Returning to Catholicism (and) Declaring allegiance

Hello Asiyreh,

I tried to answer to your private message, but it said that your inbox or your quota was full.

I can’t send you my message because of that.

Try this site…catholic-convert.com/resources/audio-video-clips/

Look for Peter and the papacy…episode date…10/3/2011.

podfeed.net/episode/EWTN+The+Journey+Home±+1032011/3172813

catholicview.wordpress.com/resources-for-catholics-and-other-inquiring-minds/free-catholic-audio/

Ok thanks Steve and Joe for the “lessons.” I probably need them, and no doubt deserve them. I’m going to have a look through some of the documents on Peter everyone else has linked and try to see if I can realise the truth they’re expressing.

In my uneducated state, as things stand in the moment. I have to wonder however if we’re not guilty of a certain type of Jewish mentality present in the time of Christ. A mentality possessed by those that sat in the judgement seat of Moses. I’m thinking Mark 7, that type of thing.
I think no matter the outcome of my studies I will remain ever more concerned about how I conduct myself, that is; in a Spirit of goodwill, humility and charity, rather than the legalities of a given situation.

This Church is home for me, I feel directed toward discovering the Truth of the Covenant with Peter and that is what I intend to do. I will take on board the need to be reunited with the Church in this sacrament of reconciliation. I hadn’t realised such a thing existed. I need to speak with the priest as someone else suggested, this is a wise course of action. Had circumstances within my parish been different I would have already done this.

Thanks guys for all the great information.

As you read, pray for enlightenment. It is the Holy Spirit who makes things clear to us if we have open hearts and minds to listen. :slight_smile:

In my uneducated state, as things stand in the moment. I have to wonder however if we’re not guilty of a certain type of Jewish mentality present in the time of Christ. A mentality possessed by those that sat in the judgement seat of Moses. I’m thinking Mark 7, that type of thing.

In giving his authority to his Apostles Jesus expressly forbade them from being like the Pharisees and Saddusees who lorded it over others and picked at minor things in order to make themselves greater and others lesser. That is not the purpose of authority–it is to guide and to correct, not to make oneself greater than others. The title of the Bishop of Rome is “The Servant of the Servants of God.” This is why since Pope Paul VI, who got rid of a lot of the unnecessary pomp, so dear to Roman hearts, the popes have been more accessible to the faithful, making them more the shepherd of all the faithful throughout the world and less of a Roman potentate. Such accretions happen, but the men involved didn’t necessarily have the attitude that they deserved such grandeur and such fuss. Most of the popes have lived and taught that a pure heart, one filled with love is what is important in living the Christian life.

I think no matter the outcome of my studies I will remain ever more concerned about how I conduct myself, that is; in a Spirit of goodwill, humility and charity, rather than the legalities of a given situation.

Yes. Things like canon law are in place only when needed. Most Catholics live their entire lives without ever thinking about such matters because they are about how the Church is governed, not how ordinary people conduct their lives on a daily basis.

This Church is home for me, I feel directed toward discovering the Truth of the Covenant with Peter and that is what I intend to do. I will take on board the need to be reunited with the Church in this sacrament of reconciliation. I hadn’t realised such a thing existed. I need to speak with the priest as someone else suggested, this is a wise course of action. Had circumstances within my parish been different I would have already done this.

This too is all to the good. Not all parishes are as concerned with these things as they ought to be. Besides this, those presenting themselves for communion are presumed to be properly disposed to receive it. There are no confessions in the communion line. :wink: The priest, deacon, or the EMHCs aren’t going to ask if you’ve been to confession–that’s not the time or place for asking that. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for all the great information.

:tiphat:

Just as a general comment. Pharisees were criticised by Jesus for being hypocrits, blind guides, whitewashed tombs. Hopefully you won’t find that here. :slight_smile:

charity (love of God and neighbor )is passing on faithfully, the faith that has been received from the apostles and sacred tradition…

Welcome home! :signofcross:

You might like some of the videos by Michael Cumbie. He is a former Southern Baptist preacher who converted to Catholicism. You can start checking them out here

I also would suggest John Martignoni’s website The Bible Christian Society. He has lots of resources you can read or listen to. His approach generally is geared towards protestants because he explains Catholic beliefs for the most part using just scripture (as opposed to Church councils, early church fathers, etc.).

Welcome home!!!

I was going to comment on a few things, but it seems that many people already touched on them, so … for the sake of brevity, here are 2 books I would TOTALLY recommend to you.

1. Rome Sweet Home by Dr Scott and Kimberly Hahn: A great book regarding a Protestant Minister and his wife’s journey to Catholicism. He used to believe Catholics were just as “horrible” as you portrayed and felt he needed to save all of them. During his extensive study and devotion to scripture, he found that the Catholic Church is the one True Church.

2. Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly: A fantastic book that really details why Catholics “do what we do,” “believe what we believe,” etc.

Good luck on your journey! It does seem like the Holy Spirit is truly guiding you down this road. Listen to what God is telling you and pray about it! :slight_smile: There is such power in prayer. Ask God to direct you.

A prayer for you on your journey…

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

May our Blessed Mother lead you to her son, Jesus!

Considering that you trying to understand Catholicism again, having spent time with Protestants I do think that Scott Hahn is a great resource. He addresses all the usual things Protestants misunderstand about Catholics since he struggled with them too on his way to becoming Catholic.

I really think you should read the Catechism of the Catholic Church too.

Also Catholic Answers own Karl Keating’s Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians” and Steve Ray’s audio: Difference in Protestants and Catholics. Youtube has several other videos featured on the same page you might want to look at. And Steve Ray has written several books about Catholicism and has a DVD series: Footprints of God.

The man you were referencing earlier might be Tim Staples (an apologist with Catholic Answers).

Here is a link to several videos on Peter that might help some.
youtube.com/watch?v=g5VSv1LsAmg&list=PL1F9A2EE4A68DF1E0

As to Peter being in Rome, I would take his own word for it.

1 Peter 5:12 I write you this briefly through Silvanus, whom I consider a faithful brother, exhorting you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Remain firm in it. 13 The* chosen one at Babylon sends you greeting**, as does Mark, my son. 14 Greet one another with a loving kiss. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.*

Babylon was code among Christians in the first century for Rome.

catholic.com/quickquestions/the-bible-says-that-peter-wasnt-in-rome-so-how-could-he-be-its-first-bishop

Hi guys. Again I can’t thank you all enough for the great resources. It’s such a joy to be home I really do feel like the prodigal son.

Bit of an update on my situation…

Ok so I was telling you there’s a few changes happening in my Parish. I didn’t want to bother the priest while he does the handover, so I decided to head back to my childhood parish and attend the confessions there -The Long Tower church; beautiful little chapel btw if anyones ever visiting.

panoramio.com/photo/4335965

Isn’t it nice?

So I decided it was best to talk to the priest face to face. I told him about my wayward adventure, about how I left the faith and attacked her and about how I was even baptised.
I expected this to be a really bad thing, we would need to do some special remedy, but the priest simply told me it didn’t affect my original baptism. It was still binding and valid no matter what this other baptism claimed.

Btw I quite liked my other baptism. It’s a pity we don’t do this more. I think someone once told me you can have it on request?

Anyways sorry I digress. So I told him about you guys, he didn’t say much but smiled and nodded in an approving manner.
Things seem to be wrapping up and he hadn’t mentioned this sacrament of reconciliation.
Lol I’m such a gack, when I read this topic yesterday I imagined that I had activated the need for some special sacrifice, only reserved for people like me who had joined another church.
Think about it - the sacrament of reconciliation…
Imagine my embarrassment when he told me we were having it.
I’ve never heard it called that before, it’s always just confession…

Well I was red in the face I can tell you, but the embarrassment wasn’t over yet. In an effort to recover from this momentary stupidity, I began to tell the priest about my knowledge of scripture, how much I had done and our repertoire together seemed to grow as he nodded approval, I smiled back, things were going great, seeming to build together toward a great climax as he lifted his hand in the air and I almost high fived him…

No seriously… I wanted to die, on the spot, I realised half way through that he was lifting his hand in the act of absolution. I buried my head on the table and hid my face as best as I could…

I always wondered if God had a sense of humour, I had my questions answered tonight. I wanted the ground to open and swallow me.

Seriously I could kick myself…

Anyways it was great I stayed on after and attended mass and had my first legal communion. Very happy…love being home.

Well done!

I always wondered if God had a sense of humour,

I’d bet my bottom dollar.

JoeT

And we love having you home.
:thumbsup:
I think it’s sometimes better, and produces a stronger Christian, to have explored alternatives. I know it worked that way in my case.

Not that I’d recommend it, but God always takes things meant for evil and produces good out of 'em (Genesis 50:20, for instance, and the ultimate evil - the killing of the Son - creating the ultimate good).

Nice? It’s glorious! Sigh, my parish is one of those American monstrosities designed more as an homage to brick and steel than in homage of God, I swear. We do have some beautiful stained glass windows, but other than that, it’s pretty blah. How I envy you–now I need to go to reconciliation. :stuck_out_tongue:

So I decided it was best to talk to the priest face to face. I told him about my wayward adventure, about how I left the faith and attacked her and about how I was even baptised.
I expected this to be a really bad thing, we would need to do some special remedy, but the priest simply told me it didn’t affect my original baptism. It was still binding and valid no matter what this other baptism claimed.

