Requiem mass for person who committed suicide

Even worse! The priest actually published the case in the Church weekly bulletin.

He compare my friend’s father to Judas Iscariot. Both committed suicide.

First he quoted CCC 2261,
"Scripture specifies the prohibition contained in the fifth commandment: “Do not slay the innocent and the righteous (Exodus 23:7)”

He also quoted CCC 2281 (without mentioning 2283)
Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is** gravely contrary** to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God."

and then he quoted 2325 “Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.”

His final said that “our diocese forbid mass for people who committed suicide.”

I’m still amazed how a priest could quote CCC out of context.

If true, then that is a disgraceful thing to say. Is this priest putting himself in the position of God in declaring who will and will not go to Hell?

For any sin to be mortal (including suicide) the three conditions of grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent must be met. Mental anguish can diminish this responsibility.

CCC 2282 - Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

I think it would be reasonable to assume that a great many (if not most) people who commit suicide do so as a result of anguish, grave fear of hardship, of grave psychological disturbances (this does not exclude temporary psychological disturbances).

CCC 2283 - We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

I would suggest that this priest reads his catechism fully rather than selectively pick bits from it. He should also refrain from saying things that imply he know’s the mind of God, or the state of mind of a person who commits suicide.

My prayers are with your father’s friend. May he rest in peace.

Write a letter of serious complaint to his bishop, including the weekly bulletin and listing all the things he has said. You need a suitable reply and explanation from the bishop.

Is this something that could be taken to a tribunal if a suitable response, including action, was not taken by the bishop?

Actually, it’s my friend’s father :smiley:

By the way, is it possible for a bishop to state that his diocese won’t offer funeral mass for those who committed suicide?

I’ve searched everywhere, but so far I can’t find anything strong enough to support my argument.

There’s nothing that say, “YES, you can have funeral mass for people who committed suicide”

My prayers are with your friend’s father then.

You don’t need anything that says definitively that a person who commits suicide can have a funeral Mass, the onus is on the priest to show that it is forbidden by Canon Law (which it is not).

Write to the bishop expressing your concerns. For the priest to write about it in the weekly bulletin is quite shocking. You might find the bishop to be very supportive. Don’t assume that the bishop will take the same position as his priest.

Honestly, from past experience, writing to bishop will be my last option or maybe it’s not an option. My bishop has been bishop for 25 years and the past 10 years, he made some questionable decisions and he is very supportive of his priests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.