Resources on doctrine of Mary

I very much want to study the doctrine of Mary both from the traditional Catholic and Anglican points of view.

From the traditional Catholic perspective, I am considering the following two books available from Amazon.com (here in the U.S.).

Discovering Mary: Answers to Questions about the Mother of God by David Mills (St. Anthony Messenger Press, 2009).

Encyclopedia of Mary by Monica Dodds and Bill Dodds (Our Sunday Visitor, 2007).

However, locating resources from the traditional Anglican perspective is more difficult.

Are there any suggestions?

…Scottish Monk

Not sure, someone will come along to help.

I would add “Mary Through the Centuries” by Jaroslav Pelikan, who at the time of print was Lutheran. It will give a great non Catholic perspective, and you could probably find it at the local library.

Peace

Here is a good place to start. Besides the Catechism, I would search the tracts here on Catholic Answers.

Mary is a wonderful role model for us all. I am thrilled that you are investigating!

GaryTaylor...

Thank you for your suggestion of "Mary Through the Centuries" by Jaroslav Pelikan.

...Scottish Monk

fermat...

Thank you for your suggestions on the doctrine of Mary.

...Scottish Monk

Also consider reading the two papal pronouncements which declare her immaculate conception and her bodily assumption. Lots of background information in them.

papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9ineff.htm
papalencyclicals.net/Pius12/P12MUNIF.HTM

[quote="Scottish_Monk, post:4, topic:286023"]
GaryTaylor...

Thank you for your suggestion of "Mary Through the Centuries" by Jaroslav Pelikan.

...Scottish Monk

[/quote]

Your Welcome!:)

snarflemike...

Thank you for the two papal encyclicals on the immaculate conception and assumption.

...Scottish Monk

A book you may want to check out is True Devotion to Mary by Louis de Montfort

de Montfort was a leading Marian spiritualist whose works have had an impact on many catholics, notably John Paul II.

For a brief overview of one Anglican perspective you can read about Marian spirituality at St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Their priest is very knowledgeable; you can write her for ideas for books and I'm sure she'll be helpful.

Some links you may find useful…

From an Anglican perspective relating to the Caroline Divines of the 17th Century:

Mark Frank and the Mother of God
mariannedorman.homestead.com/Theotokos.html

Andrewes and the Caroline Divines’ Teaching on the Blessed Virgin Mary
anglicanhistory.org/essays/dorman3.pdf

The Marian Year
mariannedorman.homestead.com/Mary.html

Marian Devotion in the C of E:

Society of Mary
societyofmary.net/index.htm

Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
walsinghamanglican.org.uk/welcome/index.htm

From a Catholic perspective:

The Marian Archive
franciscan-archive.org/bvm/#Documents

Mary resource page:
campus.udayton.edu/mary/infomenu.html

If you want an extra read, I would recommend Mary in the New Testament edited by Raymond E. Brown, Karl P. Donfried, Joseph A. Fitzmyer and John Reumann (Fortress Press, 1978). This book is a result of collaborative work of both Catholic and Protestant (mainly Lutheran) NT scholars. I find it very informative and they managed to raise factual information about Mary in the NT without being belligerent.

[quote="Reuben_J, post:11, topic:286023"]
If you want an extra read, I would recommend Mary in the New Testament edited by Raymond E. Brown, Karl P. Donfried, Joseph A. Fitzmyer and John Reumann (Fortress Press, 1978). This book is a result of collaborative work of both Catholic and Protestant (mainly Lutheran) NT scholars. I find it very informative and they managed to raise factual information about Mary in the NT without being belligerent.

[/quote]

Agree'd which IMHO is what I believe the OP is in search of. :) Non-bias factual non-Catholic historic reseach. :thumbsup:

Rabbity…

Thank you for your suggestions.

…Scottish Monk

Symphorian…

Thank you for the excellent links. I particularly liked the background music on some of the links.

…Scottish Monk

Reuben J…

Thank you for your suggestion.

…Scottish Monk

GaryTaylor…

Yes, but I also want to understand the Catholic position.

…Scottish Monk

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.