Responsibility of Priests To Educate

Isn't it ultimately the priest's responsibility to educate parishioners and anyone attending mass esp at funerals who can and cannot receive Communion? It seems that they allow so many people to slide and receive the Eucharist when they know full well (esp in a small town) that so many do not attend mass and yet receive Communion at funerals for instance. Isn't the priest responsible to tell people that it is each individual's responsibility and duty to get educated about the rules and regulations about our religion regarding what a mortal sin is and going to Confession before receiving Communion? I'm so sick of watching people who are shacking up, attend mass sporatically or only at funerals and still receive Communion. There are non-Catholics receiving as well accompanied by Catholics who should know better. [edited] Why are they so affraid (or so it seems) of offending people who contribute nothing in time, money or their every day lives to the Church?

Anyways, back to the situation.
I do not think that priest worry about who receives communion and not, that is an issue up to the spiritual motives of the person receiving the host.

I do think it is a mortal sin for a priest, who knows this person that does not attend mass regularly, to give him a Host.

However, that priest would have no knowledge if that person went to another Church to attend mass or out sick.

A Good Catholic can attend a funeral that goes to another church and accept communion, and the priest would never know about it.
Same way a Protestant or secular can attend a Catholic funeral.

Canada's Prime Minister, who is a Protestant, accepted Holy Communion at a Catholic wedding or funeral.. The scandal is, if he put it in his pocket or consumed it.

[quote="HolySpirit08, post:1, topic:290144"]
Isn't it ultimately the priest's responsibility to educate parishioners and anyone attending mass esp at funerals who can and cannot receive Communion? It seems that they allow so many people to slide and receive the Eucharist when they know full well (esp in a small town) that so many do not attend mass and yet receive Communion at funerals for instance. Isn't the priest responsible to tell people that it is each individual's responsibility and duty to get educated about the rules and regulations about our religion regarding what a mortal sin is and going to Confession before receiving Communion? I'm so sick of watching people who are shacking up, attend mass sporatically or only at funerals and still receive Communion. There are non-Catholics receiving as well accompanied by Catholics who should know better. Why are priests so lax and hypocritical? Why are they so affraid (or so it seems) of offending people who contribute nothing in time, money or their every day lives to the Church?

[/quote]

You have the same responsibilities as the priest and you are a sinner...........
I have the same responsibilities as the priest and I am a sinner...........
The priest is a sinner too ........... !!!

[quote="HolySpirit08, post:1, topic:290144"]
Isn't the priest responsible to tell people that it is each individual's responsibility and duty to get educated about the rules and regulations about our religion regarding what a mortal sin is and going to Confession before receiving Communion?

[/quote]

Thank you, YES. I just wish they would say this on Easter and Christmas. The ideal homily would cover the authority of the Church, the importance of holy days of obligation, the True Presence, and being in a state of grace to receive the Eucharist.

When I attend the Maronite parish near me the priest always says you cannot receive communion if you are not Catholic or are not in the state of grace.

[quote="HisIsTheCrown, post:3, topic:290144"]
You have the same responsibilities as the priest and you are a sinner...........
I have the same responsibilities as the priest and I am a sinner...........
The priest is a sinner too ........... !!!

[/quote]

I know that I, as a Catholic have the responsibility to tell other Catholics what the precepts of the Church are and what our responsibilities are. I hope you don't expect me to stand up at the podium and give over half the congregation at funerals this information nor to do the same at Sunday mass. Rather than confronting people on an individual basis, I think it would be more accepted by those who need the education to be told on a general basis. If I were to do it, their reaction would be along the lines of "just who do you think YOU are?" They certainly are not going to listen to me. I've told several acquaintences and friends what a mortal sin is and that they must go to Confession, be truly sorry, do their penance and then receive Communion only for them to tell me that they tell God directly that they're sorry and that they don't need to go to Confession. Some have only been once in their lives...when they were children. They make their own rules and expect God to comply. I give up.

[quote="Mary_Fleurdelis, post:4, topic:290144"]
Thank you, YES. I just wish they would say this on Easter and Christmas. The ideal homily would cover the authority of the Church, the importance of holy days of obligation, the True Presence, and being in a state of grace to receive the Eucharist.

