Resources on Eucharist

I am writing an essay on the Eucharist as an act of thanksgiving, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any books or other resources on this topic, including discussions of the early history of the Eucharistic celebration. Thank you in advance.

[quote="StMartinTours, post:1, topic:342666"]
I am writing an essay on the Eucharist as an act of thanksgiving, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any books or other resources on this topic, including discussions of the early history of the Eucharistic celebration. Thank you in advance.

[/quote]

I have a book titled, "Eucharist Through The Centuries." by Rev. Roberto de la Vega, Archdiocese of Santa FE. Circle Press. I haven't read it all yet but so far it's great. Goes thru each Century and has statements from sooo many Saints, Popes and Holy People. Might be just what your looking for. I'm not sure if CAF carries it but you might ask. Or if you have a Catholic Religious store close, they may have it or could order it for you. Wish I could loan you mine. God Bless, Memaw

Try books by St. Peter Julian Eymard, Vinny Flynn, Fr. Mitch Pacwa, Fr. Barron, St. Alphonsus Liguori, Joan Carroll Cruz and Scott Hahn.

The Hidden Manna by Fr. James O'Conner

ignatius.com/Products/HM2-P/the-hidden-manna.aspx#

Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Dr. Brant Pitre

ignatius.com/Products/JJRE-H/jesus-and-the-jewish-roots-of-the-eucharist.aspx

A lot of these books are either available on the shelves or can be ordered in a few days from Barnes & Noble. Check out B&N.com, select "religious books" and search by either title or author. I have found a couple on the shelves. (Of course, under "religious books" on B&N.com, you'll also find thousands (at least) of books on Protestantism, Buddhism & others. Even some on Occult beliefs, so narrow your search to "Catholic Religious Books". Good luck!

[quote="judynurse, post:5, topic:342666"]
A lot of these books are either available on the shelves or can be ordered in a few days from Barnes & Noble. Check out B&N.com, select "religious books" and search by either title or author. I have found a couple on the shelves. (Of course, under "religious books" on B&N.com, you'll also find thousands (at least) of books on Protestantism, Buddhism & others. Even some on Occult beliefs, so narrow your search to "Catholic Religious Books". Good luck!

[/quote]

Even better would be to support Catholic bookstores.....local or online:thumbsup:

Yes, it would, if we had one here!! Town is less than 2,000, of which perhaps 200 - 240 are Catholics. We do have a very small Catholic gift shop with Rosaries, statues and tracts and prayer cards, medals. However, the original Church is a documented Historical Site, and is also a tourist attraction. The Gift Shop is in the basement of the Church, and very small. No more that 1/2 doz. or so books, most of them of the more popular works, such as "Diary of a Soul" by St. Therese of the Child Jesus. Yes, they can order books, but are closed after Thanksgiving except on weekends, then close just prior to Christmas and do not re-open until the tourists come back with warmer weather. So, I get my books from Barnes & Noble. If I finish a book, and it's not one I am going to read over & over again, I donate it to our Parish Library, which is also just one small room. Even the city nearest me has only a couple of Catholic Gift Shops which carry books, and they aren't easy to get to through the traffic.

That's why I use Barnes & Noble. The Catholic Publishers still get the income from publishing the books, and I don't have to fight traffic or wait a couple of months to get a book.

If you live in a city and can drive in the traffic, and have a Catholic bookstore, you are blessed! I'm in my 70's, go to the nearby city perhaps twice a year (really don't like all that traffic), so I order online from B&N. The only online Catholic Publisher/Bookstore I order from is Ave Maria Press. If they have something in stock, I order from them and pay the shipping fees. Otherwise, I get all my Catholic Books via Barnes & Noble on my trips a couple times a year. Keeps me in books through the icy winters here, and then through the summer tourist crowds so I don't have to take a chance driving in heavy traffic. I go in Spring and late Fall each year.

[quote="judynurse, post:5, topic:342666"]

[/quote]

I do prefer to patronize our Catholic sources if possible. God Bless. Memaw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.