Returning home....what do I do?

Hey All!
I have been away from the Church for many many years…
I have been doing everything possible to prepare myself for confession and get to a Priest. Since I am a long haul truck driver, its not that easy but I will keep trying…

My question’s are:

1. Background: I have committed some very serious mortal sin’s since leaving the church – including adultery. Although I know that it won’t be easy, I do believe that I will ultimately be forgiven for those sins. In the mean time, I was married by a Justice of Peace and would like to know if I will be able to take the Eucharist even after pennance?I have heard that you cannot take the Eucharist if you were married by a JP.

2. Can someone give me some idea about what to expect in my first confession in coming back? For the number and seriousness of the sins I have committed, how long will it take to get back into a state of grace?

I know that these question’s might sound pretty silly…

Thanks In Advance
Roger

Dear Roger,

Your questions are NOT silly. The Lord has His hand on you. It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that you are seeking the Lord at this time in your life.

I remember reading your question and intending to answer it right away, but for some reason I didn’t see it again. I apologize for not answering sooner since this is such an important matter for you. I rejoice with you in your new awareness of the Lord’s importance in your life. I’m afraid that your marriage is not seen as valid since you were married outside the Church. If you and your wife were never married before, getting your marriage blessed by the Church should not be a big problem. You do need to see your parish priest about this soon.

If you are willing to abstain from sexual intercourse until your marriage is blessed, you may go to Confession and receive Holy Communion. It won’t be possible to remember every sin committed for such a long time. Try to remember what you can and confess those. The priest will help you. You are in my prayers. Write again if you need to. I promise to answer soon.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.