Responding to an attempted refutation of Baptismal regeneration

How do I respond when protestants cite Psalm 49:7 to attempt to refute baptismal regeneration?

None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him

Also does any Catholic Council refer to Titus 3:5 as relating to Baptism? The verse clearly does, I just want to know if this can be found in an ecumenical council.

You start off by agreeing 100% with the Psalm. In Baptism, WE don’t redeem anyone. GOD does. We know God does because God tells us so.

daves-ahumbleservant.blogspot.com/search/label/Baptism

I don’t know if a specific Council refers to Titus 3:5 in regards to Baptism, but the Catechism does:

1215 This sacrament is also called “the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit,” for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one “can enter the kingdom of God.” [Tit 3:5; Jn 3:5]” (CCC 1215).
scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm

Delve into Saint Augustine’s writings, especially his treatise Against Pelagius, to understand some of the arguments for Baptism and its regenerative quality. You can find it on the New Advent website (the site with the Catholic Encyclopedia).

May God bless you all! :slight_smile:

John 3 says, “I tell you most solemnly, unless a man be born through water and the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God; what is born of the flesh is flesh; what is born of the spirit is spirit.”

You could ask them to explain John 3 to you.

The whole verse of the quote in Ps 49 is:

But man could never redeem himself or pay his ransom to God:
it costs so much to redeem his life, it is beyond him;
how then could he live on for ever and never see the Pit—

What is in red, the psalmist says is that he will get the same treatment as all the evil people do, because he can’t be redeemed either. But then he knows that this is not fair or just. So he comes to this conclusion in verse 15, “But God will redeem my life from the grasp of Sheol, and will receive me”.

This is all to hint at the final resurrection and life eternal.

And Psalm 79 says:
“Bring us back, O God of hosts: let your face shine on us and we shall be saved.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.