Returning to the Church

I'll share a little back story(currently I'm in my late 30's now).

I was raised by a cultural Catholic mother, who has been non practicing now for 30 years. I'm not sure if my father has a religion, I don't have any memory of him going to church beyond a couple Easter or Christmas services.

I went to a Catholic school, yet looking back, it wasn't very good as I know little about the Catholic Faith, and religion class was the first to be cut out in favor of something else.

I was baptized, first communion, confirmation.

In the mid 80's as a young teen, the sad news broke about the clergy sexual abuse :(
I made the decision to leave the church, as a victim of sexual abuse, I took a stand against the church that was rigid. I even changed schools to a secular school. I didn't look back for a long long time.

There have been ups and downs in my life. I have been struggling with faith. In my mid-late teens I didn't even know if I believed there was a God.

In my early 20's I went seeking God while expecting my first child. I went to the Anglican church, I spent some time there, my first and second born were baptized. But my husband isn't a church goer so I fell way from that. When we had our 3rd, we both explored a Pentacostal church. Met some lovely people, learned plenty, but it never felt right to me. I stopped going, therefore dh did too.

The last couple years, I've really felt the call to church. Last spring, I started homeschooling 2 of the children due to a crisis. They had been in Catholic school(again, apparently not a good one as my 10yo was assaulted by 3 classmates with a teacher present).

It was important that I continue teaching them about God. I had always had the view that they could decide on denomination when they got older. Dh is completely fine with them learning and encourages it. So that spring(just a year ago) a greater need in me started.

I did go back to an Anglican Church, and it didn't feel right :( So I sat in quandry. I attended a homeschool conference locally, the speakers were Baptist, and I knew this ahead of time so there were views I wouldn't share, but they had some valid HOMESCHOOL information that I wanted to hear. I stayed for other talks, and had a :idea: moment.

In my journeys through various churches, I was learning more than I thought. I was learning where I didn't fit in, what I didn't want. One thing that bothered me, is some Protestants don't feel Catholics are Christian:eek: Not all, but some :( Yet Catholics believe the baptized are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

There has been conflict in the homeschool community about teh book of Genesis, is it a new earth, literal reading of Genesis, or old Earth, mystical reading of Genesis. And I sat there going.... :shrug: It was peculiar to me as I don't remember this discussion ever in my life, and it is causing major discord. So I started to do research. I did a search on Catholic POV of creation/evolution/old/new earth.

I was surprised :thumbsup: the POV offered was acceptable and made logical sense. (a seed was planted):newidea: Things I didn't know about.

Then some one posted about having a faith crisis. In reading it, several links had been shared, mostly Catholic, which is surprising as on this particular board, the Catholics keep quiet on the boards, but reach out in private messages. this thread really reached out and really spoke to me.

Those videos were timely(all were priests speaking).

As I looked back with "mature" eyes at the scandal of the 80's was that of man; yes, it was mismanaged by the hierarchy of the church, yes it was very very wrong, but the fault wasn't that of Jesus or God or the bible or Catholicism, but that of the humans, the fact remains we are all sinners, even those in the clergy. Does it make what happened right? Nope, no way no how, wrong is wrong, but it isn't the Faith, it was those directly involved.

With that revelation, the following Sunday I was at my first Mass(other than funerals) in over 20 years. While it wasn't comfortable, it was comforting to be there. It felt right. For all my searching for the 'right' church, it ended up being what I had been avoiding all along.

So here I am, trying to set everything right. Feeling very excited, scared, trepidations, elated, tentative..... a whole cacophony of things.

Welcome home! :extrahappy:

[quote="cominghomeCC, post:1, topic:235289"]
As I looked back with "mature" eyes at the scandal of the 80's was that of man; yes, it was mismanaged by the hierarchy of the church, yes it was very very wrong, but the fault wasn't that of Jesus or God or the bible or Catholicism, but that of the humans, the fact remains we are all sinners, even those in the clergy. Does it make what happened right? Nope, no way no how, wrong is wrong, but it isn't the Faith, it was those directly involved.

With that revelation, the following Sunday I was at my first Mass(other than funerals) in over 20 years. While it wasn't comfortable, it was comforting to be there. It felt right. For all my searching for the 'right' church, it ended up being what I had been avoiding all along.

So here I am, trying to set everything right. Feeling very excited, scared, trepidations, elated, tentative..... a whole cacophony of things.

[/quote]

How wonderful is the Holy Spirit to have revealed all these things to your heart. :)

I'm glad you found CAF -- this is a wonderful community of people willing to share knowledge, support, and prayer for others. I would definitely suggest seeking out a priest too and receiving the sacrament of reconcilliation. It is a wonderful, cleansing sacrament that will bring you back into the fullness of the Church and strengthen you on your journey. Then you'll be able to receive Holy Communion, which will also bring great graces to your life.

Offering a prayer for you and your family! :hug1:

to coming homeCC:

WELCOME BACK!!! I left in my teen years too…although I never ended up being confirmed. Last year at ash Wed I started my journey back…and this Easter I will be confirmed and my husband will be confirmed and receive his first Holy Communion.

It’s the best decision I have EVER made:thumbsup:

:flowers:

So happy for you, I'm a revert as well. I stayed away for 15 plus years and am so happy to be back.

Count me in the revert category too! I was away for 20+ years, came back during my first pregnancy (20 years ago). Of course God had never left ME, I just turned my face from Him. And my faith returned at the same time. I still have a lot of catching up to do, but this forum and EWTN have already helped my formation a TON!

Welcome home, dear sister in Christ!

(So glad you didn't go Pentacostal - I have heard things from the inside of that "cult" (and I use that term advisedly) that would turn your hair white!) :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.