Resources for Trainee Minister of Holy Communion in England

Can anyone help please?

I will shortly begin training to become a Minister of Holy Communion. Does anyone have suggestions for resources I can utilise or any hints/tips they can pass on?

Thank you.

The Catholic Truth Society used to produce leaflets and booklets on being an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion(EMHC), they probably still do and their stuff is usually good.

I would generally avoid anything that refers to EMHC’s as ‘eucharistic ministers’ or ‘special ministers of holy communion/the eucharist’ as they often peddle a dodgy theology of ministry.

this:archdiocesesantafe.org/Offices/SacramentalPolicies/GuidelinesEMHC.pdf
is an american guideline for EMHCs but it should be useful for you as well

Chapter 7 of the document Redemptionis Sacramentum is in part of this kind of thing it may be of use to you as well
vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html#Chapter VII

God Bless

[quote="novo2kepha, post:1, topic:343644"]
Can anyone help please?

I will shortly begin training to become a Minister of Holy Communion. Does anyone have suggestions for resources I can utilise or any hints/tips they can pass on?

Thank you.

[/quote]

Try getting a copy of The Breaking of the Bread by Joseph M Champlin. £6.99p for the book or £5.30p Kindle edition from Amazon. Please bear in mind that the book is American (no disrespect to my American brothers and sisters) and we are British. It covers everything from dropping the Blood of Christ through to explanations of the Ministry, stories of fear overcome etc and the importance of the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion or EMHC (don't describe it any differently on CAF) taking the role reverently and humbly.

Oh how I wish I had that book before I was drafted (under protest and without training) to this Ministry, instead of finding it some 8 years later. I can't mention my biggest clanger as half of CAF would faint in horror and the other half would have fits. Luckily it wasn't in public but it does demonstrate the importance of training.

Handy tips:

1. Dropping or spilling will not result in ex-communication or being sent to hell.:bigyikes:

2. Jesus loves you even if you get it wrong.:hug3:

3. The Priest is on your side.

4. Never be an EMHC if you have a cough, cold, hiccups or feel unwell.:bighanky:

5. Always try to get cover if you cannot attend Mass or can attend but not be an EMHC.

6. Once trained, never attend a Mass anywhere without being prepared to undertake the role of EMHC without warning. (wish I had learned that one sooner).

7. If someone is missing, get up and move to the altar, looking out for other EMHC's doing the same. We all look at each other and the person who suddenly remembered they were supposed to cover will walk determinedly whilst the rest back off. If no one walks determinedly, first one to the front pew wins.

8. We are only EMHC when called upon by the Priest for that one specific mass. Okay there is a rota but if the church was suddenly full of Priests, EMHC's are not needed.

9. EMHC's may suffer allergic reactions to wine BUT as the Blood of Christ isn't wine, no allergic reaction will happen. (Probably will now that I mention it).

As you are blessed with training, use it as an opportunity to ask questions. There is no such thing as a daft question. You can ask what to say if someone comes with folded arms. What to do if someone says "Thank you" or something else instead of Amen. Or the good one is When you offer the chalice to someone who stands there with their hands cupped? Oh yes it happens.

God bless you and I pray that you will be spiritually enriched.

Ooops. Sorry I forgot. Biggest help is to say a short prayer for help with the Ministry before every mass (even if you are not expecting to serve as EMHC).

:blessyou:

@Theophorus
@Avila123

Thank you and God Bless you both.

:blessyou:

[quote="Avila123, post:3, topic:343644"]

1. EMHC's may suffer allergic reactions to wine BUT as the Blood of Christ isn't wine, no allergic reaction will happen. (Probably will now that I mention it).

[/quote]

Nice thought, but unfortunately its untrue. The Precious Blood retains all the accidents/external characteristics of wine even though it is no longer wine in its substance. If you have an issue with wine or alcohol, you will have an issue with the Precious Blood. the same goes for coeliacs/the wheat intolerant and the Body of Christ.

God bless

Funnily enough I do have an very adverse reaction to wine (even a small amount), which was one reason I wanted to avoid being an EMHC. I was sternly informed by the Priest that it wasn’t wine but the Blood of Christ, therefore, it could not cause problems. Even when I had to consume a quantity that was similar to the amount of wine that would cause severe illness for 48 hours, nothing happened. Maybe, I have received a special blessing?

Even priests can be wrong! :slight_smile: Theophorus is totally correct. Transubstantiation changes the SUBSTANCE of the wine into Jesus, it does not affect the taste, smell, alcohol, etc., by which we would normally be able to tell that this is wine. These ACCIDENTS remain unchanged, unsupported by the substance of wine. Totally miraculous!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.