Response to Protestant Hypothetical

A Protestant friend asked us the following question: “If one of your children told you their family, after much prayerful and reflective consideration, was joining an evangelical church and they would like you to come and witness their baptism that represents their relationship with Jesus Christ, would you attend and support their decision.”

NB. We might have asked this question earlier on this thread, but have been unable to find the responses??? So, we are re-posting:rolleyes:

No. However, if I were not a deacon my answer may be different. Maybe not.

Probably not, but if I were not a deacon my answer may be different. May be.

I would say that while I rejoice in the fact that my child has developed a deeper relationship with Jesus, I could not be happy about attending a ceremony which denies my belief that there is only one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I would hasten to remind my child that (s)he was baptized that ONE TIME in his or her infancy, and that nothing more would really be happening at the second ceremony other than getting wet.

Further, I would explain that if attending suggests that I support the decision to leave the Catholic Church, then I cannot attend because I do not support that decision. I would also explain that if (s)he really wants to have a deeper relationship with Jesus, then it would be wise to remain in the one, true Church that Jesus promised to build upon Peter, the rock.

Numerous pamphlets and articles would then be presented as evidence. :yup:

And FWIW, I’m a convert, I was baptized in the Methodist Church as an infant and again *conditionally *when I joined the Catholic Church. My sister, meanwhile, has been baptized three times - once as an infant and twice more each time she has decided to get serious about God again.

These “re-baptisms” make about as much sense to me as does the renewing of wedding vows after 25 years or more of marriage. It’s just a photo op that everyone feels good about but nothing has changed after all the hoopla is over.

Have I made my feelings clear enough? :slight_smile:

If they were not already baptized and were being baptized in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit, I would gladly go! It’s a valid baptism.

If they were being re-baptized into another faith, I would have conversations with them of why it is erroneous to do so, while affirming their growing relationship with Christ.

Whether I would attend the latter would depend I guess. If through the “baptism” they just wanted to publicly declare their faith, then I would probably go, since the water aspect of declaring faith doesn’t mean much.

If they meant to be baptized because their catholic baptism was erroneous I would have a much harder time going.

I probably would go though. My family of evangelicals did not get why I was going Catholic, but it meant the world to me to have them at the Easter Vigil. I’d want the same for my kids.

They were impressed the Carholic Church recognized my evangelical baptism. Baptism is really a very ecumenical thing from the Catholic side, I’m hoping the evangelical side can stop re baptizing catholics and demonstrate in a real way the truth of our unity through our one baptism.

I would tell them that it would be a serious mistake for them to Apostatize from The Church that Jesus Christ founded to follow the teachings of some men from the 16th century.

I would attend. Maybe not in support of their decision, but in support of them as my children. My children know my beliefs and that they are not going to change. Life is too precious, short and uncertain to allow faith differences to separate us from our loved ones.

How likely is it that creating sadness, possibly hard feelings by not attending will make the children involved more inclined to return to the Church someday? That’s another thing I ask myself when facing decisions like this.

Objectively speaking, such an act of rejecting one’s Christian baptism and the Apostolic Church would be very gravely sinful. However, there are often questions of invincible ignorance and prudential judgment involved in such decisions.

were these children already baptised as Catholics?

No. And you might want to share this with your protestant friend.

Jesus does NOT permit division from His Church. Protestantism regardless of stripe is NOT Our Lords Church. As you will see, it’s actually condemned in scripture. Oh and they can’t point to the HS either for permission to leave. The HS doesn’t speak on His own, but only takes from Jesus and passes the inspiration on. John 16:12-15

John 17:20-23 [20] And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me; [21] That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. [22] And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: [23] I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me.

So even if hypothetically a person might use “prayerful and reflective consideration” as their “reason” to leave the Catholic Church and embrace Protestantism one of [FONT=Arial]The Great Heresies[/FONT]** in history**, it isn’t Jesus giving them the permission to leave or go into heresy. So they can’t point to Jesus for solice or an okay. By leaving the Catholic Church they are leaving Jesus every bit as much as those who left Him in [Jn 6:66] . By leaving the Catholic Church they leave all the means Jesus has given for our salvation to His only Church that He says He will build… Not to mention division from the Catholic Church is condemned in scripture…and there is no expiration to that warning

Note particularly the language in Rom 16 that follows. Paul is writing directly to the Church of Rome, the chair of Peter, and seat of the Catholic Church #[FONT=Arial]34[/FONT]

Romans 16:17-20 , [/FONT]Galatians 5:19-21 , the Greek word for division in those 2 selections is διχοστασίας dichostasia *= *division / dissension / factions /sedition (the link διχοστασίας is operational) . Gal 5:21 gives the consequences for one’s soul who dies in that sin. They won’t inherit heaven

That’s why the Catholic Church teaches

[FONT=Arial]846[/FONT]

That goes for your protestant friends as well

That’s the answer I would give if I was asked :wink:

Nope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.