Return of Jesus within a generation

Did Jesus say He would return and establish His Kingdom within a generation or that people who were listening would not die until He returned first and established His Kingdom?

Matthew 16: 28, Matthew 23: 36, Matthew 24: 34

Mark 9: 1
He also said to them, “Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come in power.”

Mark 13: 30

Luke 9:27

Has this prophecy been fulfilled?

From my reading (which is not the reading of the Catholic Church) it is clear that Jesus anticipated the establishment of the kingdom in a matter of a few years. Early Christians likewise.

That seems problematic since it did not happen?

He could have been speaking of the unrighteous and the second death.

When he returns (the coming of the kingdom) and judges, the wicked will die the second death (eternal damnation).

So, this would not be in conflict of his claims in Matthew 24:36 that no one knows the time of the final judgment.

Luke 9, 27, eight days before the Transfiguration:

But I tell you of a truth: There are some standing here that shall not taste death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Haydock Commentary:

Kingdom of God. This is generally understood of the transfiguration, in which Christ shewed to the three disciples an essay of his glory. (Calmet)

1 Like

Yes, it HAS been fulfilled, in the persons of the THREE
disciples who saw the “kingdom of God” come w/ the
appearing of Jesus and Moses and Elijah TRANSFIGURED
in glory on the holy mountain, SIX days after Jesus said
this!! See Mark 9:1-2 Matt 16:28-17:2

1 Like

Pretty sure that seeing the resurrected Christ could maybe count. Then his ascension? Sometimes I think about those things and try to imagine having been there…WOWDIDDLY!! I just want to be there. Can’t quit talking about it! What is there more blessed and exciting than Him coming again? I think I’m gonna have a fit! GBYou!!

1 Like

Yes it was fulfilled. This is the Preterist understanding of these verses and it makes a lot of sense when read in that context.

1 Like

Seems likely that he was referring to the Apostle John and the Revelation.

The Kingdom of God with Christ as King is among us now–it is not an end times thing.

As mentioned above, the more common explanation refers to the Transfiguration, but some Fathers also interpret it as the Church:

St. Gregory (as quoted in the Catena Aurea) says: “Or, by the kingdom of God in this place, is meant the present Church; and some of His disciples were to live in the body up to that time, when they should behold the Church of God built and raised up against the glory of the world.”

https://www.ecatholic2000.com/catena/untitled-70.shtml#_Toc384506970

2 Likes

Not if you are, like me, a non-believer. We simply observe it.

My (personal?) take on it is that the kingdom of God has come in power, with the resurrection of Jesus and the establishment of the Church on earth. That establishment of the kingdom of God is both “already here” and “still in progress”, and it will be complete at the end of the world.

But, there were those who saw the initiation of the establishment of the kingdom of God at the time of Jesus’ resurrection, so… “fulfilled prophecy.”

2 Likes

IMO this was fulfilled by Pentecost and the start of the Church. So we are living in the thousand years with Christ period as described in the book of Revelation.

2 Likes

But didn’t that happen over 1000 years ago?

The view of the Catholic Church is generally “amillenialist”. That means that it’s not a literal 1000 years.

In the case of Mark and Luke: look at what immediately followed: The Transfiguration. He appeared in His Heavenly Glory to Peter, James and John. It was fulfilled on the 8th day following His promise. It is not so much a prophecy as it is a promise, as He had (and has) the power to do such things. Prophecy has to do with other times, people and occurrences, whereas a promise is made by the individual.

“Generation” From the Rev. George Leo Haydock commentary:

Ver. 34. This generation; i.e. the nation of the Jews shall not cease to exist, until all these things shall be accomplished: thus we see the nation of the Jews still continue, and will certainly continue to the end of the world. T. — Then the cross, which has been a scandal to the Jew, and a stumbling-block to the Gentile, shall appear in the heavens, for the consolation of the good Christian. Hoc signum crucis erit in cœlo, cum Dominus ad judicandum venerit. — If it be to be understood of the destruction of Jerusalem, the sense may be, this race of men now living; if of the last day of judgment, this generation of the faithful, saith Theophylactus,[4] shall be continued: i.e. the Church of Christ, to the end of the world. Wi. — This race, I tell you in very truth, shall not pass away till all this be finally accomplished in the ruin of Jerusalem, the most express figure of the destruction and end of the world. V. — By generation, our Saviour does not mean the people that were in existence at that time, but the faithful of his Church; thus says the psalmist: this is the generation of them that seek the Lord. Ps. xxiii, v. 6. S. Chrys. hom. lxxvii.

Ver. 35. Shall pass away: because they shall be changed at the end of the world into a new heaven and new earth. Ch.

1 Like

Yes, the Catholic Church is His Kingdom.

1546 Christ, high priest and unique mediator, has made of the Church “a kingdom, priests for his God and Father.” The whole community of believers is, as such, priestly. The faithful exercise their baptismal priesthood through their participation, each according to his own vocation, in Christ’s mission as priest, prophet, and king. Through the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation the faithful are “consecrated to be . . . a holy priesthood.”

567 The kingdom of heaven was inaugurated on earth by Christ. “This kingdom shone out before men in the word, in the works and in the presence of Christ” (LG 5). The Church is the seed and beginning of this kingdom. Its keys are entrusted to Peter.

It is not a literal 1000 years, just as the four horses in the vision are not literal horses.

Jesus never made errors such as that opinion implies .

Fact Is… Jesus gave us the Signs to look out for -

Just as “day” and “week” does not have to equate to 24 hours or 7 days…

So too - Generation can refer to an “Age”

)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.