Respect for other peoples religions and beliefs

‘We begin to see more clearly what is real. Through constant contact with our Higher Power, the answers that we seek come to us. We gain the ability to what we once could not. We respect the beliefs of others. We encourage you to seek strength and guidance according to your belief.’ Basic Text. 6th Edition.

Must we respect other peoples religions and beliefs? I am in a 12 step program and we are taught to respect others religions and beliefs.

You must respect the right to hold religious beliefs of there choosing and respect them as people made in the image of God. That doesn’t mean you believe “everything is true” or “Whats true for me is not true for them”.

Respect for other peoples’ beliefs is important, but I think it’s also important that respect doesn’t lead to silence. (it’s very easy to just say nothing.)

Jesus is the one sent by God to bridge the gap between God and man. Jesus said that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and that no one can come to the Father except through him.

We shouldn’t start fights with another person, but should respectfully tell them what we believe also.

Just my opinion

As long as one does not equate “respect” with “acceptance” or “tolerance” then sure…respect for others (not the belief) is important.

You have to frame this in the context of the 12 step program. There’s nothing wrong with sharing about your personal faith and about Jesus (that’s a good thing), just remember those going through the program itself are there to make a change in their lives, and you will have people around you from different faiths, even atheists, and agnostics.

You don’t have to act as though you agree, but yes, respecting others is a part of it, as they have a right to their own beliefs even if they are wrong.

It’s kinda in CAF rules ain’t it?
:cool:
Respect doesn’t mean you agree, it means you show them the dignity you would expect for yourself.

I don’t know, it depends on how you define respect.

I respect the right of people to hold religious beliefs, I respect religious people just as I do anyone else, and I have many close friends and relatives that I love dearly who are religious.

But I don’t respect the beliefs themselves. That goes from every religion from Christianity, to Druidism, to Buddhism. There are some beliefs from many traditions that I view as beautiful and profound, and some beliefs from many traditions that I find morally repugnant and disgusting. But either way, I don’t “respect” the beliefs, because I really don’t see any reason to do so.

Do you want people to have respect for you and your beliefs? If no, then do and say what you want, just expect the same treatment back at you. If yes, then you should treat other people and their beliefs as you would want your own to be treated.

And by that, I mean that you don’t have to agree with the belief, but you should be polite and considerate of the person. If you invite a Muslim or a devout Jew to dinner, don’t serve pork. Don’t speak ill of their beliefs in front of them or pick a fight with them. Don’t profane their sacred objects. That sort of thing. Remember that other people really believe in their religions and remember what it feels like to have someone be condescending or disrespectful of your own opinions and cherished beliefs. They have the same feelings about their religions as you do about yours. So, act as you would want someone of another faith to act towards you if the roles were reversed.

How do you respect other people’s religions or beliefs? What exactly does it mean to respect a value system that is contrary to yours?

In the context of a 12 step program it would be this bit of the definition of “respect;” To avoid violation of or interference with. So if you have a practicing Muslim at a meeting or in a program with you, you would “respect” their belief by not trying to interfere with them. Faith in something is large component of most 12 step programs.

It doesn’t mean you can’t share your belief or you have to agree with someone.

:thumbsup:
Thank you for all your replies. Although in a meeting you are not allowed to share about your specific belief. Such as, Jesus or Allah. Tradition violation.

You’re welcome! I was thinking more along the lines of talking with a sponsor, or perhaps others after the main meetings, but you’re right. :yup:

Ah, Eastertide! A time for resurrection… of somewhat stale threads.

Anyway, I am in the process of becoming a certified nursing assistant (CNA). One of the concerns, rightly, addressed is “spirituality” - something CNAs are encouraged to assist in insofar as they can.

But I wonder, how far ought I go? Working with fellow Catholics is desirable. But how far ought I encourage a person in their religion/faith/etc if they are not even Christian, if at all? I have no desire to further someone in a half-truth - or worse, a plain lie. On the other hand, I want to offer the Truth - the Resurrection.

Perhaps I ought leave it at that if they don’t want to say anymore. Maybe ask them questions about their faith? But not encourage them in services, or pray with them (unless they worship God, at least) or join in their rites?

Why should I necessarily respect a persons views if they are antithetical to my own? I might respect the integrity of one of a different persuasion than I am but that does not mean I am going to respect the theology of Bahai or gnosticism which denies the importance of the body.

We should obviously tolerate people and try not to kill people we dissagree with, but respect their beliefs? No, we don’t need to do that.

Rather a blanket statement, the respect is for the humans, their belief may or may not be out to lunch.

Just because you disagree with someone about their choice of dress/religion/viewpoint/lifestyle/partner etc doesn’t automatically follow that you disrespect or hate them. It just means that at this point in time you disagree on a certain issue.

Wow…I didn’t expect any more replies. Thank you:) I do respect others as individuals and their right to their views and beliefs. It’s got easier as time has gone on. I do not mock others religious beliefs, although others mock Catholicism and Christianity in general in the 12 step fellowship. I do my best to live by example.

Good on you.:thumbsup: It’s all about delivery. If the message is right but the delivery is wrong then it falls on deaf ears. If the message is wrong but the delivery is spot on and speaks to the hearts and minds of the audience, then it has won.

Some of us are better at communicating our ideas and understanding of the faith without offending. I am someone who needs to work more on being less defensive and fully understanding the basic aspects of the faith so that I can better defend it.

The post right above yours answers your question perfectly:

You are not there to pass judgements on their chosen faith. Let’s put it another way.

What if you were in a Muslim hospital and they said you couldn’t say your rosary, and that you had to pray toward Mecca and were refused access to a priest? How would you like that?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.