Retired Maronite bishop enters eternal rest

I was, sadly, informed this morning that Mar Francis Mansour Zayek has entered into eternal rest, and was laid to rest yesterday in Lebanon.

Mar Francis was the first Ordinary (Apostolic Exarch then Eparch) for the Maronites in the USA. He retired some 15 years ago and was, if memory serves, one month shy of his 90th birthday.

May he rest among the Righteous and the Just.

Memory Eternal.

With the spirits of the righteous made perfect give rest to the soul of Thy servant, O Savior, in that place of blessedness which is with Thee, oh Thou that lovest mankind.

Memory Eternal!
With the saints give rest, 0 Lord, to the soul of Thy servant Francis who has fallen asleep.

Prayers and petitions to the most Holy Theotokos for his repose.

Two other Eastern Catholic bishops are also mentionable in the last two months. There were also three others this year (Melkite, Armenian, and Byzantine).

July 27, 2010, the Chaldean Auxiliary Bishop Andraos Abouna of Baghdad, Iraq fell asleep at age 67.

August 25th, 2010, Bishop Emeritus Josehp Mahfouz of the Maronite Eparchy of Nossa Senhora do Líbano em São Paulo fell asleep at age 78.

• Blessed repose.

Thank you for the sad news. I was unaware.

I knew Mar Yowsef personally. He was a Baladite Monk, and was both a scholar in his own right and a good and holy man. With his passing, we’ve lost an important voice in the Synod. I’ve heard many negative comments about his tenure in Brasil, but I can only attribute those to the fact that he may not have been “pastoral” enough to suit some peoples’ taste.

May he rest with the Righteous and the Just.

Memory Eternal!

May the Lord welcome His loyal servant into His kingdom.

Memory eternal!

Memory eternal!

May he rest in the Bosom of Our Lord for all
Eternity.

Through the prayers of the Mother of God, have Mercy on Us and Save Us. Amen:signofcross:.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.