Request for book suggestion

I have difficulty getting past the intellectual hurdles and roadblocks associated with our faith. These issues (Luther, comparative religions, atheism, Islam, miracles, Marian apparitions…on and on), seem to take up all of the time I dedicate to my faith. I spend all my time proving to myself, Gods existence and the truth of Catholicism. Very little if any of my time seems to be directed toward prayer and simply praising and loving God.

It was suggested to me that to help enhance my faith I could read a few pages every day about, or by, a Saint.

Sounds like a good suggestion.
Some time ago I have read Story of a Soul, Confessions, Imitiation of Christ.

Can anyone suggest, from thier past experience, a book written by a Saint that may help me grow closer to the God I spend all my time trying to justify to myself?

Much appreciation.

[quote=Mijoy2]I have difficulty getting past the intellectual hurdles and roadblocks associated with our faith. These issues (Luther, comparative religions, atheism, Islam, miracles, Marian apparitions…on and on), seem to take up all of the time I dedicate to my faith. I spend all my time proving to myself, Gods existence and the truth of Catholicism. Very little if any of my time seems to be directed toward prayer and simply praising and loving God.

It was suggested to me that to help enhance my faith I could read a few pages every day about, or by, a Saint.

Can anyone suggest, from thier past experience, a book written by a Saint that may help me grow closer to the God I spend all my time trying to justify to myself?

Much appreciation.
[/quote]

To get past the Luther and the protestant road block, I suggest reading The Catholic Controvercy by St. Francis de Sales. I started this book last night and his defense of the Church authority is great. His explaination of Mission is great.

[quote=jimmy]To get past the Luther and the protestant road block, I suggest reading The Catholic Controvercy by St. Francis de Sales. I started this book last night and his defense of the Church authority is great. His explaination of Mission is great.
[/quote]

In addition to being a great apologist, St. Francis de Sales was also a famous spiritual director. His classic book,* Introduction to The Devout Life*, should be near the top of any person’s list who is trying to grow closer to our Lord.

My suggestion is to cut back on the analyzing and increase the utilizing. Do some charity work. It does wonders for your spirit and your faith.

[quote=Fidelis]In addition to being a great apologist, St. Francis de Sales was also a famous spiritual director. His classic book,* Introduction to The Devout Life*, should be near the top of any person’s list who is trying to grow closer to our Lord.
[/quote]

That is one of the reasons(the main one) why he is so great, he can be trusted to guide you to truth in Christ.

[quote=geezerbob]My suggestion is to cut back on the analyzing and increase the utilizing. Do some charity work. It does wonders for your spirit and your faith.
[/quote]

I know this may sound like a cop-out to some but time is at issue. With two children in college quitting my job or taking one with less hours is not an issue for the next 4 years. I am up at 5:30 and do not get back home in th evening until 6:30 or 7:30 every evening. With a schedule such as this the house, cars and time with family needs attention on weekends.

I’d love to be able to make time to do charity work. For now all I can offer is dollars.

[quote=Mijoy2]I know this may sound like a cop-out to some but time is at issue. With two children in college quitting my job or taking one with less hours is not an issue for the next 4 years. I am up at 5:30 and do not get back home in th evening until 6:30 or 7:30 every evening. With a schedule such as this the house, cars and time with family needs attention on weekends.
I’d love to be able to make time to do charity work. For now all I can offer is dollars.
[/quote]

:wave: It’s no cop-out. You have your hands full. What you could do is to study the lives of the saints, pray diligently, stay close to the sacraments and then “show your light” to everyone that you come in contact with i.e., your co-workers. That can be your mission at this time in your life.

Forget the volunteer work for now.

Bless you,
Shannin

[quote=Mijoy2]I have difficulty getting past the intellectual hurdles and roadblocks associated with our faith. These issues (Luther, comparative religions, atheism, Islam, miracles, Marian apparitions…on and on), seem to take up all of the time I dedicate to my faith. I spend all my time proving to myself, Gods existence and the truth of Catholicism. Very little if any of my time seems to be directed toward prayer and simply praising and loving God.

Much appreciation.
[/quote]

Yes, St. Alphonsus Liguori

Start with The Great Means of Salvation and Perfection

then The Holy Eucharist

then The Incarnation Birth and Infancy of Jesus Christ

then The Passion and Death of Jesus Christ

then Victories of the Martyrs

then* The Glories of Mary*

then* The True Spouse of Jesus Christ*

then* Preparation for Death*

You could start with Victories of the Martyrs I suppose.

I can suggest a biography about St. Josemaria Escriva, “At God’s Pace” by Francois Gondrand …it started me on a fantastic journey …:yup: (you can get it at Scepter Press).

If it’s prayer you need, you can go to the masters: St. John of the Cross, or St. Teresa of Avila. All of their works are fantastic.

However, if it’s simplicity you’re after, you can’t go wrong by reading a little book titled “Sacrament of the Present Moment”, by Jean-Pierre de Caussade, SJ. It’s really a fantastic little book that takes all of the “theology” out of Catholicism, and teaches you how to simply live in the presence of God, moment to moment.

You can find this book online, for free, at www.ccel.org There it will be found under the title "Abandonment to Divine Providence.

Read a Psalm ever night. If you have kids, make it the core part of your evening prayers with them.

Prayer is great charity work, hence those dedicated (nuns) to prayer. Charity needn’t always be works such as volunteering at a hospital, but something that is also in accordance with one’s gifts and personality type. Not to say one should cling to neuroses.

Try St. Louis de Monfort’s True Devotion to Mary.

It’s a simple procedure that is both spiritual, intellectual, and charitable.

God bless,
Aaron Magnan

You could try St. Augustine’s Confessions. This is a powerful work and… what’s more, if you find this inspiring and helpful, I’m sure you would find the rest of his writings even more so.

[quote=Mijoy2]Can anyone suggest, from thier past experience, a book written by a Saint that may help me grow closer to the God I spend all my time trying to justify to myself?

Much appreciation.
[/quote]

Most important of all, I would also like to suggest the famous works of St. Paul, St. Peter, St. James, St. Luke, St. Matthew, St. John…

I’m not trying to suggest that you haven’t read your Bible but, as it is the Word of GOD, it cannot be exhausted and will enlighten you and the Spirit will reveal to you such as cannot be had from the works of uninspired men, however excellent. Roman Catholics are often stereotyped as being Biblically ignorant (even by other Roman Catholics) and that’s a shame. Become the exception.

There’s nothing better than the lives of the saints as told with exceptional power in the Scriptures.

Mijoy2:

I think anyone would really benefit from St. Julian Eymard’s books…Eucharistic Retreats is really good, especially while in Eucharistic Adoration.

God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.