When I attend the Maronite parish near me the priest always says you cannot receive communion if you are not Catholic or are not in the state of grace.

[/quote]

Our priest finally said this too perhaps because a couple of us breached the subject but people don't know what "state of grace" means. They just sit there with blank expressions on their faces and get up and receive Communion. The priest has to be specific, direct. [edited]

[/quote]

I agree with you. This is a simple comment that can be inserted in an announcement and it can also be expounded upon within a homily/sermon.

Maybe a simple comment like, "Remember, you can only receive communion in a state of grace". If you have an un-confessed mortal sin on your soul, you must go to confession before receiving. If you have not observed the Eucharistic fast, which means you had something to eat less than an hour ago, you must not receive." That would help with those who feel self conscious about not receiving.

Some people really don't know or have been poorly catechized.

People don't know what a mortal sin is. They think only murder is a mortal sin and since they haven't killed anyone, they are perfectly within their rights to receive Communion. Even if they know what a mortal sin is, they STILL receive Communion. My cousin and her husband teach catechism. They have told the kids over and over again that they must attend mass and that not doing so unless they are sick (they all live within walking distance of the church and have several masses to choose from) is a mortal sin (they are pre teens and teenagers) and still, when they choose not to attend mass on Sundays and holydays but when they attend a funeral or a First Communion mass or an Easter or Christmas mass, they all receive Communion. They just turn a deaf ear like their parents do on what is right and wrong. :confused: :shrug:

I think that it's up to all of us to educate one another. For ages I attended church as I chose; attended mass on holy days sporadically; and hadn't been to confession in nearly 25 years - and truly was OK with it. Never really gave it much of a thought

One day several years ago, it occured to me that I was selecting what I wanted to of our religion as if it was a buffet - I'll have one of these, two of those, oh no thank you to that. It wasn't until I was listening to a homily one day that something finally snapped and got me back on the right track.

I thank our Lord every day that I finally listened, and strive to every day to live a life that brings Him glory and honor.

[/quote]

The ideal homily takes the readings and the Gospel and talks about applying it to our daily lives.

A simple statement before Communion about being Catholic, in a state of Grace (and explaining what that means), and eligible to receive should be sufficient.

[quote="HolySpirit08, post:5, topic:290144"]
I know that I, as a Catholic have the responsibility to tell other Catholics what the precepts of the Church are and what our responsibilities are. I hope you don't expect me to stand up at the podium and give over half the congregation at funerals this information nor to do the same at Sunday mass. Rather than confronting people on an individual basis, I think it would be more accepted by those who need the education to be told on a general basis. If I were to do it, their reaction would be along the lines of "just who do you think YOU are?" They certainly are not going to listen to me. I've told several acquaintences and friends what a mortal sin is and that they must go to Confession, be truly sorry, do their penance and then receive Communion only for them to tell me that they tell God directly that they're sorry and that they don't need to go to Confession. Some have only been once in their lives...when they were children. They make their own rules and expect God to comply. I give up.

[/quote]

Oh my gosh !!! Sooo righteous ! We need to sweep our own door step first before we tend to other's failures. Are we not too ready to put on the Roman Collar. I'm very happy I'm not your acquaintence or friend, I don't think we would be friends long.

All of us should hold our tongue in speaking negatively of our priests. It is not our place to judge them, for they are representatives of Christ. If you are a part of the Church Militant then you are obligated to speak directly with people that are doing these things you claim, but there is a way to speak about it charitably in order to teach them. We have a responsibility to teach without judgement, it is not our place to judge…that is reserved for God alone.

[quote="HolySpirit08, post:6, topic:290144"]
Our priest finally said this too perhaps because a couple of us breached the subject but people don't know what "state of grace" means. They just sit there with blank expressions on their faces and get up and receive Communion. The priest has to be specific, direct. They are so afraid of offending people. But what have they got to lose? Oh that's right...the collection box. Pathetic.

[/quote]

I'd be careful about critiquing our priests if I were you. Problem is that they are only allowed to withhold communion in very certain circumstances. Did you read about the priest that was chastised for refusing communion to a woman who identified herself as a lesbian?

These people that receive communion even though they know better are playing with fire...bottom line you can tell them but if they insist it is their soul their playing with and it is a losing game. We need to pray for these people.

And be nice to our priests!

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.