Resources for anti-Catholic protestant?

Hi, not sure if this is the right thread. One of my brother-in-laws was raised some form of protestant and was raised to hate Catholics and think we're going to Hell. It doesn't help that my sister rarely goes to Mass and has gone with him to protestant church---although she will stand by the beliefs of the Church.

One problem with him is that he believes anything and everything he reads, he has short-term memory problems so even if he reads something right, he'd probably forget---unless it's bad, then he'd probably remember. He's "pyramids must have been built by aliens and the church was trying to hide something by not putting those other books in the Bible"......I'm a historian so half the time I want to smack him upside the head with a primary source while the other I just roll my eyes because he's hopeless. You cannot bring up the Catholic church with him. He believes what he sees online and on tv---I tried giving him some Orthodox written books to read, he did, but apparently forgot because he's back to aliens and evil Catholics hiding the truth, the Bible has errors....

Suggestions? Other than smacking him upside the head, of course. :rolleyes:

[quote="Elisabeth51, post:1, topic:314257"]
Hi, not sure if this is the right thread. One of my brother-in-laws was raised some form of protestant and was raised to hate Catholics and think we're going to Hell. It doesn't help that my sister rarely goes to Mass and has gone with him to protestant church---although she will stand by the beliefs of the Church.

One problem with him is that he believes anything and everything he reads, he has short-term memory problems so even if he reads something right, he'd probably forget---unless it's bad, then he'd probably remember. He's "pyramids must have been built by aliens and the church was trying to hide something by not putting those other books in the Bible"......I'm a historian so half the time I want to smack him upside the head with a primary source while the other I just roll my eyes because he's hopeless. You cannot bring up the Catholic church with him. He believes what he sees online and on tv---I tried giving him some Orthodox written books to read, he did, but apparently forgot because he's back to aliens and evil Catholics hiding the truth, the Bible has errors....

[/quote]

I'd start him out with Karl Keating's classic apologetics book, "Catholicism and Fundamentalism." It refutes a lot of the silly myths about the Church and is a real eye-opener for anti-Catholics. If he's interested after that point, I'd give him a couple of Patrick Madrid books, "Any Friend of God's Is a Friend of Mine," which talks about praying to Saints, and "Pope Fiction" which addresses the popular anti-Catholic myths about the Popes and Church history. If you get him that far, I'd follow up with "Evangelical is Not Enough", by Thomas Howard. I think at least some of these books are available through Catholic Answers.

If he likes listening to CD's, you can order or download these free talks by apologist John Martignoni:

Bible Christian Society

Good luck. :)

:nunchuk: this a bad thing ?:confused:

[quote="Fidelis, post:2, topic:314257"]
I'd start him out with Karl Keating's classic apologetics book, "Catholicism and Fundamentalism." It refutes a lot of the silly myths about the Church and is a real eye-opener for anti-Catholics. If he's interested after that point, I'd give him a couple of Patrick Madrid books, "Any Friend of God's Is a Friend of Mine," which talks about praying to Saints, and "Pope Fiction" which addresses the popular anti-Catholic myths about the Popes and Church history. If you get him that far, I'd follow up with "Evangelical is Not Enough", by Thomas Howard. I think at least some of these books are available through Catholic Answers.

If he likes listening to CD's, you can order or download these free talks by apologist John Martignoni:

Bible Christian Society

Good luck. :)

[/quote]

Thanks! I'll look for those and give it a try.

[quote="april32010, post:3, topic:314257"]

[/quote]

It might shake some sense loose...... ;)

[/quote]

None whatsoever. Smack away!

At a recent retreat, we had a Franciscan friar tell us that the most Catholic, most non-Protestant way of all to evangelize is to shut-up and live a holy life.

When I was researching the church, David B. Currie’s book Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic was very helpful. That book really started me down the path towards reconciliation to the Church.

Good luck, I’ll be praying for you and for your family!

[quote="saramichelle6, post:7, topic:314257"]
When I was researching the church, David B. Currie's book Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic was very helpful. That book really started me down the path towards reconciliation to the Church.

[/quote]

I'd second that recommendation as well. It is both a conversion story, and a refutation of many fundamentalist misconceptions about Catholicism. Maybe I'd have him read that one before my earlier recommendation, "Evangelical Is Not Enough". Along this same vein, I'd also recommend Steve Ray's "Crossing The Tiber".

[/quote]

Prayer

Another example of Catholics ham-strung by unfamiliarity with Scripture. In the Wisdom literature is an admonition to refrain from arguing with a fool.

Reb Levi

Catholocism for Dummies.
Lives of the saints?
Rome sweet home by Hahn

Also hid a green scapular under his mattress and everyday say the prayer for him:
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.
The more trust, the greater the effect.

One of Mary's promises was returning someone to the faith.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=620449
(From an atheist)
How did you come to embrace Catholicism?
Strangely enough, it was the Blessed Virgin Mary. That friend of mine had sneakily
snuck in a scapular under my mattress. I didn't know until about 1 year into my
conversion. I imagine that she had something to do with it. I think it was the
green scapular.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=544742&page=3

My father, a fallen-away Catholic, passed away several years ago. When he first became ill and was hospitalized, one of the Vincentian priest pinned a Green Scapular to his pillow. I know my mother was especially worried about his salvation, as he had not awakened following emergency surgery. He did awaken many days later, and that same Vincentian asked if he wished to receive the sacraments. He was on a ventilator, so he could not speak, but he could indicate "yes" or "no", so the priest simply asked if he was sorry for any and all sins he committed, then he was given Extreme Unction. This was 2 years to the day of my auto accident, August 3rd. He died 2 days later, on the Feast of Our Lady of the Snows on August 5th. There is a promise attached to the Green Scapular that Our Lady will obtain the conversion of those who have fallen away from the True Faith. I'm convinced she did so with my father, the day of his death was clearly Providential.

St. Francis de Sales’ “The Catholic Controversy” is the best. Every Catholic should read it, as should protestants who need to be shown that the Catholic Church is the church started by Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

He might like my videos on scripture & early church quotes. Most of them are kept simple and to the point. All the best.
youtube.com/user/understandcatholics

[quote="april32010, post:3, topic:314257"]

[/quote]

Need a 2X4.

One problem with him is that he believes anything and everything he reads,

[/quote]

Like what? Can you give an example?

I ran into a someone like this...read and posted everything anti-catholic. In one of his posts...regarding a massacre committed by the Jesuits...anyway, maybe by the prompting of the Holy Spirit, I decided to look at the date of founding of the Jesuit order.

And lo and behold, the event he posted happened 7 or so years prior to the founding of the Jesuit order. So, instead of pointing this out, I asked the poster to tell me the date of founding of the Jesuit order and who the founder was.

Once he did that, I pointed out the date of the event and the founding date and asked him to explain the discrepancy.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion to plant seeds of doubt in your friend.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a SDA friend who's beliefs don't bug me as much as his lack of historical knowledge when he starts talking :rolleyes:

calledtocommunion.com/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.