Requirement to Marry?

Many claim that because God gave the command to multiply and replenish the Earth, it is a requirement from the beginning and so therefor, it’s logical that Christ would have married since God made it a commandment to do so.

How do you respond?

The command to marriage was given to the race generally, not to individuals.

Scripture never promises everybody a spouse.

ICXC NIKA

Jesus married the Church… He’s the bridegroom and the Church is the bride…

besides that what the other poster said… :slight_smile:

Sometimes people just pick and choose Bible verses too foster their agenda, or do not read the Bible in the context in which it is written. Read further on in the New Testament and you will see St. Paul in 1 Corinthians talking about remaining single to better serve the Lord. Paul himself was not married. Why would he remain single and write about this if it were breaking a Commandment?

No such requirement exists. In fact, the following passages show that this argument is dead wrong.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Matthew 19:10-12
"10 His disciples say unto him: If the case of a man with his wife be so, it is not expedient to marry.11 Who said to them: All men take not this word, but they to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mother’s womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He that can take, let him take it. "

Ist Corinthians 7:6-9
“6 But I speak this by indulgence, not by commandment. 7 For I would that all men were even as myself: but every one hath his proper gift from God; one after this manner, and another after that. 8 But I say to the unmarried, and to the widows: It is good for them if they so continue, even as I. 9 But if they do not contain themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to be burnt.”***

***Revelation 14:1-5

***[/FONT]***1: Then I looked, and lo, on Mount Zion stood the Lamb, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.
2: And I heard a voice from heaven like the sound of many waters and like the sound of loud thunder; the voice I heard was like the sound of harpers playing on their harps,
3: and they sing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who had been redeemed from the earth.
4: It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are chaste; it is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes; these have been redeemed from mankind as first fruits for God and the Lamb,
5: and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are spotless. ***

You do know that Jesus Christ is GOD the Son, and therefore the rules don’t apply to him in the same way.

Really, how many? I have to question the statement that many make that claim. This post is the only instance I know of making this claim. I’d like to see some evidence from primary sources for the claim that many make this claim?

If it was an imperative then Jesus would have done so; but since he was not married, it was not a requirement.

ChristRocket #1
it’s logical that Christ would have married since God made it a commandment to do so.

You need to focus on the Christ who is also the Son of God, the second Person of the Blessed Trinity. His Catholic Church teaches infallibly on faith and morals.

When asked, this is what Our Lord taught. St. Peter asked Our Lord, “What about us? We left all we had to follow you.” The Divine Master answered: “I tell you solemnly, there is no one who has left house, wife, brothers, parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not be given repayment many times over in this present time and, in the world to come, eternal life” (Lk 18:28-30, cf. Mt 19:27-30; Mk 10:20-21).

Among the Apostles, only Saint Peter is known to have been married because his mother-in-law is mentioned in the Gospels, but no mention is made of his wife or children. Tradition tells us that he was a widower who was caring for his wife’s aged mother. Some of the others might have been married, but there is no indication of this and it is a clear that they left everything, including their families, to follow Christ.

So, is there any evidence that Christ ever married? Of course not.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Most of these are arguments that I’ve used, but it helps reaffirm my convictions.

Ignatius - All Mormons and some JWs make this argument. So, a fair amount of people. I don’t agree with them, of course, or I wouldn’t be Catholic.

Mormons and JW are not Christian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.