Republicans to Unveil Bill to Force Major Changes at the UN

House Republicans are planning to introduce today legislation that seeks to force major changes at the United Nations, using as leverage the U.S.’s 22 percent contribution to the world body’s operating budget.

The bill by Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the Republican chairwoman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, would require the UN to adopt a voluntary budget model in which countries selectively fund UN agencies rather than according to a set formula. It would end funding for Palestinian refugees, limit use of U.S. funds to only purposes outlined by Congress and stop contributions to peacekeeping operations until management changes are made.

The legislation represents the leading edge of Republican moves against the world body at a time when the Obama administration is increasingly building its foreign policy around multilateral institutions, making the alliance-based approach central to its stance on Libya. The bill may advance in the Republican-controlled House but is likely to hit opposition in the Senate and from President Barack Obama.

bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-30/republicans-to-unveil-bill-to-force-major-changes-at-the-un.html

Wow! The Republicans are starting to do the right things. This is a good start.

Don’t hold your breath. The Republicans had plenty of chances since 1945 to do something. This is somehow different? Just grandstanding as I see it.

Pretty anti-choice aren’t we Rich?

Peace, Graubo

Republicans, you’re not that powerful

It will be same-old, same-old after the blustery speechifying.:shrug:

I guess you haven’t heard about the Tea Party.

Is this a major Tea Party platform plank?

If it has to do with the appropriate, Constitutional purpose of government and use of taxpayer resources, yes.

If yes, I’ll keep alert for a major Tea Party drive against the UN.

Excellent news. Gives us control over “population control” programs:)

You think it’s going to get by the President and the Senate? Really?

The UN is a deeply flawed institution. It was ostensibly founded to keep the peace after WWII but was much perverted from the beginning by the Soviets to advance communism. It is still perverted by secular humanists to advance an agenda inimical to the mission of the Church, contrary to interests of the United States, and contrary to the security of Israel. Anything the Republicans can do to ameliorate this deplorable situation is to be sincerely hoped for and applauded. Oremus.

In a year or two.

The UN hasn’t anything to do with the mission of the Catholic Church, and as for the security of Israel - that’s the job of the Israeli government and theirs alone.

How has the United States had its interests damaged by membership in the United Nations?

I’d rather see the monies that are being used to fund the UN diverted to help our people here at home, especially with all the natural disasters we’ve been having. Better that the storm-stricken residents of the South and the Northeast get help in their need instead of the UN. Or, as I like to call it, ‘UN, schmum’.

It would be better if the UN moved to some desert island where the delegates can talk and pass all the resolutions they want. It’s a waste of taxpayers’ money and good real estate in NYC!

IMHO, it consists of mostly two-bit Third World nations that hate America and only want to thumb their noses at us.

Charity begins at home! US get out of the UN!

QUOTE=Rich Olszewski

Of course not. Their whole platform is to spend money however they please and to heck whether we have the money or not. With all due respect, get real. We cannot continue to prop up countries and organizations that do not like us and only want our money. The money tree is barren.

There’s always someone itching to have us get out of the United Nations. Fine. How far along have their efforts come? To me, it’s going to be the usual noise, then business as usual.

Lets see, who blocks our divestment from the UN, Democrats or Republicans?

Who blocks efforts to limit or eliminate abortion on demand, Democrats or Republicans?

Who blocks efforts at meaningful entitlement reform, Democrats or Republicans?

Who blocks efforts at meaningful tax reform, Democrats or Republicans?

All of which have what to do with “getting out of the U.N.”? I’ve heard the same stuff from right-wingers since I was a kid in the 50s. It isn’t going to happen now IMO.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.