Father has heard it all before. Many people have done the same thing–explored other Christian groups in the hopes of finding something better and getting re-baptized, as if it does something more than your original baptism. So, he wasn’t surprised or shocked. No doubt he’s heard far worse than someone trying to find a way to be closer to God. :slight_smile:

Btw I quite liked my other baptism. It’s a pity we don’t do this more. I think someone once told me you can have it on request?

Every time we enter the church for Mass and dip our fingers into the holy water we are renewing our baptismal vows, which is why we do it. So, the Church does provide this grace for us.

Anyways sorry I digress. So I told him about you guys, he didn’t say much but smiled and nodded in an approving manner.
Things seem to be wrapping up and he hadn’t mentioned this sacrament of reconciliation.
Lol I’m such a gack, when I read this topic yesterday I imagined that I had activated the need for some special sacrifice, only reserved for people like me who had joined another church.
Think about it - the sacrament of reconciliation…
Imagine my embarrassment when he told me we were having it.
I’ve never heard it called that before, it’s always just confession…

How were you to know that the rite has been renamed reconciliation? Don’t be embarrassed. I only wish we had clarified that for you. :blush:

Well I was red in the face I can tell you, but the embarrassment wasn’t over yet. In an effort to recover from this momentary stupidity, I began to tell the priest about my knowledge of scripture, how much I had done and our repertoire together seemed to grow as he nodded approval, I smiled back, things were going great, seeming to build together toward a great climax as he lifted his hand in the air and I almost high fived him…

No seriously… I wanted to die, on the spot, I realised half way through that he was lifting his hand in the act of absolution. I buried my head on the table and hid my face as best as I could…

I always wondered if God had a sense of humour, I had my questions answered tonight. I wanted the ground to open and swallow me.

Seriously I could kick myself…

:rotfl: How cute and funny! It’s fine. No harm done. A simple social faux pas isn’t going to land you in hell. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways it was great I stayed on after and attended mass and had my first legal communion. Very happy…love being home.

Welcome back home–fully back home! The angels and saints in heaven are rejoicing and we’re pretty darned happy too. :smiley: God bless you and keep you as the apple of his eye.

Better than that. It’s outstanding !!! :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I wrote that last night, still in a state mixed with overwhelming joy but also embarrassment. Which is quite a novel experience. One to tell the grandkids no doubt. I did however worry before I slept that it mightn’t be received well, so thanks again. :thumbsup:

Ok so let’s see. Definitely agree on the being a stronger Christian, Fatherknows. Especially over here. Catholicism here is very different. Traditionally there’s little in the way of bible study. Because of the war between Catholics and Protestants, the bible has become almost an object of hate among some “catholics.” I think when I look back on my life this might have been God’s way through my rebellion, as you so wisely point out; of sending me to bible school. :slight_smile:
I’ve always believed in God but these days, after my study into scripture and everywhere that takes you… science philosophy etc… I’m like boom… no doubt. Not even a smiggen. Which is also I’ve just realised, like really bad for me because, there is a purgatory. Am in for a bit of a stretch. Luke 12:47-48 Opps

How do we look at that btw, isn’t it like a type of hell?

That’s bad…

Sorry where was I. Oh yeh Della, that’s beautiful about the Rebaptism in the Holy Water.
I must make this an object of study again too. There’s something stuck in my head about a Catholic Bishop or possibly Cardinal saying that Holy water has pagan origins. Possibly protestant overreactionist propaganda again.

Oh on that subject I’ve been learning lots of new great stuff, over the past few days.

With Our Lady. About the office of The Queen Mother in the Davidic kingdom. And it almost broke me in two when the apologist referred to John 19:27 Behold thy Mother. I was like ahhhhh! Think my heart stopped for a second.

Oh and the keys. With the female and male versions of the Rock. And how it was Aramaic anyways. I don’t know why I didn’t see this before… which is interesting (for myself). Hmmm…?

What else, the bible, the bible… it’s interesting hearing the bible being chained to the post from the Catholic perspective. Lol I suppose it would be like putting a big bar of Gold out. 1000 animals to make one bible. Darn.

Btw what bible do you guys like? Hopefully there’s more assent among Catholics than in the Christian forums and that question doesn’t start a flame war.

I’m going for Papal succession next. I want to get Peter building the church in Rome. Then as much evidence for the early years of succession. I’ve already looked at some. I do love a good podcast though???

Oh and another question for any of the theology buffs out there. This was something haunting me last night, before I listened to the apologetic on Our Lady.
The title Lord. Or Jesus is Lord is one of divinity. kurios: lord. Used if memory serves to denote God in the Old Testament. When we say Our Lady what exactly do we mean?

