Restrict the Gospel?

A dear friend at work left this on my desk - I guess to show me the error of my ways. A quick Google showed numerous sites with the exact, and I mean the exact same quotes (usually a sign of a hoax). I’ll show the passage:

“Of all the advice that we can offer your holiness we must open your eyes well and use all possible force in the matter, namely to permit the reading of the gospel as little as possible in all the countries under your jurisdiction. Let the very little part of the gospel suffice which is usually read in mass, and let no one be permitted to read more. So long as people will be content with the small amount, your interest will prosper; but as soon as the people want to read more, your interest will fail. The scripture is a book, which more than any other, has raised against us the tumults and tempests by which we have almost perished. In fact, if one compares the teaching of the scripture with what takes place in our churches, he will soon find discord, and will realize that our teachings are often different from the scripture, and oftener still, contrary to it.”

This is an excerpt from an address given by the Cardinals to Pope Pius III in 1503 AD. and is perserved in the National Library of Paris, Folio No. 1068, Vol 2, pp. 650-651

1962Missal brought up the following point:

[quote=1962Missal]Of the approximately 116 webpages that Google lists containing the above quote, all are either virulent anti-Catholic sites or (suprise) cut and pastes to message boards.

All except for the following interesting page:
www2.trincoll.edu/~dcruzuri/…ogus-quote.html

[/quote]

Thanks for the info, Missal, but does anyone have any other information on this hoax. I’d like a something a little bit more sound than this web page, so I can demonstrate to my fellow co-worker that some of the “information” he’s acquired about the Catholic Church has been made up by someone who just hates what they think the Catholic Church is.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Notworthy

Pius III, born Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini (May 9, 1439October 18, 1503), was pope from September 22 to October 18, 1503.

He was Pope for only 26 days - I’ll keep digging…

Phil

A library is not a source of a quote - what is the document source? Im not asking you, Im asking you to ask your friend…

I don’t think I have anything better than the link Missal provided, but how can one help but miss what a stupid forgery this is? If the Cardinals really believed this anti-Catholic tripe, why would they still be Catholic? If they believed that inerrant scripture contradicted infallable teaching, they’d wouldn’t be still counseling the Holy Father with bizarre strageties for spreading the faith. Did the Cardinals really not know that Holy Scripture is not one book, but a collection of books? It’s so silly, even ardent anti-Catholics would be hard-pressed to swallow it.

There are also documents in libraries that deny the holocaust. That prooves nothing.

Lets see some context here. Direct quotes from reliable sources.

[quote=NotWorthy]A dear friend at work left this on my desk - I guess to show me the error of my ways. A quick Google showed numerous sites with the exact, and I mean the exact same quotes (usually a sign of a hoax). I’ll show the passage:

1962Missal brought up the following point:

Thanks for the info, Missal, but does anyone have any other information on this hoax. I’d like a something a little bit more sound than this web page, so I can demonstrate to my fellow co-worker that some of the “information” he’s acquired about the Catholic Church has been made up by someone who just hates what they think the Catholic Church is.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Notworthy
[/quote]

Its a bogus quote. It is bought up all the time to attack the legitimacy of the Catholic Church. I have a 1962 Missal-it isnt in it. Does your friend know what missal it was in? Can you friend provide any substantiation for this quote ?

[quote=estesbob]Its a bogus quote. It is bought up all the time to attack the legitimacy of the Catholic Church. I have a 1962 Missal-it isnt in it. Does your friend know what missal it was in? Can you friend provide any substantiation for this quote ?
[/quote]

I’m sorry for the confusion. “1962Missal” is a poster on this forum. I took his quote, which was refuting someone’s arguement on a closed thread, to help defend against this hoax.

Incidentally, I googled for this quote. I found about 8-10 sites that had this “story”. They were all verbatim, some had the statement first and then the background, others had the background first and then the statement. I can assume that all these sites are derived from the same single source, which is a book written in 1974.

This is one of those silver bullets that “anti-catholics” refuse to use. If it’s a valid document and I were trying to prove the RCC was anti-scriptural, that document would not be hiding in archives at a Library in Paris! It would be trumpeted through the streets in front of every Catholic Church in the World!

But since it’s a hoax, it will reside on the internet forever, to be used by people that have already made up their minds in the first place.

Take Care!

Notworthy

I just have one question. See the bolded part.

This is an excerpt from an address given by the Cardinals to Pope Pius III in 1503 AD. and is perserved in the National Library of Paris, Folio No. 1068, Vol 2, pp. 650-651

Since when do the “Cardinals” give an address to anyone let alone the Pope. Only one person gives an address, a group of people do not do so.

Save your researching, folks. Good old Catholic Answers has already addressed this laughable myth in an article published in “This Rock” magazine several years ago which is available on-line here:

Another Anti-Catholic Myth Exposed
By Father Clement Smith
catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0209fea7.asp

This should always be the FIRST place you should look when debunking old anti-Catholic canards. Odds are, it’s already been addressed by CA. Surely there is nothing new under the sun! :slight_smile:

Whether Catholic or Protestant; those who stand under the banner of ‘Christian’ need to refute those who claim we should restrict / add to the 4 Gospels.

St. Irenaeus (one of my fav. ECF’s), had this to say on the subject…

http://www.rc.net/wcc/readings/father10.htm

Peace and love to you all.:slight_smile:

That quote is sounds 100% accurate!!! By the way did you know?

-The US never landed on the moon
-September 11 was orchestrated by the Jews and the CIA
-The holocaust never happened
-A UFO really crashed at Roswell

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And Mr. Ed was a Zebra.

(actually, per Snopes, this is true…)

-ACEGC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.