Rev. Billy Graham's Daughter Facing Domestic Violence Charges

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. – The Reverend Billy Graham’s daughter faces domestic violence charges after police say she tried to choke her husband in a New Smyrna Beach parking lot. It all happened along a stretch of State Road 44.

According to police, Graham and her husband were having an argument. They pulled off the side of the road and that’s when things got physical.

According to the police report, Victoria Graham’s husband, Chad Foreman, got out of the car and started to walk away. But witnesses said the evangelist’s daughter would not let him get away. At least four people said they saw Graham grab her husband by the throat and begin to choke him.

Graham’s husband was able to break free from the chokehold. Witnesses say he then ran across a K-Mart parking lot and tried to hide behind a furniture truck. According to the police report, Graham pursued her husband into the parking lot with her car.

Police arrived on the scene and arrested Graham for domestic battery.

Graham has followed in her famous father’s footsteps as a speaker and author. Channel 9 tried to contact her at her DeLeon Springs home, but neither her nor her husband were at home.

The Billy Graham Evangelical Association did release the following statement: “They regret the recent report of an alleged altercation involving Victoria … Unfortunately at this time we do not have details which would enable us to comment further.”

Graham was released on her own recognizance from the Volusia County jail. Her husband stated to police that he does not intend to press charges.

wftv.com/news/4696004/detail.html

Question: Should a woman be arrested for this? I vote no. There should be a double standard.

There should be no double standard. :tsktsk: A woman should be arrested the same as a man for domestic violence. (I realize that you were being tongue in cheek)

This is very sad. Despite his apparent support for the Clintons, I like Billy Graham. It seems like a lot for such an old man to take. :frowning:

This is a news report dealing with some of the personal problems on one individual and, in my opinion, should not be a subject of discussion on this forum.

[quote=geezerbob]This is a news report dealing with some of the personal problems on one individual and, in my opinion, should not be a subject of discussion on this forum.
[/quote]

ditto

[quote=geezerbob]This is a news report dealing with some of the personal problems on one individual and, in my opinion, should not be a subject of discussion on this forum.
[/quote]

I totally agree. This is a subject for prayer. Period.
God bless.

[/quote]

For once in my long and totally contrary way, I fully agree.

JN 8: 1-8

[quote=walstan]For once in my long and totally contrary way, I fully agree.

JN 8: 1-8
[/quote]

I disagree. Having an argument in public is one thing. Attempting to choke someone is another thing. The clue for abuse is this: the unwillingness of the wife to de-escalate. The husband made a decision that the argument was getting too heated to be safe. He de-escalated by attempting to withdraw. The wife escalated by following him and attempting to trap him. Anybody with any sense in their head knows that this is not the safe thing to do. If things get to this point, particularly on a repetitive basis, then a responsible person has to assume that the situation is out of control because the person him/herself is out of control. This is a control issue. The husband and wife in this case would do well to get-a-life, preferably their own lives. Some people are not cut out to be married.

[quote=deb1]There should be no double standard. :tsktsk: A woman should be arrested the same as a man for domestic violence. (I realize that you were being tongue in cheek)
[/quote]

Promise not to hit me? I do believe in a double standard.

Sorta.

I do not like the Zero Tolerance Policy. Prefer police be given some discretion. If a woman gets in a car and tries to chase her husband down, well, clearly she should be charged. But I don’t like it when, usually out of frustration, a woman hits a guy and is arrested even if the guy doesn’t want her to be.

Do think men should automatically be charged.

Can I justify any of this by citing law or anything else?

No.

As a former social worker I must say that I have seen the results of many assaults on the husband. These men are afraid and/or ashamed to report it. Many of the men did not want others to know and refused to hit back.

I also agree with the others that this is not proper to discuss as it singles out one person specifically. Let us pray for her conversion to the True Faith.

[quote=KathleenElsie]I also agree with the others that this is not proper to discuss as it singles out one person specifically. Let us pray for her conversion to the True Faith.
[/quote]

As a social worker you should know better than to promote secrecy. How is this woman or this man supposed to be stimulated to get help or to stop abusing if people like you keep the lid on their activities? One of the modus operandi of abusers is to cut their victims off from communication with the outside world. The woman is singled out because she herself singly attempted to choke her husband. No one helped her. She was not, to my knowledge, a member of a husband-choking cartel. She is singled out because she singly is responsible for her violent behaviour. Pray that justice be done.

