Requirements for first century converts

Why did Paul think it was necessary for Timothy to be circumcised when it had been decided in Jerusalem that circumcision would not be required of gentile converts?

Good question! It could be that Paul was thinking it would be easier to evangelize the Jews where he was going if Timothy was circumcised. Remember his motto in 1 Corinthians 9, "I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some." Seems plausible that's what his intention was, since he was at the Jerusalem council, and heard the decision, and 90% of his epistles are about how the law has no power to save, only Christ does.

Of course, it could also simply be an example of Paul giving in to Judaizers pressure, like Peter did in Galatians 2. The apostles were human after all, and humans make mistakes.

[quote="Robyn_p, post:2, topic:326964"]
Good question! It could be that Paul was thinking it would be easier to evangelize the Jews where he was going if Timothy was circumcised. Remember his motto in 1 Corinthians 9, "I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some." Seems plausible that's what his intention was, since he was at the Jerusalem council, and heard the decision, and 90% of his epistles are about how the law has no power to save, only Christ does.

Of course, it could also simply be an example of Paul giving in to Judaizers pressure, like Peter did in Galatians 2. The apostles were human after all, and humans make mistakes.

[/quote]

If I remember right, it may have some thing to do with Timothy's father was a Jew and his mother was a not-Jew. :shrug: :)

Hi Darlene,

Timothy was Jewish by his mother. But he had not been circumcised, possibly because his Greek father objected. Paul circumcised him to avoid controversy with the Jews, who would find it scandalous that a Jew was not circumcised. This is not a case of forcing a non-Jew to become a Jew; it is a case of performing a ceremony that should have taken place long before.

Verbum

[quote="Verbum, post:4, topic:326964"]
Hi Darlene,

Timothy was Jewish by his mother. But he had not been circumcised, possibly because his Greek father objected. Paul circumcised him to avoid controversy with the Jews, who would find it scandalous that a Jew was not circumcised. This is not a case of forcing a non-Jew to become a Jew; it is a case of performing a ceremony that should have taken place long before.

Verbum

[/quote]

This!

Good answer :thumbsup: I second this

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.