Retired bishop says he failed to report priest abuse, withdraws from public ministry

(Green Bay) Diocese newspaper “The Compass” printed a letter from Bishop Robert Morneau to current Bishop David Ricken. Morneau says, “I failed to report to local authorities an incident of abuse of a minor by a priest in 1979 and, as a result, this priest was able to abuse again several years later.”

At least he did the right thing now even if it was too late to stop the abuse. McCarrick could learn a thing from him.

It’s encouraging that he has now done what he realizes he should have done years ago. I pray any others in this situation will follow suit.

I wish others would follow his example. I applaud his decision and will pray for him.

So the retired bishop can’t even say mass before a congregation now?

I believe that is correct.

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.