Resource for the traditional form of baptism in Vietnamese

Could someone out there point me in the direction of where I could find literature on the the traditional form of baptism in Vietnamese.

Yikes! You might be able to get in contact with an English speaking Asian priest. He can then perhaps point you in the right direction.

Pardon? The traditional form would only be in Latin (assuming you’re talking the Roman rite).

Do you mean a side-by-side translation into Vietnamese?

God Bless

I assume the poster means a translation for the attendants’ purposes.

[quote="bilop, post:3, topic:307180"]
Pardon? The traditional form would only be in Latin (assuming you're talking the Roman rite).

Do you mean a side-by-side translation into Vietnamese?

God Bless

[/quote]

Well, I've found that it's permitted to be performed in English at least in part, so I think that it would be allowed similarly in other languages. I'd prefer it in the readily available Latin, but some priests react so negatively when anything in Latin is brought up. I'm not even sure if my pastor is willing to do the traditional form in the vernacular.

[quote="Thumblessprimat, post:5, topic:307180"]
Well, I've found that it's permitted to be performed in English at least in part, so I think that it would be allowed similarly in other languages. I'd prefer it in the readily available Latin, but some priests react so negatively when anything in Latin is brought up. I'm not even sure if my pastor is willing to do the traditional form in the vernacular.

[/quote]

I believe only the Baptismal promises may be done in the vernacular, so the godparents understand what they're promising. Much like the vows would be done in vernacular in a Traditional wedding.

I believe the rest of the rite must be done in Latin.

God Bless

This is what I found regarding vernacular use and the traditional rite of baptism. Fr. Z mentions "much of " the rite could be done in English, but doesn’t specify what exactly.

I know that at least the baptismal formula itself must be in Latin.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:8, topic:307180"]
I know that at least the baptismal formula itself must be in Latin.

[/quote]

I'm not trying to contradict you, but where may I find what you say in documents? You may be right but I haven't found evidence of this just yet. But I've only looked at Sancta Missa.

On the side while looking there I found #22 to be really odd and sort of amusing.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:2, topic:307180"]
Yikes! You might be able to get in contact with an English speaking Asian priest. He can then perhaps point you in the right direction.

[/quote]

That's no good at all. Our friend will need a Vietnamese priest, or someone from the Vietnamese Catholic Church. 'Asian' is simply too non-specific, and there is very little chance that any non-Vietnamese Asian priest will know the formula or another Vietnamese priest any more than any other non-Asian priest would.

[quote="Filii_Dei, post:10, topic:307180"]
That's no good at all. Our friend will need a Vietnamese priest, or someone from the Vietnamese Catholic Church. 'Asian' is simply too non-specific, and there is very little chance that any non-Vietnamese Asian priest will know the formula or another Vietnamese priest any more than any other non-Asian priest would.

[/quote]

That is why I say point in the right direction. I am an American, and if someone needed to contact a Mexican priest but knew none, he could contact me and I could easily find a Mexican priest. Similarly, a generically Asian Catholic might know a Vietnamese priest or resource.

That’s quite amusing.

Most of the baptismal rite was permitted to be celebrated in the vernacular in 1954 by the Holy See. The 1954 Rituale Romanum and 1961 Collectio Rituum provide that the exorcism prayers and blessings, along with the baptismal words and annoitnings, must be in Latin, but none of the other prayers.

Perhaps you can use these current forms in Vietnamese:
For children: catholic.org.tw/vntaiwan/homily/nghithuc5.htm
For adults: catholic.org.tw/vntaiwan/homily/nghithuc6.htm

Sorry. I agree with the OP that that’s stereotyping and inappropriate. There is no unified “Asian” demographic and a Philippino priest (to cite one hypothetical) would be of no more help in obtaining a Vietnamese translation than your Mexican priest would for French (that language is used on the same continent, after all).

I had the impression the OP was looking for the Extraordinary Form, but hopefully this is more helpful. Perhaps substituting the Baptismal promises from the OF would be adequate (I presume that is the only part of the EF Rite of Baptism in the vernacular).

It is not stereotyping, as that was not the intention. I never said or implied that there is a unified Asian demographic. My point was not about language groups (never said that), but about geographical closeness. So a Mexican priest would probably not be a good resource to find a French priest, but a Spanish priest would be much likelier to know of at least a resource to point in the right direction. This is not inappropriate.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:16, topic:307180"]
It is not stereotyping, as that was not the intention. I never said or implied that there is a unified Asian demographic. My point was not about language groups (never said that), but about geographical closeness. So a Mexican priest would probably not be a good resource to find a French priest, but a Spanish priest would be much likelier to know of at least a resource to point in the right direction. This is not inappropriate.

[/quote]

That's an even worse explanation. I'm better able to direct a person to a French or Spanish priest than an Indonesian or Filipino one, even though France and Spain is halfway around the world while Indonesia and the Philippines are in the same region as I am. And for that matter, I don't know any Vietnamese priests, but I can certainly direct you to a German one, if you wish.

In any case, let's drop the issue. We're labouring too much on an question that doesn't seem to help the OP. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.