Resting in the Holy Spirit Question

I am Catholic and have had the pleasure to be around many wonderful priests and lay people with the gifts of the Holy Spirit. On occasion, when being prayed over, I fall and rest in the Spirit. This has happened about 10+ times. When other people fall, they tell me that they feel some sort of peace or happiness. However, when I fall, I have violent twitches and tremors. It is not necessarily painful, just very uncomfortable and I do not feel at peace. Does anyone know what this may mean?

Thank you

1 Like

Golly, I’ve been around priests and sisters but never “fell down” with the Holy Spirit so I don’t know how to help. But it’s an interesting topic so I want to see if anyone has answers. In the meantime, I’m praying… for gifts of the Holy Spirit, like I do all the time…

3 Likes

The more you grow up in the spirit, the lesser it becomes, Holy Spirit knows us inside out and he knows how to deal with us per time. I was once in that category when I just gave my life unto Christ about 12 years ago and started praying for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. God is a jealous God, so he would want to take over a life without rivalry. So once he is done with you, you will surely enjoy the relieve and refreshment. But pray God to divinely fill you.

1 Like

There are many possible causes of myoclonus.

The He in my word means (God or Heavenly father, Holy Spirit, Christ), whichever way you could call him, they are just one…God owns us all, and he knows what we need, falling under anointing is normal, because each time it happens, it is always for a purpose! You don’t need to entertain fear each time it happens…just keep praying to God for divine encounter, ask him to baptise you in the Holy Ghost. Mark 16:15, we live to enjoy his presence!

1 Like

It depends upon what you mean by spiritual. Do you mean “relating to religion or religious belief” or non-physical?

One key thing - you say you have ‘no peace’. On YouTube, Father Rippenger has these great discussions on spiritual protection - and being an exorcist. Something to consider, another avenue to think about.

1 Like

Both- what are you beliefs as to the reasons for myoclonus?

Catechism:

367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people “wholly”, with “spirit and soul and body” kept sound and blameless at the Lord’s coming. The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul. “Spirit” signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.

Since you wrote: "Medically I do not have them at all unless I rest in the Spirit. What would be the spiritual reasons? " it is not clear it you excluded any source. Medically includes a psychological source and there are many physiological sources. An immaterial source (such as the soul) could effect the mind or emotion.

Hi Dina,

I am a charismatic and I was saved by Jesus 18 years ago.

I prayed the miracle prayer, was baptised in the spirit and then baptised by water and received into the Catholic Church that same year after completing RCIA.

I know many Priests, Nuns, Consecrated, Single and Married folk who have rested in the spirit also.

I have a friend who had a similar experience. I have also seen others with different but similar experiences.

Quite simply, you are experiencing one of the following:

1. Psychological issue - Anxiety/Anger/Rage
  2. Demonic Influence

Now, the most common and likely reason is the first. The second is possible but less likely.

The most important thing for you to do is to see a Psychologist about this. The second thing you should do is to speak with your parish priest or contacting your archdiocese if that isn’t helpful.

Reply if I can assist further.

1 Like

There is no “normal”. Some fall down, some don’t. Some experience peace/joy and some don’t. Personally I feel this everyday and consider it “normal” for me. But it’s not normal for most.

1 Like

You body is just reminding you that it is holding a lot of trauma and you are in need of ongoing healing.

1 Like

Had the exterminator recently been there? Sometimes they over spay that stuff. :dizzy_face:

Spiritual experiences and psychological experiences are never mutually exclusive. Neither do they necessarily require the intervention of a psychiatrist or exorcist.

2 Likes

That is very true for me. Thank you for your insight and help!

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.