Resurrection vs. Everlasting Life

About a dozen years ago, a Western Civilization professor told our class that Christianity’s “original” doctrine was that of Resurrection and that all believers would rise again, but when Christ “failed” to come back as his believers thought he would, that they had to change the doctrine from Resurrection to Everlasting Life. He had no written backing of this statement, and I have yet to find anything on this. Does anyone know if this may be true?

you might want to show him a copy of the Nicene Creed which clearly states what Christian belief is and has been continually for 2000 years, we believe the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

Steve-o,
I’m not sure if this is what you’re getting at, but the following scriptures suggest that the NT holds out a belief in a continuing existence after physical death:

2 Corinthians 5:6-9 Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord- for we walk by faith, not by sight- we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.

Philippians 1:21-24 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.

2 Peter 1:13 -14 I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder, knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent, as also our lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.

This, along with a belief in a future resurrection of the body, such as in 1 Corinthians 15:17-22, and elsewhere:

1 Corinthians 15:17-22 For if the dead are not raised, neither has Christ been raised, 17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are the most pitiable people of all. 20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead came also through a human being. 22 For just as in Adam all die, so too in Christ shall all be brought to life

Hope this helps. A.H.F.

[quote=puzzleannie]you might want to show him a copy of the Nicene Creed which clearly states what Christian belief is and has been continually for 2000 years, we believe the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.
[/quote]

That’s What I’m Talking About!

matthew

[quote=Steve-o]About a dozen years ago, a Western Civilization professor told our class that Christianity’s “original” doctrine was that of Resurrection and that all believers would rise again, but when Christ “failed” to come back as his believers thought he would, that they had to change the doctrine from Resurrection to Everlasting Life. He had no written backing of this statement, and I have yet to find anything on this. Does anyone know if this may be true?
[/quote]

He’s wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.