Returning to Catholicism (and) Declaring allegiance

Hi guys.

This is quite a humbling experience, but I’m thinking of returning to the Catholic faith. Apologies if I’m not in the right section.

I grew up in Northern Ireland in the RC faith. Church was just something our family did but there wasn’t anything spiritual in it for me. I became interested in the Christian faith having met some evangelicals online. They got me interested in Christ, the Church and the scriptures. After a period of study I decided that I must leave the Catholic faith and become an evangelical. And so I did.

I loved the scriptures and still do. I became convinced that Rome was a pagan institution in service of the anti Christ and attacked her representatives at every opportunity. Sorry guys.
However I could never find a real home though away from the RCC. I tried baptists even adventists but I never felt at home.

The problem is I’ve educated myself away from Catholicism, in my head she’s still at odds with scripture. What I want to do is fix this problem.

I just attended mass on Sunday for the first time in many many years and consumed the Eucharist. Of course we had the Lord’s supper at Christian church and it always felt great. However I haven’t been a member of a church for quite a few months and was yearning for the Communion. So it was great!

I’m on the search for a Catholic apologist I heard some years ago. I was debating a Catholic regarding intercession of the saints. The guys provided me a link to a guy. He looked just like a American Christian pastor. Black hair cut in that normal Christian fashion.
Clean shaven. A little overweight though not unhealthily so. He explained how intercession was biblical using the book of Revelation. It was great and I remember being very troubled at the time.

Perhaps I’m being a little vague and won’t be able to find the guy through this description. However alternatively what I’d like to get if possible is some links to the main issues a Protestant might have with the Catholic faith. You know the score - Mary, intercession confession, holy water, idols etc.

I love videos and great podcasts and I’ve occasionally even been known to read a thing or two. Please help me feel comfortable to come back to The Church. Any help would be great. I’m sure you’ve probably a list somewhere I haven’t discovered and I know many of you guys will know of better material than what I can find myself.

Thanks in advance for your help and forgiveness, if you can find it in your heart.

Your brother in Christ.

Welcome home! :wave:

As a convert I struggled with all these issues, too. The thing of it is, many people use the Bible in ways it was never meant to be used. For example, as a proof text for this teaching or that. It was not meant for that, so understanding what it is and its place within Sacred Tradition might be helpful to you.

First of all the Bible is the Church’s book. It is the witness to God working through his people, his prophets, saints, apostles, etc. The Bible, as we have it, was given to us through the Church and would not/could not have existed without the Church.

A good resource for understanding what the Bible is: Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church by Rev. Henry G. Graham.

Catholic Answers has many great articles on every topic you mentioned and more.

If you want to ask about/discuss any particular issue, you should start a thread for each one. It makes the discussion easier if we stay on one topic at a time.

If we can help you in any way, please let us know. You have my prayers. :slight_smile:

Welcome Home. Sorry I can’t figure out the person you describe. Catholicism for Dummies is a handy book, much of it is available in little chunks online.

Some other sources that may be of help are:
The Catholic Come Home Site: catholicscomehome.org/
Or the Marcus Grodi website: chnetwork.org/information/marcus-grodi/

There are also Journey Home videos on YouTube which discuss some of the experiences people of different faith backgrounds have when they return or join the Catholic Church. Its entertaining but very informative.

Another person I enjoy is Father Robert Barron who has a lot of videos on YouTube explaining different aspects of Catholicism.

May God bless you on your journey of faith.

Good advice Della.

Ok well I guess I should start at the beginning. Let’s make this thread - Peter the Rock thread. Btw I’m not here to debate so don’t worry, only to learn.

Has anyone got thee definitive guide to Peter is the Rock and he was the first Pope in Rome? Preferably a vid or podcast, though I’m sure I can find some time to read. (I’ve got kids so it’s easier to listen, while I do other stuff.)

I’ve found a guy called Dr. Scott Hahn seems pretty good, what do you guys think?

So glad you are interested in returning to the Church. Just one little note. I hope you went to confession and made yourself right with the faith before you “consumed the Eucharist.” God Bless you are your quest.