Thanks guys for all the great comments,information and liking my wee church, she’s a beauty.

Consider the following

Yes, Antioch is the first place disciples were called “christian” [Acts 11]

however 2 chapters earlier (all links operational)

Acts 9:31 So the church throughout all [/FONT] , [/FONT] , [/FONT] , [/FONT] , Judea and Galilee and Sama’ria…"

iow the Church [/FONT] , [/FONT]] throughout all [/FONT]kata [/FONT]holos] = the Kataholos Church = Catholic Church. The English word catholic is a transliteration of the Greek katholikos which is a compound word from kata, which means according to, and holos, which means whole. [/FONT]
[LIST]
*]St Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop from ~69 a.d. - ~107 a.d., ordained by apostles, disciple of St John the apostle, called the Church the Catholic Church [/FONT] of which schismatics won’t be going to heaven [/FONT]
*]St Polycarp, Bp Smyrna, disciple of St John called the Church the “Catholic Church” [/FONT]
*]Muratorian canon [/FONT]
*]Irenaeus ~180 a.d. wrote “Against Heresies” called the Church the “Catholic Church” [/FONT] Bk 1 Ch 10 v 3], and also Irenaeus who was taught by Polycarp, teaches all must agree with Rome [Bk 3, Ch 3, v 2-3][/FONT] Note: Irenaeus names 12 successors to Peter down to his day.
*]Cyprian~250 a.d. [/FONT]
*]The Nicene Creed, 325 a.d., it’s a matter of faith to believe in the “One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church”
*]Augustine ~395 There are many other things that most justly keep me in her * bosom. . . . The succession of priests keeps me, beginning from the very seat of the Apostle Peter, to whom the Lord, after His resurrection, gave it in charge to feed His sheep, down to the present episcopate. And so, lastly, does the name itself of Catholic, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger asks where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house.[/FONT] (ch 5 v6)
*]etc etc etc
[/LIST]The same Church Pope Francis is over today, 266th successor to St Peter.

As an aside, Ignatius uses Christian in ch 2 & the Catholic Church ch 8 interchangably in his letter to the Smyrneans. That means both terms are used during apostolic times, since Ignatius was ordained by apostles and was a direct disciple of John. Ignatius isn’t going to call himself a Catholic and John not do the same. iow, one wouldn’t say. Ignatius belongs to the Catholic Church and John doesn’t. *

Ahhh, get over it. :wink:
Seriously, nothing to be embarrassed about. But I understand; I dwell on those types of things too much myself. We’ve both got to realize that people don’t think as much about us as we do. Scott Hahn often quotes his friend Dion DiMucci: “I may not be much, but I’m all I think about” or something like that.

Ok so let’s see. Definitely agree on the being a stronger Christian, Fatherknows.

Just a clarification: It’s Fathers Know Best. As in the Early Church Fathers. My introduction to their writings is what clinched it for me and confirmed the Catholic faith.

And, Jimmy Akin picked that as the name for his book on the Early Church Fathers. Great book, BTW. But I think I picked my name before he picked that title, although I can’t be sure.

Especially over here. Catholicism here is very different. Traditionally there’s little in the way of bible study.

Hmmm … I think I hear a volunteer to start one. :wink:
This is the one I use, and have been for a decade (since it began).

Which is also I’ve just realised, like really bad for me because, there is a purgatory. Am in for a bit of a stretch. Luke 12:47-48 Opps

How do we look at that btw, isn’t it like a type of hell?

Huge subject, for another time. But, no matter what, if you’re in purgatory, you’re definitely going to be in Heaven, so it’s all good.

Btw what bible do you guys like? Hopefully there’s more assent among Catholics than in the Christian forums and that question doesn’t start a flame war.

Lots of threads on that here. My advice is get the Ignatius NT Study Bible for the New Testament. They are producing OT books at a trickle, individually. You can get a non-study version, but the notes are what sets it apart. The Navarre Bible series is also great, but will set you back a few $$ since you need to buy 7 volumes to cover the OT.

I’m going for Papal succession next. I want to get Peter building the church in Rome. Then as much evidence for the early years of succession. I’ve already looked at some. I do love a good podcast though???

One book that I found very interesting was One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic by Ken Whitehead. If you can get through the first half of this scholarly book, the conclusions in the second half are enlightening.

Check out Pat Madrid’s Pope Fiction, too.
He does have a series of podcasts on this, too.

Welcome! (I apologize if someone already mentioned this and I glossed over it.) I don’t know if you’ve watched any of EWTN’s Journey Home series, but you might find them helpful. I have learned so much from them! I know they have a few spotlighting Ireland.

EWTN’s Youtube Channel: The Journey Home

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.