Revelation 12

Can anyone point me to any good explanations on this line.

6 while the woman escaped into the desert, where God had prepared a place for her to be looked after for twelve hundred and sixty days.

Thanks,
-EM

Hello Endeman.

Revelation 12: 1-6
A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.” And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

If you look at a miraculous medal it depicts what is said there in verse 1. So it is talking about the Virgin Mary. The child is Jesus and Herod ordered all the firstborn to be murdered. It is referring to the flight in to Egypt. Jesus ascended to heaven. That’s verse 5b. After the flight in to Egypt Jesus reappears when he is twelve years old. The number 1260 might represent his age without being literal. The events need not be in order but as they were given in the visions. Mary disappear from the gospel, so it could be in relation to that too.

That’s as I understand it. I’m open to correction. It will be interesting to see.

It’s approximately three and a half years, just like the time when the two witnesses preach in Rev. 11:3. (And then their bodies lay around in the street for three and a half days.)

The usual interpretation is that since three days was the time Jesus spent in the Tomb, three and a half years means all the time between Jesus’ first coming and the Second.

Mary the Daughter of Zion; or spiritually, the Church Herself; is living “in the wilderness” of the world but being taken care of God. Mary gave birth to Christ and the Church gives birth to every Christian.

This is great, thanks. I am arguing this verse with Atheists and it is difficult since these ones take the Bible so literally.

I will battle on with this help, God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.