Welcome home. Praying for and with you. God bless.

Nearly the same I tried all Church denominations in my town was nearly Baptised again! in Baptist Church before realising I was already baptised. Unfortunately I was not brought up to attend Church so started my enlightmentment first with JW first for a couple years or so before I found out they don’t believe in certain things such as Holy Trinity!!! And other strange stuff that was at odds with what I had read in the Bible, so then I tried all other churches … Anglican was closer to my needs it had Eucharist but I felt totally lost there partly because no one helped explain anything and I even took the Eucharist not knowing I had to ask for forgiveness, I next went to Baptist had a few months each when I walked into the Catholic Church It felt like I had returned to a place I knew even though it had been 40 years to discover it. I liked the structure and guidance I got and the first thing I did was say to the priest I want to be obedient the words came from somewhere I think it was the Holy Spirit talking. It is a struggle for me at times as I suffer from social Phobia but I feel at home here i pitched my tent for good now 4 years . I hope this is the same for you God Bless:thumbsup:

ps I still attend ecumenical services so get to see my old friends, from the other Christian Churches.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Ok well I guess I should start at the beginning. Let’s make this thread - Peter the Rock thread. Btw I’m not here to debate so don’t worry, only to learn.

Has anyone got thee definitive guide to Peter is the Rock and he was the first Pope in Rome? Preferably a vid or podcast, though I’m sure I can find some time to read. (I’ve got kids so it’s easier to listen, while I do other stuff.)

I couldn’t find any vids/podcasts doing a Google search, but I did find this by Patrick Madrid, a reliable Catholic apologist: Pope Fiction. The second part addresses Peter’s presence in Rome as the first pope.

I’ve found a guy called Dr. Scott Hahn seems pretty good, what do you guys think?

Yes, he’s very good. Anything he puts out is A-Okay. :thumbsup:

Lol thought someone might say that. As it happens I didn’t - opps. I repent of my sins daily to Christ. There’s many sins that I still battle. But it’s a process I guess.

I’m interested in returning to confession too of course and I know technically I’m not allowed the Eucharist without confession but I’m sorry I just couldn’t wait. I’m glad I did I missed it so.
There’s a change happening at my church at the moment. We’ve a temporary priest at the moment and we’re getting a new permanent priest tomorrow.

I don’t really want to talk about my deepest and darkest to a priest only for him to be off and have to tell it all again to a new priest next week. So it’s coming a little out of order I know but I’m getting there.

Apparently I missed something. Help me resolve these two inconsistent statements; I’m thinking of returning to the Catholic faith’ and ‘I’m convinced that Rome is pagan’. Why would you join any organization that you thought was pagan, left because you had been convinced it was unbiblical and think it is ‘still at odds’ with Scripture?

When I read your post I heard something akin to 'I’ve been thinking of becoming a pig. I was once a pig but left the pig pen because it stinks of manure. Pigs smell just like the pig pen, but I get good vibes ‘mucking’ around with pigs.

I’m confident you didn’t intend anything remotely close to this, so help me understand what was really intended.

JoeT

He said… I became convinced

Hmm well… thanks for the analogy Joe. A little course for my tastes but ok.

Well, hmm… spending time with Catholics online has convinced me that they are not 10 headed monsters or deeply mis/uninformed.

I made a mistake about a month ago with a poster I help spread on facebook - it said that the pope doesn’t believe in hell. Turns out it was a hoax. Got me thinking about what else I might be mistaken about.

I’ve always felt like someone away from home at other churches. Something spiritual hard to explain. I just want to come home. Better for everyone, family, friends, me.

Ok let me be honest and I’ll apologize for my analogy. Imagine being a black person at an all white church or visa versa. I live in Northern Ireland. If you are aware of the troubles here you might be more sympathetic of my issues. Sure everyone’s “really nice” but… well you know what I mean.

When I said - I believe/believed what I do; it’s not to be insulting just to be honest and so that you may know the extent of my problem. You can’t help to fix things if you don’t know what the problem is.
Many other things too Joe but it’s too long to explain. I’m a very complicated person. Let’s just leave it at that. I hope I answered your questions and minimised any suspicisions you may have?

