Restitution and work

So for the last 4-5 years I have worked for a few employers a desk job that is a good job but is pretty repetitive and work can be kind of slow. Sometimes I feel like I sit and stare at a computer screen for 40 hours a week. Thus, taking a “5 minute” break to read the news online or Wikipedia can be very tempting but those breaks can last 30-45 mins when I am not disciplined.

Lets say I wasted an average of 1-2 hours a day. In general, I do a good job and get a lot done, but I could have gotten more done if I was more disciplined.

I know it can be sinful to “waste time” when working. However, are we obliged to give restitution to our employer in monetary terms? I am trying to put in a few extra hours at work some times to make up for the past, but it is unlikely I will ever be able to make all the time up. Especially since I no longer work for two employers. It would be pretty expensive to pay that time back. I also have no legal obligation to give restitution but am wondering if there is a moral obligation to give restitution. I asked a priest once about this like 4 years ago, and he said he didn’t think I needed to but didn’t sound like he was too sure about it. A person on Catholic radio gave something similar to this a reason to make restitution.

As far as I remember, I have never lied on a time card. I just may have slacked out quite a bit.
Anyone ever worry or have concern about this?

Thanks!

ASK FATHER: laziness and accepting a paycheck

If you really believe that you’ve slacked off at work – and you’re confident that your boss is a reasonable person – you might speak to him or her. “Boss, in looking over my timesheet and my list of responsibilities, I see that, in the last couple weeks, I’ve failed to do everything on my list. I’d like to make it up to the company somehow.” If the boss is a reasonable person, he should be impressed with your honesty, and work with you to figure out the best way to move ahead. You will, of course, have brought future attention and scrutiny to yourself.

If the boss is less than reasonable, it might be best to simply put your nose to the grindstone and resolve to work harder from hereon in, perhaps even slowly but surely making up for “lost time”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.