Has the sin of calumny and detraction been abolished or does it not apply to this forum?

[quote=maklavan]Has the sin of calumny and detraction been abolished or does it not apply to this forum?
[/quote]

Rhetorical question. Make your point.

Sorry this forum and/or discussion is not the place to “AIR” the domestic violence accusation of others.
These people would never have been written about except for whom the woman’s father is.

When it goes public and physical contact is involved someone needs to go to jail so the situation can be defused…regardless if one spouse doesnt wanna chrage the other. To let both go home together could lead to further violence…

This is already public, can’t this be discussed without incurring the sin of detraction or calumny? There may some lurkers who have to deal with this situation and our discussion may assist in that person getting help.
I agree though that if this discussion does get into a sinful nature, it should be pulled. IMHO the discussion thus far hasn’t breached any ethical lines. (I could be wrong!!)
Now here’s an example of detraction IMO:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=63629
This kind of stuff (I heard it from a friend of a friend) makes me uncomfortable, discussion most prob. though started with good intentions.

[quote=Jennifer123]This is already public, can’t this be discussed without incurring the sin of detraction or calumny? There may some lurkers who have to deal with this situation and our discussion may assist in that person getting help.
[/quote]

Appreciate your comments because I’ve been having regrets about posting this. The sins you mention were my first concern and I did think it over. Decided to take go aheads and post it for two reasons:

1. This is exactly the type of event those hostile to Christianity will jump all over. Figured we might as well see it here first.

2. As I mentioned, I am not a fan of Zero Tolerance. Yes, if there is evidence of serious abuse, if a man abuses a woman, there should be charges no matter what the spouse wants. But in the case of a woman who loses it and assaults a guy without doing any real injury and in which the guy doesn’t want to press charges I believe the police should have the discretion not to file charges.

But I still have doubts. Perhaps this thread should be pulled. Especially if it degenerates into the sins you mention. Just wanted to clarify my intent in posting it.

[quote=KathleenElsie]Sorry this forum and/or discussion is not the place to “AIR” the domestic violence accusation of others.
These people would never have been written about except for whom the woman’s father is.
[/quote]

Your unsubstantiated OPINION. Your appeal to the authority of being a social worker has exactly the following effect on me: none whatsoever. May I remind you of your professional ethics and your legal responsibilities as a social worker: they are not to cover up violence.

The police pressed charges. Therefore it is in the public domain. Lucky for the people involved that their father is a celebrity. That might speed up the process of getting help.

Domestic violence is a terminal illness: people regularly die from it. Not only people but their children. It is, where children are involved, also child abuse. Assault is a crime.

Another poster pointed out that people in similar circumstances may be lurking on this thread. If someone is hurting you, lurkers, get help. God did not make you to be a punching bag. Get a life, preferably your own. It is easy to stay in an abusive relationship because it is easy to feel superior to a complete raving lunatic who regularly goes up the side of your head. It is much more difficult to compete out here in society and gain a reputation for being a reasonable, functioning adult.

[quote=David_Paul]Yes, if there is evidence of serious abuse
[/quote]

Serious abuse?

[quote=David_Paul]if a man abuses a woman, there should be charges no matter what the spouse wants.
[/quote]

David, with all due respect, I suspect that you have almost zero understanding of what constitutes ‘abuse.’ Yes, certainly assault is one manifestation. There are many more.

Appropriation of funds, isolation from family friends doctors lawyers, lock-ups, mock execution, withholding of food clothing sleep, verbal humiliation, drugging, forcible prostitution and the sorry list goes on.

Usually physical abuse is the tip of the iceberg. Skilled abusers do not resort to physical abuse so as not to tip off the neighbours by means of repetitive visible bruises or broken bones.

I agree that, if posters insist on opining without recourse to references, then the thread should be pulled. Unsubstantiated opinion on this particular subject directly misleads those who may be in vulnerable situations and therefore endangers their safety.

**“Real injury” does not matter. This very may well be a first-time incident, but clearly, she needs help. If she’s allowed to get away with it now, who says that she won’t do it again in the future. This could be a wake-up call from God that she needs to make some changes in her life. And, quite often, the man or the woman doesn’t want to press charges, even if they have been beaten to a pulp because they are embarrassed or afraid. **

Notice:

This thread is closed. Thanks to all who participated in the discussion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.