Resources for training altar servers

I was recently asked to train/retrain the altar servers at our very small parish. I guess normally the pastor or a deacon would do this, but as we’re a rural mission parish, Father is not readily available and we have no Deacon.

I was last an altar server about 30 years ago, and though I still remember most of what Fr. Sigman taught me when I was 9, i think i need something more formal than my childhood recollection to go by. Does anyone have any books they recommend? Should I try to get my hands on a copy of the GERM?

Most of all pray for me and my class.

juanisimo

“Now, therefore, fear the LORD and serve him completely and sincerely. … As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
Joshua 24:14-15

I have not read Guide for Servers – Revised Edition. But it is encouraging to find that it has “This resource has been updated with texts from the third edition of The Roman Missal.” More information about it is at ltp.org/p-2516-guide-for-servers-revised-edition.aspx .

I can’t recommend any written resources except the GIRM, but one good resource would be to watch some videos of well-celebrated Masses on YouTube. I think, for example, of Papal Masses. There are ceremonies in those Masses that don’t occur in regular parishes (although not many, typically) but for an idea of just how well-trained they should be, I think Papal Masses are a very good example.

Which form of the Mass are you serving?

Thank you for all the recommendations. I will look into them all. Thanks also for the correction on GIRM. (Now wonder I couldn’t figure out what the E stood for after I wrote it.)

We celebrate the Novus Ordo Mass.

Any other suggestions will be very welcome as well.

juanisimo

“Now, therefore, fear the LORD and serve him completely and sincerely. … As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
Joshua 24:14-15

Know that these are general instructions. Your parish will have more specific rules on where they sit, keep the missal, process before the gospel, etc.

Right. The IGMR/GIRM does not apply in the EF.

You lost me there Pro. What is the EF?

He’s talking about the Extraordinary Form of the Mass (EF) also known as the Traditional Latin Mass. The rubrics are different.

I’ve found The Ministry of Servers by Fr. Michael Kwatera, OSB to be helpful:

amazon.com/The-Ministry-Of-Servers-Collegeville/dp/0814629598

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.