Revelation 2:7 - Hidden Manna

Revelation 2:7 - ***The one having an ear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one overcoming I will give to him the manna having been hidden; ***

Question:
Is this the equivalent of the provided Eucharist during the weekly Sunday-obliged mass?
If it is, how is it said that one must be overcoming when the usual age of initiation is around 9 years old (At least in the U.S.A)? And what is this overcoming?
If it isn’t, how does this hidden manna differ from what is provided at the “usual” (if you can call it usual ;)) Sunday service?

Ciao for now :).

Good questions!

When I read the second Chapter of Revelation, I get the impression that the call to overcome and persevere has consequences in this life and in the next. There seems to be consequences for not repenting and receiving bad doctrine (removed lampstand), and rewards for overcoming (Tree of Life in paradise).

So, it seems that the rewards of overcoming have both consequence in this life and the next. The Lampstand are understood as “angels” or even Bishops. To have a valid Bishop would also mean a valid Communion. But the “Hidden Manna” mentioned seems to refer to “the next life”, which is hidden from us. But that is also part of the nature of His Eucharist! We only see the elements of bread and wine, but know by faith, He is truly there.

:D… I know I am adding to your wonder! But I think the nature of Eucharist Communion is “unseen” or hidden, so that what He promised in this Chapter is to see and be united to what we receive only through faith in this world.

Hi!

…consider that the Sacraments do not work as individual jigsaw puzzle’s pieces that must be brought together to conform to a specific design; rather, the Sacraments work for and within the Body (the Church)… since in Heaven there be no need to be fueled/nourished with a Spiritual nourishment, in my estimation, it must mean the Holy Eucharist.

Yet, once Baptized into the Body of Christ all of His members are nourished by Him through Faith as well as through the Sacraments:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]11 But all these things one and the same Spirit worketh, dividing to every one according as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members; and all the members of the body, whereas they are many, yet are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether bond or free; and in one Spirit we have all been made to drink. 14 For the body also is not one member, but many.

(1 Corinthians 12:11-14)

5 For though I be absent in body, yet in spirit I am with you; rejoicing, and beholding your order, and the steadfastness of your faith which is in Christ. 6 As therefore you have received Jesus Christ the Lord, walk ye in him; 7 Rooted and built up in him, and confirmed in the faith, as also you have learned, abounding in him in thanksgiving. (Colossians 2:5-7)

15 But doing the truth in charity, we may in all things grow up in him who is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body, being compacted and fitly joined together, by what every joint supplieth, according to the operation in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body, unto the edifying of itself in charity. (Ephesians 4:15-16)
It is in this Unity of the Body that the Church Moves; hence, children who are brought up by their parents/guardians in the Faith receive their portion of the Hidden Manna even prior to their initiation in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. As they mature in the Faith they join the Body in a greater measure…

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

I SUSPECT [me personally here] that the mania spoken of is God’s necessarily singular truths per defined issue.

Blessings

Patrick

Better to have mania than hateful indifference or opposition, eh?
I suspect you intended to type: manna :wink: for the benefit of the doubt.

D-R Bible:

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches: To him that overcometh, I will give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of my God.

Haydock Commentary:

“To him, to every one that overcometh, I will give to eat of the tree of life, (that is, eternal happiness, differently expressed in these letters) which is in the paradise of my God. It is spoke in the person of Christ, as man. (Witham)”

The overcoming is the Christian new birth

1 John 5:4 “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that overcomes the world, our faith”

Jesus is the new manna (the new bread)

John 6:49 I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

The new born Christian eats the bread in faith that it is the the body of Jesus he eats.

1 Corinthians 11:27 “Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.