Research help

Hi everyone,
I'm writing a big research paper for my Master's degree on "Finding Common Ground inside the Catholic and Protestant churches, in particular the Evangelical churches." Can you suggest any good books, articles, websites (only if they are monitored and written by academics and people who know their material. In other words, no blogs) and more? Or if you knew people who were very knowledgeable and could help me that would also be wonderful. I have compiled a long list on my own, but I figured since this forum has a diverse group from various denominations, you could shed light on resources I never thought of.

My aim isn't to condemn others but to simply find ways in which we can come together. Christ didn't die for one denomination but for all mankind. I would really appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

SG

I sure wish I could read your paper when you have finished it. Good Luck!. Sorry I can’t think of any resources for you.

Check out the writings of Peter Kreeft, especially his book "Fundamentals of the Faith." His website may be viewed at www.peterkreeft.com. He is a convert to Catholicism from the Reformed tradition, and is currently a philosophy professor at Boston College. He is as clear and cogent a thinker as you are likely to find these days.

-ACEGC

Being the Body by Chuck Colson (RIP).

This book, written by evangelical Protestant (Baptist) Chuck Colson, is one of the reasons why I converted from evangelical Protestantism to Catholicism. The book discusss "common ground" between the various Christian groups, mainly Evangelical Protestants and Catholics. It's so good.

Colson, along with Father Neuhaus, started the organization, Evangelicals and Catholics Together. The book I listed above will give you information about this organization.

One of the accomplishments of ECT is to write a document in which the document of "justification" is discussed, and the common ground between Evangelical Protestants and Catholics is spelled out. This document has been signed by many prominent Evangelical Protestants and Catholics. It might be good if you can find a copy of this document online. (It's kind of challenging--there are so many websites by Protestants refuting the document, and sometimes you don't realize that the website is an "anti-ECT" site until you've read several pages. Sigh.)

Colson, who died a few weeks ago, is considered an "intellectual heavy" by Evangelical Protestants. I certainly consider him one of the intellectuals of the Evangelical Protestant world, and I mourn his passing because I'm not sure who will ever take his place. So many intellectuals are incapable of distilling their research and conclusions down into an article or book that is comprehensible to regular folks like me. Colson was adept at this, and his books and articles were thoughtfully written, but engaging and interesting. Again, RIP.

SecretGarden--

I'd second the recommendation of the first and subsequent Evangelicals and Catholics Together documents. There were several follow-ups, discussing different doctrines, beside the first one that's best known.

You might have already searched these, but if not any kind of ecumenical documents between the RCC and evangelical groups could be informative. I know that the RCC has been in dialogue with a representative group of classical Pentecostals for some time (I have the summary reports in my possession if you’d like them). These summary reports are reproduced in Pneuma: The Journal of the Society of Pentecostal Studies and are accompanied by responses from both Catholics and Pentecostals. I’m not sure if other evangelicals might be in dialogue with the RCC though.

Yes, a good one is the Vatican Council 11 constitutions and declarations.

It talks alot how we must learn how to stick to our faith, but yet respect and love all faiths and shows alot of what we agree and disagree,and yet how to get along.

[quote="ltwin, post:6, topic:289602"]
You might have already searched these, but if not any kind of ecumenical documents between the RCC and evangelical groups could be informative. I know that the RCC has been in dialogue with a representative group of classical Pentecostals for some time (I have the summary reports in my possession if you'd like them). These summary reports are reproduced in Pneuma: The Journal of the Society of Pentecostal Studies and are accompanied by responses from both Catholics and Pentecostals. I'm not sure if other evangelicals might be in dialogue with the RCC though.

[/quote]

This is a good lead. There are ecumencal initiatives from the Vatican on a number of fronts and documents of agreement have been produced on the Vatican website.

One that I refer to often is the joint declaration on the doctrine of justification, which clarifies many of Luther's initial complaints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.