If you’re thinking of returning to the Catholic Church, it’s probably the Holy Spirit leading you. As you follow His leading, you will begin to feel more comfortable and confident. It might be good to join an RCIA group if there’s one at your church. You mentioned Scott Hahn: yes, he’s very good and should help a lot.

It’s good that you have a background in the scriptures. The more you learn about the faith, the more you’ll find that the Church is not at odds with the scriptures, but follows them, upholds them and loves them. I am a convert to Catholicism, and thought the same as you. I am still growing in Catholicism, but it took a while, so don’t rush, but move forward and God will enlighten you and give you greater understanding.

Returning to Catholicism might be closer to being repatriated into a country you left and learned to distrust. The very sight of the old flag, for instance, might invoke both nostalgia and suspicion, if you see what I mean.

I believe what was missing from the other churches you tried was the Eucharist. I’ve felt that lack too when I’ve entered Protestant churches. God is so good to let us sense his presence/lack of it, something that has spurred many to return to the Church.

Letting go of a mind set in which the Church must be wrong about nearly everything won’t be easy, I know. I was terrified I was committing some kind of idolatry by attending Mass when I first started going to our local Catholic parish. Fortunately for me, I’d been brought up Episcopalian before we left the ECUSA for the Assemblies of God (a large Pentecostal sect). The Catholic Mass was familiar since the Episcopal service was based on it.

Give yourself time to re-immerse yourself back into the Catholic understanding of the issues you mentioned (and no doubt others). God is patient with us and understands how each one of us functions.

Lots of good feedback here. I’ll just add that you may enjoy Father Barron’s “Catholicism” series. Check out “word on fire”. Many parishes have the dvds.

If you have the option, visit many parishes as well. My parish is fairly “progressive” and I like that (female alter servers, very welcoming parishioners, lots of different ministries, respect for ecumenism among all faiths). After learning more about Catholicism, I appreciate Mass at any parish, but you’re bound to find one that grabs your heart.

God bless you on your journey!

Thanks Simca and Della. I think you are both correct and I’m very grateful for your understanding and not accusing and great advice. I’ve been guilty of creating much controversy against The Church, it’s nice to find that people are ready to forgive.

I’ve just received a detailed email from one of the members giving me a great list of resources. Thanks guys you’re all great. xoxo

I’ll still take any offers on Peter the Rock, first pope of Rome the definitive guide.

Because you are asking for suggestions, and ways to repair faulty thinking, what I’m going to say is in that spirit. I’m sure you’ve probably been told already, the Catholic faith IS the Christian faith. Protestants are a 100% manmade enterprise. They are christian providing they are properly baptised. But by the same token so was Pelagius, or Arias, or any of the great heretics of history. Definitionally, one can’t be a heretic unless they are validly baptised i.e. they are christian. Therefore, what you meant to say above is, you became interested in protestantism, having met evangelical protestants. Protestantism you might not know is one of ( The Great Heresies ) & schisms. The Catechism defines those terms 2089

Again for purposes of repairing false thinking, the Catholic Church doesn’t recognize protestants regardless of stripe, as a “church” or “churches”. And they wouldn’t have any of the scriptures if it wasn’t for the Catholic Church. As far as having Jesus? He is present body blood soul and divinity in the Eucharist, which no protestant has.

understood :wink:

Did you go to confession first before receiving the Eucharist? For purposes of the education you’re asking for, may I share the scripture that describes why missing mass deliberately is a mortal sin. And when in mortal sin, one needs to confess mortal sin to a priest before receiving the Eucharist.
[/FONT]http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10796857&postcount=17

confessing to a priest
catholic.com/video/confessing-sins-to-a-priest-a-biblical-defense

Scott Hahn perhaps?catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0151.html

I’m sure you’ll get tons of suggestions.

Re: youtube

Here’s a great one on Mary youtube.com/watch?v=xBGm5CnEJvU

Welcome home :slight_smile:

Agreed, maybe I was too colorful.

