Revelation 10:8-11

I’m really confused what this is about. I know it is the judgement of God upon the godless but I’m confused what this means. Does anyone know?

Can you quote it and the passages before and after it

Did you know that 3 times in the bible it mentions eating a scroll or a book

“Then the voice which I heard from heaven spoke to me again and said, “Go, take the little book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the earth.” So I went to the angel and said to him, “Give me the little book.” And he said to me, “Take and eat it; and it will make your stomach bitter, but it will be as sweet as honey in your mouth.” Then I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. But when I had eaten it, my stomach became bitter. And he said to me, “You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, tongues, and kings“

God wanted him to digest the message of the book so that it would change him personally.

Some messages from God are nice for others but hard on those who proclaim them, while others make the hearers uncomfortable but are not hard on those who proclaim them.

Or they may be good news at the moment but have bitter things coming next, versus those things which are initially bitter but lead up to sweet consequences.

Either way, the concept of digestion as standing for study and meditation on the Scriptures is pretty accepted and famous.

Reading the relevant passage of Ezekiel about eating scrolls will help you digest this passage.

From my Ignatius Bible…

Chapter 10 is an interlude that separates the sixth (9:13-21) and seventh (11:15-19) trumpet, just as an interlude separated the sixth and seventh seal (7:1-17). This sets in motion the second half of the book by renewing the commission to John, charged at the beginning of the book with writing down the prophetic visions (1:11), to prophesy “again”(10:11).

Verses 9 and 10 are a renewal of John’s prophetic mission to speak the word of God (verse 11). The message he receives is sweet because it promises hope but turns sour because it entails suffering for saints and sinners alike. The scene is modeled on Ezek. 2:8-3:3, where the prophet consumed a scroll inscribed with judgments against Israel. At first the scroll was sweet (Ezek. 3:3), but its words of lamentation and woe made his task a bitter one (Ezek 3:14)

Verse 11 is telling John that he is to prophesy what is recorded in the visions of Chapters 11-22.

Hope this helps,

God Bless

@mr.p

Revelation 10:8-11 Then the voice that I had heard from heaven spoke to me again, saying, “Go, take the scroll that is open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.”

Scroll is the word of god Ezekiel 3:3 3 He said to me, Mortal, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it; and in my mouth it was as sweet as honey.

9 So I went to the angel and told him to give me the little scroll; and he said to me, “Take it, and eat; it will be bitter to your stomach, but sweet as honey in your mouth.” 10 So I took the little scroll from the hand of the angel and ate it; it was sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter.11 Then they said to me, “You must prophesy again about many peoples and nations and languages and kings.”

the word of god is like honey Psalm 119:103 103 How sweet are your words to my taste,sweeter than honey to my mouth!

when we listen to the word of god we all like it and feel like great joy like receiving honey Luke 8:13 The ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe only for a while and in a time of testing fall away

But when we practice the word of god and follow the Jesus ,it becomes bitter in our stomachs when we face trials temptations and for the sack of Jesus name .2 Timothy 3:12 12 Indeed, all who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.

Facepalm I read 9:8-11 yesterday when the reading was 10:8-11!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.