Resurrection

I have a question regarding Lazarus, Jesus, and the resurrection. I don’t know where this goes but I’ll place it here for now.

My sister (who gave me permission to ask this) doesn’t believe that Jesus actually raised Lazarus from the dead. She believes that it is impossible to raise someone from the dead. That being said, I have two questions for this

A. Does this belief in effect reject the Divinity of Christ?
B. Does this idea reject the Resurrection of Christ by Default?

Just one question - okay, two questions. Does she deny the divinity of Jesus? And why does she believe raising someone from the dead is impossible?

1. She does not deny the divinity of Christ but saying that Christ DID NOT raise someone from the dead would therefore imply that Christ himself could not do it.

2. As to why she believes this, she has yet to explain this to me.

Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.

:yup:

Which is why I am wondering if that causes the Divinity of Christ to be denied by default.

There are many.

Jesus raised from the dead:

[LIST]
*] The widow’s son at Nain (Luke 7:11-17)
*] Jairus’ daughter (Matthew 9:18-26; Mark 5:21-43; Luke 8:40-56)
*] Lazarus (John 11:1-44)
*]Many saints resurrected at Jesus’s crucifixion (Matthew 27:52-53)
*]Jesus’s resurrection (Matthew 28:5-7)
[/LIST]
Also:

[LIST]
*] Elijah resurrected the son of Zarephath’s widow (1 Kings 17:17-24)
*] Elisha resurrected the son of the great Shunammite woman (2 Kings 4:35)
*] A dead man comes back to life when he touched Elisha’s bones (2 Kings 13:21)
*]Peter raises a female disciple named Tabitha from the dead (Acts 9:36-42)
*]Paul raises Eutychus from the dead (Acts 20:9-12)
[/LIST]

Well, if she believes that the dead cannot be raised then there’s not much point in our faith, is there?

**12But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

If the dead are not raised,

“Let us eat and drink,

for tomorrow we die.”** 1 Cor 15:12-19 & 32

Why denied?

I’m going to explain my question using 1 Corinthians 15:13-14

“13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.”

Basically what I am mean is this. If Lazarus was not raised from the dead BY Christ, then Christ didn’t rise from the dead and therefore is not the Son of God. That being said, if you take way the Resurrection of Lazarus, then would you be denying that Christ rose from the dead and therefore rejecting that Jesus is the Son of God.

Only in the sense that the whole gospel would fall apart-rendered unbelievable. The problem is that we have to deny the words of the gospel to say that Lazarus wasn’t raised. This is a separate issue from saying that he could not be raised. If we say that the dead cannot be raised then we’re doubting the power of God. Either way our faith would be in vain.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.