstabs, here is the original poll:

gallup.com/poll/165317/republican-party-favorability-sinks-record-low.aspx

and Obama’s approval rating is…not even polled in this poll, so it actually isn’t relevant to the thread at all.

As for where:

Results for this Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted Oct. 3-6, 2013, on the Gallup Daily tracking survey, with a random sample of 1,028 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on landline telephones and cellular phones, with interviews conducted in Spanish for respondents who are primarily Spanish-speaking. Each sample of national adults includes a minimum quota of 50% cellphone respondents and 50% landline respondents, with additional minimum quotas by region. Landline and cell telephone numbers are selected using random-digit-dial methods. Landline respondents are chosen at random within each household on the basis of which member had the most recent birthday.

Samples are weighted to correct for unequal selection probability, nonresponse, and double coverage of landline and cell users in the two sampling frames. They are also weighted to match the national demographics of gender, age, race, Hispanic ethnicity, education, region, population density, and phone status (cellphone only/landline only/both, and cellphone mostly). Demographic weighting targets are based on the March 2012 Current Population Survey figures for the aged 18 and older U.S. population. Phone status targets are based on the July-December 2011 National Health Interview Survey. Population density targets are based on the 2010 census. All reported margins of sampling error include the computed design effects for weighting.

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

Methinks you meant intersection, not insurrection??

ICXC NIKA

No Geddie, I meant what I posted, and the gutless fence sitters are letting them have their way!

They were getting their way. The Tea Party pulled the gutless fence sitters down and slapped them around a bit and made them do the job they were elected to do.

This^^^ Either lead or get out of the way!

this is a thread about an opinion poll and should be shut down by the moderators. it has been reported.

Your opinion, thank goodness you are in the minority, if you were to open up and take a look see you woulld know where insurrectionists stand with the common sense out look of the majority.

I just (re-)read through the entire World News policy, and I see nothing about reporting articles that discuss polls of any kind. If it is your argument that this is a “push” poll, I would like to see evidence of that. Otherwise, I don’t really understand why this thread would be shut down. Could you please reference me the specific line in the Rules of this forum where I’m not allowed to post a legitimate news article referencing a non-push poll? I did read the entire Rules thread before posting a thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.