Resolutions

it’s my understanding that resolutions are nonbinding. So, for example, saying in a prayer, “Lord, I resolve to…” is just essentially stating an intention. Its not like a vow or anything. Or am I wrong?

All things being equal, I think you’ve got a pretty good handle on it.

You are correct, but make sure to pray to God about it. Don’t be afraid to tell why you changed your mind. God already knows everything going through your mind, but he really appreciates it when his children talk to him about what they’re thinking or why they make a certain decision.

Thanks for posting this. I have been thinking about this lately too. For instance, I smoked a cigar and ended up getting a sore throat. I said to myself " I’m done smoking cigars." Now I felt God was present when I said this to myself. Is this a binding vow?

I think your right though an intention is different from a vow.

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

RESOLUTION. The firm determination to carry into effect what a person has decided should be done. It includes some decision to use the means for putting resolution into practice. In spiritual theology a resolution implies a conversion of one’s moral life, arrived at after due reflection and prayer.

thanks, but that doesn’t really help…

is my understanding correct, or? It’s really a “yes” or “no,” I think.

Not binding with regard to your question in the opening post.

thank you! I appreciate your answer. I hate to be persistent but I noticed you used some qualifying language in your response, so now I have to ask:

Is there a circumstance where a resolution would be binding?

I was under the impression they never were but your response appears to say otherwise…

thank you! I appreciate your answer. I hate to be persistent but I noticed you used some qualifying language in your response, so now I have to ask:

Is there a circumstance where a resolution would be binding?

I was under the impression they never were but your response appears to say otherwise…

Whoops, I didn’t mean to post that twice…

Apologies!

Do you mean with regard to the Church or just generally.
For example, in a company a Board Resolution passed by a majority is a legally binding decision.

I mean with regard to resolutions made during the course of a prayer. Like resolutions made to God. I was under the impression that these were nonbinding unlike a vow or promissory oath.

This is an extract from the Catholic Encyclopedia.

“A vow is defined as a promise made to God. The promise is binding, and so differs from a simple resolution which is a present purpose to do or omit certain things in the future.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.