Revelation 20:15

I’m not questioning which version is the best, but I found differences in few versions. Here I take 2 versions: KJV & NIV.

Revelation 20:15 (KJV) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:15 (NIV) Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Which one is the correct translation? What’s the Greek?
Also what will happen if people have the same name?

The same name ? you really take this book literally :smiley:

Word for word, the Greek and the Latin Vulgate are closer to the KJV than the NIV. But do you really see a difference in meaning between the two?

Greek: και ει τις ουχ ευρεθη εν τη βιβλω της ζωης γεγραμμενος εβληθη εις την λιμνην του πυρος

Latin: et qui non est inventus in libro vitae scriptus missus est in stagnum ignis

Also what will happen if people have the same name?

Do you really think God, who sees all and knows all, will be confused over who is who???

Book says Mike White. Hmmmm. The photo is missing.
Is that Mike Ed White?
Or Mike Al White?
Or maybe it’s Michael (NMI) White?
There’s a Mike White who died in Lexington in 1910, and another who died in London in 1987…

Oh, wait a minute, it’s pronounced Mike Whit-ee.
Paging Mike Whit-ee, paging Mike Whit-ee, will Mike Whit-ee report to the front of the line?
The first 500 Mike Whit-ees who report in will get bonus tickets in the “Get Out of Hell” lottery.
Is your name Mike Whit-ee? Please open your mouth for a DNA swab.

LOL I’m sorry :rotfl: I don’t know what to say now :blush:

it’s who you are, that’s important, not your baptismal name :slight_smile:

Respectfully, do you really think that God has an actual spiral notebook with names in it, or do you think the text is allegorically referring to those who have lived their life right and die in the state of grace? I think it’s the latter. God , who knows the number of hairs on our head and every sparrow that falls or flies,according to Jesus, is so far beyond spiral notebooks that there is no comparison.
Secondly, I suspect the one place where none of us will require picture ID’s is when we stand before God in judgement! :thumbsup:

Well, I was thinking it’s like a reaaally old, big, & thick spiritual parchment book :rolleyes:
Nevermind now :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

At that point everybody has their tickets already. it will either read: Your seat is on the right of the Judge :slight_smile: or Your seat is on the left of the Judge :frowning:.
Both of them will have instructions on the back. The one with the right seat, pun intended, will say on the back: Advance to Go! and you get the 400$. The other ticket will say: Go directly to Hell! Do not pass Go, do not collect 200$.
Make sure you get the ticket on the right, so you can be well seated. God will recognize you, he made you. Good luck!

Every Catholic parish has a “Book of Life” in which they record the names of those who have received the sacraments.

-Tim-

Ooh, nice to hear. Would love to be in the list one day :slight_smile:

If you pay your tithe, it is.

I see, thank you.

I agree that the KJV is closer, since, in the two English translations, the only substantive difference is the opening: “And whosoever” (KJV) versus “Anyone whose name” (NIV). The KJV keeps the connective, and whosoever is non strictly affirmative: the NIV (and the Latin) makes it sound like a definite event, whereas the Greek has a conditional (“if anyone”).

Book says Mike White. Hmmmm. The photo is missing. (etc)

:rotfl: This bit was great!

It does rather remind me of a poem (Byron’s Vision of Judgment) in which a man of rather questionable morality takes advantage of Satan’s arguing with Michael to slip into Heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.