Respect for parents.

In some bible verse(which i can’t find) it said something like these i believe, that respect your parents or treat them as you would the Lord. I don’t know if these verse exist but i can remember reading it. Anyway if that verse does exist how to treat your parents in that way? And in general how should the relationship between child and parent look like?

And for those that will be saying talk to your priest, i want to say that i will, but im not home right now and i will speak to him sometime when i come home but right now i need those answers so i know i won’t be doing anything wrong.

The only Biblical advice about respecting one’s parents, that I can remember at the moment, is the 4th Commandment: “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the LORD your God gives you.” Exodus 20 2-17 for all 10.

A good rule of thumb is to go by what Jesus (and others) said: Treat others as you would have them treat you.

With respect to your parents, ask yourself if you would like your children to treat you as you are treating your parents.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.