Well, hmm… spending time with Catholics online has convinced me that they are not 10 headed monsters or deeply mis/uninformed.

I made a mistake about a month ago with a poster I help spread on facebook - it said that the pope doesn’t believe in hell. Turns out it was a hoax. Got me thinking about what else I might be mistaken about.

My other nine heads and I agree, people do make mistakes. If we follow this 10-headed logic it means Catholic dunderheads have the potential to make 10 times as many mistakes as others. Yet somehow the Magisterium remains inerrant. I wonder why?

I’ve always felt like someone away from home at other churches. Something spiritual hard to explain. I just want to come home. Better for everyone, family, friends, me.

Ok let me be honest and I’ll apologize for my analogy. Imagine being a black person at an all white church or visa versa. I live in Northern Ireland. If you are aware of the troubles here you might be more sympathetic of my issues. Sure everyone’s “really nice” but… well you know what I mean.

Most people who are away from home feel like they are away from home - hey, maybe there is an obvious answer in this tidbit of logic.

I can feel sympathetic but I’m short, hairless and ugly in a world of tall dark and handsomely hairy headed people - and you want me to give advice about living in Ireland? And because of being ugly I should want to become Catholic? Using this philosophy; if I were awful ugly, would I want to become Southern Baptist? Thank God there’s more to it than that.

You’ve come to the realization that there is something different about the Catholic Church why not find out what makes it different and spiritual? Better still why not find out why she is part of the sole and infallible rule of faith? You should find the results to be firm ground on which to hammer out all the answers to your questions about the Church.

When I said - I believe/believed what I do; it’s not to be insulting just to be honest

You’ve misunderstood my comment, I wasn’t insulted - I don’t think anybody here was insulted, except maybe by my response. I was simply trying to come to an understanding - my response was a ‘colorful’ way of getting to the point. I think we achieved our goal.

and so that you may know the extent of my problem. You can’t help to fix things if you don’t know what the problem is.

Indeed, I do understand. I hate to admit it but it’s a problem we all must resolve at some point in our life. Very few of us are born surefooted in the one true faith. But, you’ve recognized the problem and it can be resolved. Let me suggest that you continue asking questions - but this time weigh the answers against an objective Truth.

Many other things too Joe but it’s too long to explain. I’m a very complicated person. Let’s just leave it at that. I hope I answered your questions and minimized suspicions you may have?

To be complicated must be a heavy burden; I wouldn’t know. I’ve never had a problem, not one I’ll admit to. Life is just apple pie and ice cream - the trick is getting there before some jerk eats it all!

Let me suggest a book, “Catholicism For Dummies” By Rev. John Trigilio, Jr., Rev. Kenneth Brighenti. Or, go to your local parish. If the pastor is worth his salt he’ll find a way to get you the answers you need. If you’re a do-it-yourselfer you can always go to the online Catechism of the Catholic Church. scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

JoeT

If this isn’t the best one, it can’t be far behind:
Upon This Rock: St. Peter and the Primacy of Rome in Scripture and the Early Church

A personal hero of mine.
And one of the main reasons I remained, reverted, whatever (I was a cradle-Catholic who was Catholic in name only for a number of years whilst in reality a pseudo-pagan then pseudo-Protestant), a Catholic.

THAT problem is fixable. I speak from experience.

I just attended mass on Sunday for the first time in many many years and consumed the Eucharist.

No mention of the sacrament of Reconciliation?
You might not think so now, but one day, if you keep your studies, you’ll realize that it’s necessary to be properly disposed to receive Christ in the Eucharist. So, trust me and refrain from doing this until you DO go to Reconciliation. And when you do, you’ll need to confess this (receiving without being reconciled), too.

Since you like Scott Hahn, and seem to have many of the “usual objections,” might I suggest his Answering Common Objections - 6-CD Set.
You can also get it through St. Joseph Communications in an .mp3 format so you can save money and start listening to it right away!

Oh, and Welcome Home! :hug1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.