Retail job - 2 questions

I am working at a full-time temporary job right now (worked at the place last year, temporary and came back again this year). I like the pay and it’s close to my house, and I like the people I work with. However, it’s not my dream job but it’s good for now. I did want to work in a retail position part-time, so I’ve been looking. I applied to Nordstrom, and really wanted to work there as my first choice. The location I applied to is very close to the job I’m at now also.

I worked as a seasonal employee at Nordstrom awhile go, 2 times… Once as a cashier and the other as a sales associate. Long story short, the second time I worked there as a sales associate I didn’t have a good experience near the end with my supervisor. But, this was about more than 5 years ago. Anyway, I got a call for an interview and I was surprised and happy because I wasn’t expecting it. During the interview i told her Sundays I go to church, (which i go on Saturdays sometimes but i didn’t mention that). She said she would need me to work some Sundays, but would would work around my schedule so i can make it to church. she also thought i worked in the one seasonal position as a cashier, but not as the sales associate so i didn’t mention it. is that wrong? anyway, I ended up getting the job (seasonal position, but based on performance could stay).

My first question is, since I will still of course go to mass either Saturday or Sunday morning, is it a sin to work some Sundays???

Second question, or is more of a sugesstion… I know my family members and a friend of mine will start asking me to buy them stuff with my discount, but I don’t want to since that would be considered stealing, even though I’m sure a lot of people do it there. So, I was thinking I could just tell them ok but end up paying from my pocket the rest. But, I don’t know how I would do that without them knowing I didn’t use the discount.

No, there’s nothing wring with that.

My first question is, since I will still of course go to mass either Saturday or Sunday morning, is it a sin to work some Sundays???

No, this is not a sin.

Second question, or is more of a sugesstion… I know my family members and a friend of mine will start asking me to buy them stuff with my discount, but I don’t want to since that would be considered stealing, even though I’m sure a lot of people do it there. So, I was thinking I could just tell them ok but end up paying from my pocket the rest. But, I don’t know how I would do that without them knowing I didn’t use the discount.

Don’t buy something for them while paying out of your own pocket. Just tell them you don’t feel comfortable doing that for them. If they can’t respect your “no”, then there is something wrong. I recommend the book “Boundaries” by Cloud and Townsend, as well as the book “Safe People” by the same authors.

Thank you so much!

I think that everyone understands that Sunday retail hours have become very commonplace and are even more so during the Christmas shopping season. I cannot imagine that working required retail job hours on Sundays would be considered sinful, provided that one attends Mass.

Second question, or is more of a suggestion… I know my family members and a friend of mine will start asking me to buy them stuff with my discount, but I don’t want to since that would be considered stealing, even though I’m sure a lot of people do it there. So, I was thinking I could just tell them ok but end up paying from my pocket the rest. But, I don’t know how I would do that without them knowing I didn’t use the discount.

Are you serious? Letting people take advantage of you and paying for it?

I would ask your employer if it is permissible to buy things for others, using their money, on your discount card. If they tell you it is OK then it is not stealing, but a permissible use of your card. My son works for Target and they are only too happy to take any purchases on his card as they make a profit anyway.

I don’t think it is ideal to work on Sundays, however, if you make sure that you attend Mass and keep up with your other religious observations, I don’t think it’s a sin. God understands that people have to make a living and in the world we live it, places are open on Sunday. Just make sure you give the Lord His due on Sundays the rest of the time.

PS- I have worked several retail jobs and have never been told it was “stealing” to buy things for other people and have them reimburse me. I grant you, having people constantly ask for this favor can be annoying, but most the places I’ve worked were fine with it. In fact, Marmax Corp actually scheduled “Family and Friends Discount Days” where we were encouraged to bring in family to buy things on discount. A few weeks before Christmas we had a family night on a Sunday after the store closed. Family members were invited in for dinner and were allowed to put their Christmas purchases on layaway at 20% off! Macy’s also frequently distributed “family and friends” coupons so that employee’s relatives could use their discount without their having to be there. I would just ask your manager for clarification about the policy.

Do you think others are committing a sin by working on Sundays? That is millions of people you are judging…

Is it company policy–that you can’t by stuff for family and friends? Most retail stores that I have had any experience with (granted its been 30 years) didn’t have such a policy. They were just happy to sell --even at the discounted price–I think they figured it was sales they might not otherwise have had. I have a family member that works for Nike – I’m on a family list and I am allowed to shop at the employee store. I’d double check exactly what the policy is regarding purchases for family members–if you haven’t already.

The peace of Christ,
Mark

Yes, I agree you need to check with the employer on their policy and then abide by it.

FWIW, the retail company I work for specifies that employee discounts are ONLY for immediate family (spouse and living at home children, or if the employee still lives with their parents, then the employee and parents). It is made very clear that anything else is considered unethical by the employer.

I’ve had a few friends/family ask if I could get them a discount, but none ever had a problem with me simply saying “nope - sorry, against company policy.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.