Responding to a meme

I saw this little gem today: https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17265260_1221300297987831_1979074438137096639_n.jpg?oh=5f96a08dba5920a5ff979a63b22ecde3&oe=5964DC0A

I was thinking about replying by posting a few Bible verses I found relevant:

1: Peter 3:21
John 19:27
John 2:5
James 2:26
Matthew 16:18-19
Matthew 28:19-20
Luke 10:16

Thoughts?

Personally, I’d say don’t waste your time. Responding to this type of ignorance is usually ineffective, as the people posting it isn’t interested in learning, only in attacking.

If you do decide to respond (and I have responded to a number), get ready for a long fight with people completely misrepresenting your positions, ignoring your arguments, and attacking you with ad hominems. Also, you’ll see dozens of non-sequiturs and gross, gross mis-characterizations.

I’m thinking of all the limits this person has put on Christ, and I’m not even Catholic

You could respond to this that they should add the following to the list:

“Not Faith”
“Not Avoidance of Sin”
“Not Preachers”
“Not Loving God”

By their logic, none of these things have anything to do with salvation.
We might as well just throw our hands up in the air, become Calvinists, and behave like heathens.

I’m interested in how others would respond.

Mary.

Your verses are right on the money. It’s unfortunate that so many people fail to realize that Jesus saves, through Baptism, through His Church, through Preachers etc. etc.

1 Timothy 4:16New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

16 Attend to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in both tasks, for by doing so you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.

Technically speaking, Jesus Christ has saved.

…Salvation History is simply the unfolding of God’s Redemptive Plan for humankind accomplished in the Resurrection through the very means the message in the photo seeks to undermine.

The photo is attempting to pit God against Himself, essentially.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.