Request for advice on what to do with stolen pendant of Blessed Mother

A few years ago we became close to a young woman who seemed very lovely and charming initially. One day while visiting our home, she was looking through an envelope of old photos my Mom had recently given me, and the girl said she found a pewter pendant of the Blessed Mother in the envelope. I took it from her, assuming it belonged to my Mom and put it aside, and forgot all about it. We later discovered the girl was very troubled and struggled with many issues including promiscuity, gambling addiciton, stealing and lying. Eventually she moved on and we never saw her again. Sadly, last year she suicided. I happened across the pendant today and showed it to my Mom, who said it wasn't hers. My dilemma is this- I suspect the pendant was something she had stolen from someone, on close exam, it appears very well worn and thin in spots, like something that had been worn daily. I am unsure what to do with the pendant- I considered returning it to her family (they do not live near by and I only met them once) but I am concerned it would be confusing for them and only add to their grief. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Praying that you will be enlightened with the right choice. One suggestion would be to ask the family if they recognize it, telling them that you aren't sure but that it may have been left at your house by her.

[quote="18trouble, post:2, topic:319508"]
Praying that you will be enlightened with the right choice. One suggestion would be to ask the family if they recognize it, telling them that you aren't sure but that it may have been left at your house by her.

[/quote]

Very good idea.... especially if you don't really know if it may have actually been in the envelope as she mentioned... maybe it never was this poor troubled girl's.

If the family does not recognize the pendant, just keep it in the envelope. Then if your realize it was from your family, you will know where it is.

I will pray for the repose of her soul.

I suspect heavily God had a reason for it ending up with you.
I liked the prior suggestion of prayer. He will reveal it to you. And… Of course, WE will be praying for YOU:)

Thanks for the suggestions-I don't really know her family, only met her mother once, and I don't know exactly where they live, so that might not be something I would be able to accomplish, plus I am concerned that it would be terribly upsetting to her family . It is not my intention to speak ill of the dead or assassinate her character, but it was not the 1st item of jewelry she mysteriously 'found' in my home, but the pendant was the only religious item so I found it worrisome.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.